• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog

Take a look at the blog about the Bulldogs. The dog was so restless, so obviously in distress, and the colour of his tongue is unbelievable.

The hall was not hot, just comfortable. These dogs must suffer so much during a warm summer.

It is incredible that people were there looking at these dogs as a choice for a pet and even the owners -- presumably well-informed about the breed -- could not see that there is definite distress. I think it is yet again an example of why legislation is needed to FORCE changes in the way dogs are bred as even the breed aficionados and breeders cannot see what any vet could diagnose just by looking at those dogs. The average person would not recognise the problems but more than one vet I know has looked at that footage and agrees they are having serious respiratory problems evidenced by the tongue going purple.

There is no way I would ever personally condone malformation of any animal or any suffering, accidental or otherwise, but

Knowing nothing about this breed or it's health status I do not feel myself able to comment. Surely there was at least one experienced vet on duty and present throughout at least part of the event. Surely some caring person, perhaps Ms Harrison or any camera operator used by her should have reported this dog's apparent suffering to that vet so that the dog could be expertly examined and withdrawn from the event if appropriate.

Past experience tells me that video evidence may not always be as it seems, but I was not there and have no idea of the true circumstances of the filming.

There is no way I would ever personally condone malformation of any animal or any suffering, accidental or otherwise, but

Knowing nothing about this breed or it's health status I do not feel myself able to comment. Surely there was at least one experienced vet on duty and present throughout at least part of the event. Surely some caring person, perhaps Ms Harrison or any camera operator used by her should have reported this dog's apparent suffering to that vet so that the dog could be expertly examined and withdrawn from the event if appropriate.

Past experience tells me that video evidence may not always be as it seems, but I was not there and have no idea of the true circumstances of the filming.

Hello Flo,

You obviously did not read the blog. The Bulldogs' distress was reported.

Quote.........

"The dogs were in such a poor state that I reported them to the show vet and showed him my footage, mentioning who I was. "Could you hang on here a moment while I go and show this to the Kennel Club" asked Eric the vet, reaching out for my iPhone (on which I filmed the dogs). Fearing my beloved Apple portable device might meet a sudden and untimely end once in KC paws, I said I would stay put while they fetched someone. Eric disappeared. I waited. Who would it be, I wondered. I waited some more. No one came. But of course - they would have gone straight to the Bulldog stand! I left my phone number with the veterinary nurse and hot-tailed it to the Bulldog stand just in time to see Eric the vet and KC Secretary Caroline Kisko ushering the two bulldogs and their unhappy owners off the stand. And it wasn't just for a quick vet-check either. They didn't return."

I'm absolutely appalled!

Margaret you were spot on regarding the haw on the Neo. What in god's name are breeders doing? That Neo had far more wrinkles than the dog I first saw 30 years ago! Why oh why do people have to breed to extremes instead of a "standard" or average??

Hello Flo,

You obviously did not read the blog. The Bulldogs' distress was reported.

Quote.........

"The dogs were in such a poor state that I reported them to the show vet and showed him my footage, mentioning who I was. "Could you hang on here a moment while I go and show this to the Kennel Club" asked Eric the vet, reaching out for my iPhone (on which I filmed the dogs). Fearing my beloved Apple portable device might meet a sudden and untimely end once in KC paws, I said I would stay put while they fetched someone. Eric disappeared. I waited. Who would it be, I wondered. I waited some more. No one came. But of course - they would have gone straight to the Bulldog stand! I left my phone number with the veterinary nurse and hot-tailed it to the Bulldog stand just in time to see Eric the vet and KC Secretary Caroline Kisko ushering the two bulldogs and their unhappy owners off the stand. And it wasn't just for a quick vet-check either. They didn't return."

You are quite right of course Margaret and I apologise. In fact I saw the video and felt physically sick, so sick that I clicked off the site. Then I thought about it, but could not go back to it, so I posted as I did.

Full marks to Ms Kisko et al for responding so effectively. I think that while still imperfect the KC are trying their best to bring about improvement.

You are quite right of course Margaret and I apologise. In fact I saw the video and felt physically sick, so sick that I clicked off the site. Then I thought about it, but could not go back to it, so I posted as I did.

Full marks to Ms Kisko et al for responding so effectively. I think that while still imperfect the KC are trying their best to bring about improvement.

I do wish I could agree that the KC is trying their best, but there is no real evidence that is so.

From what I have seen, heard, and experienced, the KC is still only concerned about health issues when embarassed into taking action.

...What in god's name are breeders doing? That Neo had far more wrinkles than the dog I first saw 30 years ago! Why oh why do people have to breed to extremes instead of a "standard" or average??

Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them (in the USA, at least) have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

Unlike the Neo, this has nothing to do with the dogs' outward physical appearances or the breed standard. And yet, because most all CKCS breeders think only as far as their next generation of future champions, the entire breed continues to suffer. Remember, it is much, much easier to breed champion cavaliers when you ignore health testing and breeding protocols.

How do these breeders deal with the criticisms? Like one of the comments on the pedigreedogsexposed.com blog, they attack those who bring this information forward. They accuse these mostly pet owners of ignorance ("I'm a breeder and you're not!") and egotism. I have found that one of the best ways to strike cavalier breeders from your list is to read how they respond pet owners who urge breeders to follow health testing protocols. My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.

Last edited:
Pedigree dogs exposed

Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

Unlike the Neo, this has nothing to do with the dogs' outward physical appearances or the breed standard. And yet, because most all CKCS breeders think only as far as their next generation of future champions, the entire breed continues to suffer. Remember, it is much, much easier to breed champion cavaliers when you ignore health testing and breeding protocols.

How do these breeders deal with the criticisms? Like one of the comments on the pedigreedogsexposed.com blog, they attack those who bring this information forward. They accuse these mostly pet owners of ignorance ("I'm a breeder and you're not!") and egotism. I have found that one of the best ways to strike cavalier breeders from your list is to read how they respond pet owners who urge breeders to follow health testing protocols. My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.

Thanks Rod for your Post, I am having quite a Battle on another Forum about the SM and MVD Problem in Cavaliers .

One Cavalier Breeder has just stated that,the SM and MVD Problems in Cavaliers should Never have been put in the Public Domain.

That telling Cavalier Buyers about SM has made them Fearful.Any -way what is in the Public Arena about the SM and MVD in Cavaliers is Untrue.

I just cannot agree with this Statement ,the Cavalier Buying have got to be being made aware to only buy from a Cavalier Breeder who is Health Testing and following the Breeding Guideline Recomendations ,not to Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age, and know the Health Status of the Grand-Parents at 5.

I just don't know enough about the Pedigree Back-ground of
Cavaliers with SM, but do know that ,as I have often said ,that Cavaliers in the 1940's and 19 50's who were being used at Stud, were dying from Heart Trouble at 6-8 years of age.

So could one of the Reasons be why the MVD Problem is not Improving ,is that there are now so many Cavalier Carriers around now with the MVD Genes., as a result of Breeding from those Early Cavaliers who were suffering from Heart Trouble.

Are even Long Lived Cavaliers Carriers of the MVD Genes,if they are what a Mess the Cavalier Breed is in.

I could be Contradicting my-self , saying about Health Testing and following tbe Breeding Guideline Recommendations on Cavalier Breeding Stock, but by doing this ,even although there are Cavalier Carriers of SM and MVD Genes, maybe through time those Carrier Genes will get Diluted.

Any-body got any thoughts about this.

Bet

Say One Thing, Do Another

Well, consider the CKCS. Since 1997/1998, breeders in the UK & USA have known how to breed early-onset mitral valve disease out of the breed within three generations. All they have had to do is follow the MVD breeding protocol -- http://cavalierhealth.org/mvdprotocol.htm But about 98% of them have refused to do so. So, early onset MVD persists, with over half of all cavaliers developing murmurs by their fifth birthday, then followed by MVD's progression to painful, premature deaths.

Nothing has changed except the hypocrisy becomes more blatant. I call them the "Say One Thing, Do Another" crowd

I read the Breed Record Supplement..... Club Members mating 14 month bitches, back to back matings becoming commonplace in some breeding programmes, so that one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months..............Now isn't that the sort of thing that puppy farmers are suppose to do, not responsible club breeders that had signed to say they would accept the Club's rules?

And then there is one of the latest Champions, with puppies born when he is only 14 months, not just a proving litter, more litters have been born and more on the way.
Owner is a regional club health representative.

Last edited:
The blog's criticism of the American Kennel Club is not quite fair in this instance. The AKC has no initial say in matters pertaining to particular breeds. That authority is in the hands of the "parent club" for that breed, which here would be the Dalmatian Club of America (DCA).

There is nothing unique about an AKC parent club being stacked with harden-hearted breeders more concerned about championships than relieving future generations of puppies from intense pain and early deaths. For instance, I can think of at least one other AKC parent club which has refused to even acknowledge the existence of the cavaliers' MVD breeding protocol, much less urge its members to follow it.

Imagine the AKC commissioning a study of early-onset MVD in CKCSs, in which the study absolutely and unequivocally reported that following the MVD breeding protocol would greatly reduce, if not eliminate, early-onset MVD in the breed in three generations. And then, imagine that:

The AKC's Board agreed to a proposed agreement, pending acceptance of the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club's Board, which would bring the matter to a vote by the ACKCSC membership in June 2011. The AKC Board would consider this vote, along with other factors in reaching its final decision.

