• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Too many firecrackers

SuzRN

Now that the fouth is over, I have to say my predictions of how the girls would do were off. Chelsea,(my nervous post tramatic stress dog who suffers panic episodes) did very well with the M80's going off on the street behind us. Little normal barking but not much else.

Vivian, was another story. When they started up at 0830, went in the house, pulled blinds, turned up TV and tried to keep them occupied. Vivian had enough and started hiding in the guest room then the bath in the dark. Dosed her with some benadryl, and after an hour she finally stayed out with me, after hiding severial times. She is so calm and unflapable I would never expect that she would be this affected.

Next year, meds early. :eek:

What to other members do to deal with the fireworks?

What to other members do to deal with the fireworks?
The sale of fireworks to the public is banned by law in Australia. However for special events permits might be issued to those who have government issued pyrotechnician licences. Such special events are well publicised and so is the time the fireworks begin. The closest fireworks to my home is miles away and doesn't go on for too long so really no problem to us.

The sale of fireworks to the public is banned by law in Australia
I wish they were banned here. They went from before dark, around 7:30, till after midnight all around the house. The dogs refused to go out to potty. :*gh: I'm worn out.

Daisy barks and runs to the door at first. I give her a treat the first few times they go off and she gets nervous or excited (BEFORE she has a chance to bark at it -- I don't want to reward the barking, I want to reward the non-reaction.) That really helps. It turns a big negative scary thing to a positive. She was pretty good last night and there were a LOT of fireworks (including our own). When a big one went off, she would whip her head around to look at me to see if a treat was coming.

They went from before dark, around 7:30, till after midnight all around the house.
Many years ago that was the scene in Australia and many shops sold heaps of all sorts of firecrackers. Also at the local park there was a huge bonfire which many attended, well Australia once was a British Colony and in my younger years at school I even heard about Guy Fawkes. Things did change in Australia and it was 30 years ago that the first state in Australia banned the sale of fireworks to the public, in time other states did also. Fireworks and even bonfires still happen in Australia but in a "controlled manor", and gees today to celebrate the new year or some other special event some people really do like to see a great professional display of fireworks at some locality.

The sale of fireworks to the public is banned by law in Australia.

Why on earth did I not emigrate to your wonderful country while I was still young enough for them to want me?

Unregulated fireworks are one of the things I most hate in the world - they have increased so much in power and intensity over recent years and are now available for more or less any Tom, Dick, or Harry (or Harriet of course) to buy for any insignificant event at any time of the year. It's a disgrace, but I'm sure one day the UK will see sense and follow suit.
Angrydevil.gif

I live near to several large and famous "posh" hotels which cater for weddings etc and recently we have had pyrotechnics after 11 pm on several occasions. It's not only dogs and domestic pets which suffer either. Just think of the farm animals and wildlife - nobody else usually does! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Headbangingpoog02.gif

We went to my in-laws flat, as we have been doing over the past 4 years, to watch the fireworks from their living room (which has a nice view of the fireworks show being put up by the city).

As we were going to be there for half the day, we brought Skippy along rather than leaving him at home.

As soon as the fireworks started I put Skippy in my lap. He was intrigued by the lights and sounds, and never gave any indication that he was alarmed or wanted to get away. That said, we did have the thick glass sliding door closed, so the sounds were much softer than they would normally be too.

Our Abigail could have cared less about the local fireworks ( which were worse on the 3rd).

Our golden on the other hand was beside herself:(

She only calmed down when I got them a new nylabone to chew.(y)

Heather R

Why on earth did I not emigrate to your wonderful country while I was still young enough for them to want me?

Unregulated fireworks are one of the things I most hate in the world - they have increased so much in power and intensity over recent years and are now available for more or less any Tom, Dick, or Harry (or Harriet of course) to buy for any insignificant event at any time of the year. It's a disgrace, but I'm sure one day the UK will see sense and follow suit.
Angrydevil.gif

I live near to several large and famous "posh" hotels which cater for weddings etc and recently we have had pyrotechnics after 11 pm on several occasions. It's not only dogs and domestic pets which suffer either. Just think of the farm animals and wildlife - nobody else usually does! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Headbangingpoog02.gif

Wow! I would hate that! Once a year is enough. In our city, they are illegal every day except the 4th of July and maybe a day or 2 before. A few years ago, our neighbor had some left over and set off some the day after the 4th, and the police came and stopped him. So apparently they mean business.

Back