• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Eye Toby

gaynor

:( Hi i have had toby two weeks tomorrow my vet has told me that he has dry eye in both eyes also his ears are infected as well, I would love to know if there was any natural product for his eyes ?
I have a little nick name for toby he is my chunky monkey and i love .......... him.

I'm not aware of any natural products for eyes, and I'm sure more information would be appreciated.

How old is Toby? Has he had dry eye issues before? Are his ear issues yeast?

:( Hi i have had toby two weeks tomorrow my vet has told me that he has dry eye in both eyes also his ears are infected as well, I would love to know if there was any natural product for his eyes ?
I have a little nick name for toby he is my chunky monkey and i love .......... him.

Hi Gaynor and welcome Toby. Pictures would be nice, we all love them.

Holly P is the third Cavalier I have had over the years with dry eye. I assume that your vet has done the Schirmer Test, i.e. checked the flow of tears per minute by inserting a thin piece of card like paper into the corner of the eye, which has changed colour as the salty tears have touched it. Anything below 15 shows the need for treatment, but when you get up to 20 everything is normal. Do you know what Toby's count was?

If the count is 15 or below, as I have said, treatment is needed to lubricate the eye and artificial tears are usually prescribed too, otherwise it's rather like the eyeball being rubbed down with sandpaper, often resulting in corneal ulcers, which can eventually cause blindness.

The usual ointments prescribed are Lacrilube to stimulate tear production and either Lacrilube or Visco Tears to provide artificial ones. Lacrilube is a thicker and longer lasting product than Visco Tears.

To be honest I haven't heard of any effective alternative medicine products which work as well as those I have named, except for some rare and more serious cases as Holly P's, requiring medicines usually prescribed for humans.

From what you say I would think that Toby has ear mites. Infected ears like this usually have a strong cheesey smell, but the mites are easily cured by any of the range of ointments or drops that your vet will prescribe. Mites can also be killed and prevented from coming back by using one of the multi use spot on flea treatments such as Stronghold or Advocate, which also kill other pests too. Your vet is able to suppply these or you can ask for a prescription so that you can buy them on line.

Hope this helps. :)

dry eye

:) Hi i have only had toby 2 weeks and i think his eyes are getting better as we speak, i bath them twice a day and put drops in i dont think they were doing this at the kennel.
Also i clean his ears twice a day and they are looking great i have put surulan drops in his ears. He is looking a lot happier i know it will take a long time for him to get used to a human life situation but he is doing great at the moment.
thank you for your advice x

I'm not aware of any natural products for eyes, and I'm sure more information would be appreciated.

How old is Toby? Has he had dry eye issues before? Are his ear issues yeast?

Back