• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: part two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove over 700 miles, had high hopes and NO PUPPIES.

That must have been devastating Sandy! All of that hard work...I'm so sorry.

I'm finding this part of this conversation absolutely fascinating. Sandy, I really do appreciate your input and perspective. If I didn't want it....I wouldn't have asked for it. There are some great questions and great responses.

Anyone have time to do a rebuttal on Dog World-online-news-Cavaliers? Dr. Ingpen again being touted as an authority- that is just wrong.. I can't get on.

What really concerns me is the difficulty involved in obtaining a puppy from a breeder who follows the suggested SM protocol. It's very easy for us to say what puppy buyers must look for in a breeder, but I know from personal experience that this is an extremely difficult process. In the U.S. there are a small number of breeders following BOTH the MVD and SM protocols and getting in touch with these people is difficult, not to mention actually getting a puppy.

I believe that puppy buyers will play a large role in the future of properly bred cavaliers, but I am concerned with what this outcome may be. I threw myself into learning about the breed and health issues, literally forced myself upon a few good breeders, was willing to travel and pay top dollar for a puppy, and waited almost seven months for Holly. It wasn't easy and I'm not sure how many people are willing to do it. I would love to say that if buyers aren't willing to do it right, then they just won't have a cavalier -- but we all know better and we know where these puppies eventually come from.

I think some focus needs to be put on how we can make the process easier and more affordable for wonderful breeders like Sandy, increase the number of such breeders, and increase the chances that the AVERAGE puppy buyer will obtain a properly-bred cavalier.

Sandy,

I'm sorry no pups were conceived from that mating :( I'll bet you wonder why you bother sometimes. Just goes to show that there is no justice in this world when puppy farmers seem to get pups from every mating and no healthcare involved :(

I don't know whether I should be proud of the fact that my baby is rare or not but referring back to the quote in post 183 about syrinxes low down being rare .... Well, my Maxx has a huge one, right near his tail. With the horrid weather we're having at the moment, it's really playing him up but he's still as wonderful as ever & it never affects his beautiful personality, bless him :l*v: .

It just scares me to think that if my Vet hadn't insisted on a full length scan then we'd have been none the wiser & we wouldn't have known what we were treating. He acts the same way as a cavalier with full anal glands or an anal gland infection, dragging his botty or spinning round in circles on the floor and lots of air licking at the same time.

I get his glands emptied regularly (just in case) but there's rarely any problem with them. The syrinx however does cause quite a few problems :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back