• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Passing blood

murphy's mum

Murphy started having diarrhea last night at midnight, he's had it all night, but now he's been passing blood!:yikes

The first time it was thick, and bright red, now it more watery. He's never had it so bad. He didn't eat anything different yesterday, he got wormed, and my sister came over with her Cav. Thats it. Scoffed his tea at half 6. Absolutly nothing different.

Over night he hasn't drank anything, or this morning:(

Called the vet but he's not in Dumfries at the moment, he's going to call when he's heading back. Wants to 'nip this in the bud'. I hope he calls soon.

Murphy's curled up tight in my lap as I type this, he seems ok apart from that, still got lots of love for his Mummy:)

Passing blood is always a sign to call a vet immediately so you have done just what you should do. (y)

A serious worm load can cause a dog to pass blood, as can an obstruction, or serious gastroenteritis. As dogs can get very sick fast, it is important to get the dog to a vet, as you are doing. I am sure he will be fine until your vet can see him. Most likely it will be gastroenteritis and he'll probably give Murphy some antibiotics, perhaps a pain shot, and probably have him on a bland diet for the next week or so.

I'd not feed him anything til you talk to the vet or only a small amount of chicken and rice.

Back from the vets, it wasn't my ususal one, but he was really nice. He gave him 2 injections, and 2 lots of tablets, one Canikur is a Dietary supplement, and the other Buscopan is to slow his bowl movements down. He thinks he's ate something, but I watch him like a hawk as the 2 cats are always bringing things back which Murphy would love to haveicon_nwunsure and haven't seen him at anything.

I asked if it could be anything to do with being wormed yesterday, but he said it was 'unlikely'

He said the blood was cause his bowls are irritated, and not to feed him until tomorrow. I'll try him with a tiny bit of chicken and rice, lucky it's Bank holiday and we're both off

I haven't fed him since last night so the last time he tried going to the toilet it was just little drips that came out, so his tummy must be empty now. He's just lying down on his bed at the moment, but he had a little to drink which is good:)

Thanks guys:D

Poor little man! But yes, it is good that he is drinking. Fluids are so important. Clear broth is great for getting the fluids up too. You can strain it of all solids so it doesn't stir up his tummy. I hope he is feeling better really fast.
:luv:

It's good that you got him to the vet's quick and are getting him sorted, hope he is better soon.

Oh poor Murphy, I sure can relate...my two are getting over a bout of very bad liquid diarrhea, altho they didn't have any blood in their stools. Bentley is back to normal now, but poor Bailey still has liquid stools, and I sat up with him most of the night last night. My vet also suggested I try Gatorade for my dogs, but they both turned their noses up at it. They've been drinking their water tho, and that's good Murphy is drinking too.

Let us know how Murphy does, my boys have had it for about 5 days now, whatever "it" is they have. My vet told me that as long as they aren't vomiting and in any pain, that was a good sign. And they are both acting OK too.

{{Hugs}} to you and Murphy!

Looking for advice about Murphy. He's not drank since just after 12 this afternoon, he's been sleeping a lot though, practically all day. This is the first he had since his runs stopped.

He normally drinks more than this. His skin is nice and springy after pinching it, but I feel worried. I had to feed him a dietary supplement via a syringe this morning and this evening, both times it was mixed with 20ml of water. I also gave him 10ml of just water to wash it down.

Comment/advice please:)

My vet was real concerned about dehydration when my dogs had the diarrhea, and he told me check their gums....feel if the dogs' gums felt dry and tacky, and also to check the color of the gums (they should be pink I am told). They told me that I wouldn't be able to give them enough liquids with a syringe, and that if they were truly dehydrated that I would need to bring them in and that they may need an IV drip. So, I would check the gums, and see if they feel dry and tacky. It wouldn't hurt to make a vet visit and just have his vitals all checked out. Or, perhaps you could just put a call in to your vet and see what they say. I was worried about how much mine were drinking too, because there was one day I didn't see them drink at all, and they still had the runs....but, by that evening they were both drinking like normal again. I know how worrisome it is when they are ill, I about gave myself a nervous breakdown from worrying.

I'd give the vet a call to get some advice on it. If he is not eating & is sleeping a lot he probably doesn't need as much water asif he were to be doing both of those things, but whenever in doubt, it is the vet's advice that is the safest.

