• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Day 13 and still flowing!!!

hbmama

Okay, Dottie is on day 13 of her first (and LAST) heat. She is STILL spotting blood.:eek: I had heard that the discharge only lasted 7 to 10 days. How much longer can I expect that she will keep this up :confused:. Also, do I add days onto her prison sentence now, or is keeping her sequestered for 30 days total enough? Except for the discharge, she seems oblivious and is happy, bouncy, cuddly, funny, has a good appetite and good stool activity.:rolleyes: Anyone?

Hi!

First seasons are funny things indeed, I have to say right now that the hormones released can either be very light or very heavy, I have heard tell of a bitch who was in heat for six full weeks first time around :yikes: Others will have a very light heat seem to "stop" then come back into heat some 3-4 weeks later.

I have had bitches who have bled all the way through their season and have been mated and had large healthy litters, and others who have bled little, barely swollen and also been mated and had good sized healthy litters too! I currently have an 8 month old who is also experiencing her first heat, no colour now (danger time!!) and her grandpa is certainly aware of her (NO WAY Logan!!)

Personnally I would wait at least 6 weeks from day 1 of her heat before you allow her into the general community again, also advise a nice soapy bath before!! HTH??

Okay, Dottie is on day 13 of her first (and LAST) heat. She is STILL spotting blood.:eek: I had heard that the discharge only lasted 7 to 10 days. How much longer can I expect that she will keep this up :confused:. Also, do I add days onto her prison sentence now, or is keeping her sequestered for 30 days total enough? Except for the discharge, she seems oblivious and is happy, bouncy, cuddly, funny, has a good appetite and good stool activity.:rolleyes: Anyone?

Mine bleed 7-11 days and then they change to a lighter color for another week. Total time of discharge is an average of 17 days. fwiw

Well, that's a good point. Don't know if I'd want all those guys hanging around the door though... :rotfl:

HAHA....Yeah, my girl thinks all of this is mildly interesting. She is content no matter what. Panties on or off, she could care less. We will just hole up here until the bitter end and then count a few months until the BIG SNIP! Can't wait. She would have already been done if I hadn't sorta promised her breeder I would wait out one season. :rolleyes:

Hi hbmama, if it makes you feel any better, Phoebe is having her first season and she is still spotting/bleeding and we are now into day seventeen! I've noticed however that her botty area is definitely looking less swollen and have come to the conclusion that her vulva returning to it's normal appearance may be a good indicator that things are finally over. I intend to be careful with her for another couple of weeks but I cannot wait to get back to normal. We are off to visit friends tomorrow and intend to leave Phoebe at home with my daughter, this means that she is going to miss out on a lovely long walk on the beach :( but I just would not want to risk taking her out. Like you, I intend to get my pup spayed before we have to put her through this again and I also wanted to honour my promise to the breeder that we would allow her to have her first season. It shouldn't be too long now before we both can enjoy long walks with our little girls again!!:razz: Please let me know how you get along for the next couple of weeks.

Believe it or not there was a story in one of today's Sundays about a woman running a city centre doggie daycare and she just casually notes that she has a female in heat in at the moment that is driving all the other dogs crazy.

:sl*p: :eek: :sl*p: :eek: :sl*p:

Unbelievable. There is no way any day care or kennel should ever take females in heat unless they have isolation kennels which this place does not; it's a small city centre doggie clothes boutique and daycare. I am not even sure how she separates this dog or any dog, off from the others!! How would you like your male to be there for a whole day with a female in heat, totally frustrated and aggravated and likely to be involved in fights with other males, then perhaps coming home to mark all over the inside of your house? When I had a foster in my house that had to be spayed mid-heat, Leo went around challenging all the male dogs of any size in the neighbourhood for a week after she left, and he's neutered!! It can really affect the boys regardless of whether their gears are stripped.

Hint: asking a daycare or kennel what their policy is on admitting females in heat is a good way to judge their level of experience and professionalism.

Back