• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took BellaMia to the Emergency Vet Today

Sydneys Mom

Last night she was very lethergic. At bedtime, she wouldn't get up to go potty at all. I finally got her to stand, but she was very hesitant. Seemed like she didn't want to put any weight on her front legs. I carried her to bed and she slept all night.

This morning, she wouldn't get out of her kennel, iI had to lift her out and carry her outside. Once I put her in the grass, she slowly walked around a bit and peed. She walked a little more and pooped. It was soft and mushy with mucus. The mucus was red. She did eat breakfast, but was still very lethargic.

We bagged up her poop for a fecal, which showed negative for parasites. Blood work done came back normal also. They gave her an injection for nausea, subcut. fluids, plus I have a prescription for diarrhea. She ate a bit when we got home, and has just been laying around. Her walking is better. If anything changes for the worse, we'll bring her back to emergency, otherwise I will just follow up with our vet next week.

Sorry to hear Bella Mia isn't feeling well. Did they say whether the mucus had blood in it since it was red? If so, it is possible that there might be a lesion, she ate something that might have somewhat cut her digestive lining? There is a medication that helps with the digestive system, sort of a coating that helps healing. I would have to look up in his file what we gave Killian one time he was dealing with passing some blood in his stool. Has there been any indication that she might be anemic? One thing Cavaliers are prone for is very low platelet counts and very large platelets. Has her blood work noted this? Did she have a fever at all? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to find out to help.

Oh no -- hope she is gradually improving. It's hard when they can't identify anything and you don't have a clear answer. :( Fingers crossed for you ad BellaMia, Joyce. They can just get a bit under the weather or have a fast moving tummy bug like we do so hope it is a transient problem and she's back to herself quickly.

I hope she's feeling better soon. It's so hard when they're lethargic and look so sad. You just want to cuddle them like a child. But you also want them to be able to tell you what's wrong too. Like Karlin said, I hope it's a fast moving bug that's out of her system soon.

Hope BellaMia will be better soon - it's so hard when you don't know what's happening and spend every minute watching to see if she's getting worse...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Well, she is better. Last night she gobbled up her dinner of chicken and rice. She was a little more active too! This morning, though not her usual self, she is more alert and had no problem with breakfast. She still has bloody diarrhea, not too much, so we are keeping an eye on that.

The ER vet was very knowledgable. He of course mentioned the worse case senerios, but didn't feel like this was the case for her. Then he surprised me with his knowledge of cavaliers. While he was listening to her heart, he says he heard no murmur, then went on to ask if we were familiar with this breed and their health issues. I told him we were, but he still briefly told us about cavaliers and heart issues and SM! He didn't go into a lot of detail as that wasn't the issue we were there for, but he wanted to make sure we were aware.

Anyway, I am calling our regular vet tomorrow to schedule a follow up appointment.

Oh goodness what a scare for you, so sorry Joyce :(

Glad to hear that BellaMia is brighter today, really hope she will be bouncing again by tomorrow.

How fantastic to have such an informed vet!!

I have an appointment with our vet tomorrow morning. Bella is still having bloody diarrhea. One thing I just thought of is that the emregency vet didn't check her anal glands. Wonder if that could be the issue. I could smack myself for not thinking of it on Saturday.

I'm also bringing Milo in. He was neutered at the end of July. Lately, he's been licking the site. When I looked at it, it looked and feels like an internal stitch or staple is poking out. Need to get that checked out too.

Poor Bella Mia! And poor you! It's so worrisome when they're sick. I hope the vet can figure it out this morning and you don't have to wait long for results. Does her bottom look swollen and/or raw? Good luck today. We all want that sweet little ruby to feel and be well.

Well the vet visit was uneventful, which, I guess, is a good thing. BellaMia's poop is still bloody, so we will continue with bland diet until her stool firms up. The vet also extended the medication from 5 days to 7 days. Bella is eating well, playing and running, so for now, we're just going with a tummy bug. I'm to call her at the end of the week and give her an update.

Milo is fine.....it was just a little enternal stitch which she snipped off.

Joyce that's good to hear. :) My Lily gets these thing on and off and aways remains normal in every other way. The blood clears up right away with some vet kaopectate. I remain baffled as to the cause, as does my vet.

Back