I spoke to the vet again last night, he wasn't overly concerned, cause he had had fluids with his supplement. He said to wait until today.

Murphy has had 2 small meals of chicken and rice, and is drinking no problem today, we've even been out for a short walk. He's now snoozing again. He even wanted to play earlier so he must be feeling better.

I'm so relieved:D

Thanks for the support

Hello!

I am sorry to hear that Murphy hasn't been well, but you have done the right thing by seeking veterinary advice, blood in the stools is never a good sign.

The main thing with this is that your dog drinks plenty of fluid, I always give mine some liquid kaolin, you can get a variety from Boots with Morphine in it, this usually works well by calming the dogs stomach down.

Another piece of advice would be to avoid anything dairy right now, I.E Eggs, cheese, milk etc as this can actually play their tums up again. Generally I starve my dogs in this situation, plenty of cold fresh water available, then once things have settled down, in about 24-48 hrs time feed a light diet of chicken and rice gradually weaning the dog back onto it's usual diet.

As Murphy has had a severe attack it will take longer for things to settle back down again, but, and please believe me on this, in a few days time he will be his old self again and you will wonder what all the fuss was about, until you get the vets bill that is!!:eek: :eek:

Don't worry totally avoided all that stuff, it's been small meals of chicken and rice today:D

He's been great, he seems back to normal, just waiting on the 1st poo so we can inspect it. Nice:yuk:

As for the vet bill, unfortunately that was paid yesterday, didn't realise how much extra they charged for a weekend treatment. But he's totally worth it:)

I haven't got time to read all the replies so excuse me if I'm repeating what anyone else has said.

I had a phone call from the very sweet lady who designed the Mekuti harness, Rachael Manns. I recommended this site to her and she rang me very worried about your Murphy and asked me to post this info.

She said wormers can cause the bleeding. She said the mildest wormer on the market is Milbermax. She also said that she knows a retired vet who works with homeopathic remedies who would prescribe "Aristendo". His name is James Newns. His number is 01822 833402.

Here's her web site, she also does Tellington TTouch therapy.

http://www.mekuti.co.uk/

I'll be giving her a review in the general section later when I get 5mins! My daughter came back from Sweden (minus my camera) today and my dad might need sectioning this week :(

Pauline xxx

Murphy's Mum told me he did in fact take Milbermax. My trainer told me Panacur is the mildest as they give that to 3 week old puppies.

Last edited:
I asked if it could be anything to do with being wormed yesterday, but he said it was 'unlikely'

He said the blood was cause his bowls are irritated, and not to feed him until tomorrow. I'll try him with a tiny bit of chicken and rice, lucky it's Bank holiday and we're both off

Thanks guys:D

Hi Murphys mum, just my experience, my George had lungworm, it causes a bleeding tendency and when he was wormed it made it worse as it killed the worms too quickly. My vet too thought the blood was a tummy irritation and treated him for that. They got it wrong and I lost him at 7 months (how old is Murphy?). Please ask for a faecal exam for worms, particularly Angiostrongylus vasorum. I don't want to frighten you but some vets are really don't know their stuff when it comes to the symptoms, worming and using the correct wormers. One of the vets I tried got all the names and treatments mixed up and I spent an hour in with him explaining them to him. I know lungworm is rare in Scotland but it used to be rare in the UK full stop but things change.

This thread might be useful http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=16598

Last edited:
Poor Murphy

I so sorry to hear you are having this problem with Murphy. I to had this two week ago with my Lightingbug......I took him to ER vet they did all the poop test inject him with fluids and put him antibiotics and something to make the poop hard. He was put on a rice and cottage cheese diet and ice cube until he felt better. He was like Murphy up, down sleeping than seem like he was getting better. I keep inspecting his poop but, nothing. On the 4th day he end up at the vet on IV for dehydration they did a complete blood panle to check liver and kidney function. Lighting poop just before leaveing to the vet.....I found hard plastic one nice sharp piece. I have know idea where he got it....and eat it. I am glad he is starting to fell better....vet think he may also have had allegic reaction to the plastic. I'm broke too! But, my bug means the world to me. I sure hope you can get Murphy better too!

Back