• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding Puppy 2,3, or 4 times a day?

MomObvious

Ok so Fletcher is now 14 weeks today. When I picked him up 2 weeks ago tomorrow they were feeding Wellness Puppy Mix 3 times a day but they were feeding as a litter not per puppy (3 in total) so they were unable to tell me exactly how much. For the first week he was home I carefully measured out his food to see how much he was eating on his own (I started with 1/4 cup sorry no converstion- and then gave him more measurig each time until I found the amount when he stopped eating) I know I'm crazy, but every dog is different. Well turns out he'll eat a HEAPING scope of 1/3 cup kibble 3 times a day. Well for the last 2 day he has turned his nose up at his mid-day feeding. I leave the food down in his area for about 15-20 mins then pick it up. Two days in a row I've picked up a full bowl. Is this about the age for feeding 2 times a day????? How long should I just keep offering it? He does not get any treats as of now. If oh my what a good dog works why do the whole treat reward thing??? He has had a baby carrot and I few bites of an apple just to see if he liked it. Again first puppy here HELP!!

Melissa

All puppies are different in how much food they need [or will eat!] and how often, the usual guide is 4 meals a day up to 12 weeks of age, 3 meals to 6 months and then 2 meals [most adults do well on two meals or sometimes one large meal and one "snack"] However sometimes they let you know that they no longer want 3 meals by leaving one!

I think you are in the US? Has your weather changed? If it turns hot many dogs won't eat during the day. If he is having a lot morning and evening he might not need a 3rd meal.

Don't by guided by the amounts on the packaging - be guided by your dog's weight and appearance. Thin is MUCH better than overweight, you should be aiming for this

original.jpg

or a bit bigger, but definitely NOT this

original.jpg

[photos copyright Laura Lang, used with permission]

Puppies go through phases where they grow very fast so suddenly appear quite skinny, at other times growth slows down.

BTW the breeder SHOULD have been feeding the puppies individually so they knew how much each was eating - it is just pure laziness to only put down one bowl.

You are doing exactly the right thing picking up the bowl after about 15 mins, Cavalier are brilliant at training us to offer them different, more interesting food :)

You are correct too about rewards, voice, touch and play can be just as motivating. Fruit and veg do make good treats, obviously not to excess though as fruit in particular is very high in sugar.

I am not very good at advice because Sonny is also my first puppy, but I can tell you about my experience. :)

I was very inexperienced when we first got Sonny so I followed my breeders instructions... We fed him 2 x a day from the beginning.... oops I realize now this might not have been best, but he actually has never had a problem with eating so I guess it turned out all right.

I believe we fed 3/4 cup of kibble (We use Natural Balance) a day in the beginning and then later increased it to a cup a day, so a 1/2 scoop in morning and 1/2 scoop in evening and then later we increased it to a 1 1/2 cup a day (But that was TOO MUCH)

So anyways, I guess the point of my rambling story was Sonny has eaten twice a day from the beginning (we got him at 9 weeks) and we have never had a problem. Sonny is a vacuum of his food, so I often use a treat dispenser to feed him so that he has to burn a little energy to eat and it slows down his intake of the food.

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/toys/busybuddy/magicmushroomtoys/description

As far as the treats for rewards, I'm not sure of the answer, that is a good question! I'm curious to hear other's opinions. Maybe you will be able to use praise for the simple commands and save treats for the really important commands like recall.... I know during puppy preschool one of the first things we did was the trainer made us make a hierarchy of rewards, so low value for us was a little snuggle, or a "good boy", medium value were various store bought treats, or a chew, and HIGH value was cheese, pieces of pork, a lick of peanut butter, ect.... Our trainer had us do this because she said that we should save the high value for the really important commands like RECALL .

It sounds like Fletcher is doing really well! I look forward to seeing more adorable pics of him! :)

Ashleigh

BTW the breeder SHOULD have been feeding the puppies individually so they knew how much each was eating - it is just pure laziness to only put down one bowl.

You are doing exactly the right thing picking up the bowl after about 15 mins, Cavalier are brilliant at training us to offer them different, more interesting food :)

You are correct too about rewards, voice, touch and play can be just as motivating. Fruit and veg do make good treats, obviously not to excess though as fruit in particular is very high in sugar.

Nicki, my puppy came from a shelter (they took in a half dead pregnant cavalier left in the middle of the night) so I can't and won't complain about any advice I was given. I'm just lucky to have him! I do know I would must rather have a thinner cavalier than one of the chunckier side so I'm watching his weight carefully. Some days he seem pretty thin to me but my brother-in-law is a vet and he says no he's great so. I guess I will keep offering lunch a few more days. However if he doesn't eat I will offer a bit more at his evening meal. Kinda hard to work out but.... I just wanted to make sure it was alright and I was on the right track. Thanks

Melissa

Last edited:
A cup of food in total is about right for a puppy. If he is no longer eating lunch -- I'd just stop giving it -- he is at the age when they often decide it doesn't interest them any more. Jaspar stopped having a third meal around that age. You can try topping up the morning/evening meals a bit but if he isn't eating it he probably only wants and needs the 1/3rd a cup twice a day plus whatever extras he gets during the day. Puppies are pretty good at self regulating -- it is later on they tend to eat anything in any amount!

We just stopped free feeding, Henry is getting 1/2 c in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. He gets a few very small treats during the day, and whatever fresh veggie I'm cooking for dinner as a treat.

The first few days he was very stubborn on eating when his food was put down (those days were very limited on treats) now he eats when he is given his bowl.

Back