Now, just imagine what the result we may expect from the ACKCSC...

I read the Breed Record Supplement..... Club Members mating 14 month bitches, back to back matings becoming commonplace in some breeding programmes, so that one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months..............Now isn't that the sort of thing that puppy farmers are suppose to do, not responsible club breeders that had signed to say they would accept the Club's rules?

I assume the CKCS Club wil do absolutely nothing about this terrible abuse of a young dog?

Margaret what you've written makes me so cross!! What are people thinking?
I have a friend, lost two older Cavaliers and has a puppy...Six months old and having her first season. Yesterday says to me I would like a litter next year!!! I said but she will only be 18 months old max! She didn't have a clue, I said if I even consider a litter I would want Cass to be two and a half plus and health checked first. When I mentioned heart and eye checks she went quiet...not a clue!!! She's a lovely lady but clueless!!! People who don't look into breeding fully are really not helping with the problems!!!

A friend I have on Facebook that I knew at school has just homed her puppies, through a free ad paper :( I don't think any specific checks had been done on the dogs either!!

I have only ever had Barney and Cassie but there is no reason that anyone can't dig
on the net and gain knowledge, I think a lot of people would rather not know...
I am so grateful for forums like this and people caring passionately about the breed
I can't tell you.
When I was looking for a new pup a lady I know at the childrens school who very sadly lost a Cav that was put to sleep because of Sm and has another sufferer said she wouldn't get another and recommended the same for me...I thought, no I love the breed and spent a lot of time looking for a breeder and pup I was happy with. This lady has since bought a British Bull Dog puppy along with all the issues they carry!! It has already had an eye operation!!

I am going to stop writing now!! I just get so angry and upset!! Sorry to go on!!

I assume the CKCS Club wil do absolutely nothing about this terrible abuse of a young dog?

I am not sure this ("one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months") would be abuse. In the CKCSC,USA, it still is okay to "Allow a [1+ year old] bitch to whelp ... two litters during any three consecutive seasons."

And then there is one of the latest Champions, with puppies born when he is only 14 months, not just a proving litter, more litters have been born and more on the way.
Owner is a regional club health representative.

What a moron. These people are so empty of any ethical sense or responsibility towards cavalier breeding, aren't they? What a perfect example to bring to the new Dog Advisory Committee and to people's own MPs to ask for real change in dog breeding.

I am not sure this ("one poor little girl had two litters by the time she was 22 months") would be abuse. In the CKCSC,USA, it still is okay to "Allow a [1+ year old] bitch to whelp ... two litters during any three consecutive seasons."

In the UK Cavalier Club Code.........

PART D: - BITCHES TO BE USED FOR BREEDING.

4. No bitch should normally rear a litter on consecutive seasons, and in any case, must have no more than one litter in any 12 month period.

What a moron. These people are so empty of any ethical sense or responsibility towards cavalier breeding, aren't they? What a perfect example to bring to the new Dog Advisory Committee and to people's own MPs to ask for real change in dog breeding.

I have written to the Cavalier Club and the regional breed club. I do believe it is up to the clubs to make it clear they expect certain standards from their members.

I'm awaiting their replies.

When I was looking for a new pup a lady I know at the childrens school who very sadly lost a Cav that was put to sleep because of Sm and has another sufferer said she wouldn't get another and recommended the same for me...I thought, no I love the breed and spent a lot of time looking for a breeder and pup I was happy with. This lady has since bought a British Bull Dog puppy along with all the issues they carry!! It has already had an eye operation!!

I am going to stop writing now!! I just get so angry and upset!! Sorry to go on!!

Hello Teresa,

Go on all you like, someone has got to care, and it is the pet owner that will be left coping with the sick dogs.

We need to get angry & upset, and then channel that emotion into making things change.

We owe it to the gentle little dogs that suffer because of a few selfish money grabbing people.

My list of prospective CKCS breeders in the USA, from whom I'd want a dog, is down to mighty slim.

I really agree with that statement. I have been searching around for a breeder who health tests whom I might consider purchasing another puppy from. Sadly most breeders I find seem to be ignoring the health issues and make the informed puppy buyer feel like they are mislead about health issues in the breed. The few that do health test seem to only be interested in MVD, hips, knees and eyes. I'm GLAD there are some breeders out there who care enough to do these tests but if they are obviously educated about MVD I don't understand how they can ignore SM.

I was so shocked when I recently contacted someone from the Cavalier Rescue of the USA. She had been so helpful in recommending I take Flash to Texas A & M and was very knowledgeable about the breed. I inquired if she could point me in the right direction of anyone anywhere in the USA who does MRI testing on there breeding stock. This is the response I got : "MRI exams are not required of breeders so I doubt you will find any breeders in the US or elsewhere who do an MRI on their breed stock." :bang:

Back