• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teeny tiny vent

luvzcavs

Took one of the boys for a general check up today at the vets. Got his anal glands done whilst there and the vet got a reasonable amount out as its a while since they where done.

BUT what a drama drama queen the nurses were over the smell. Yes it stinks and yes it is not pleasant but we all know it smells there is surely no need to get so excitable over it ?? Felt a fraction confused over the fuss as it certainly does not help the smell disperse? humans :lpy: don't know a good bit of ick when they smell it cavtiny

Anyway all is good on the health front for the boys they do have their own various health problems but at this stage they are well managed. :)

do you have to get anal glands emptied often? why do you have to do that? i thought they liked dragged their butts on the ground and did it themselves. can you tell im stupid when it comes to this stuff? lol

hopefully the vet told them to straighten up their act or he was gonna fire them lol

I'm glad that my boy is not the only one who has to have his anal glands emptied every now and again. He is 7 1/2 years old now and has only had to have this done in the last 18 months.

Yes it does smell but that's strange that the vet nurse made such a fuss. After all it's not nice for the dog - quite painful really.

I must be one of the few who don't find the gland smell unpleasant. Much much worse was Izzy's and now, sometimes Teddy's anal wind. I think it may be something to do with medications as Izzy was on several hear meds and Teddy is on Atopica for his itching. ( I think we have success, as though he still scratches, the acytis nowhere near as frequent or intense and he no longer licks himself into sore skin and we are down to alternate day doses.)

I have a stupid question about anal glands. In another thread I have posted some of my experiences with Daisy's anal gland expressing, so I won't repeat all that.

Here's the question, and it is kind of gross, I warn you. When they squeeze those places on their hips, does the liquid squirt out of their rectum, or directly out of holes over the glands? I know the liquid is supposed to be for lubricating for bowel movements, so if the liquid didn't come out of their anus/rectum, then how would those glands actually lubricate? But I guess another function is for communicating with other dogs, so maybe there are also holes for that purpose? And if so, where does the liquid exit if you squeeze it out?

I went online and watched a video of a groomer doing it, but I still wasn't sure exactly where it went when she pushed it up and out of the gland.

And yes, I agree with others that for a vet tech to get that excited over the smell seems a little too precious. Shouldn't she be exposed to it every day and be used to it?

Maybe this will help!!!:)

"Anal glands are scent glands located around a dog’s anus, which produce a strong-smelling, oily secretion. Anal sacs are located between the internal and external anal sphincters (sphincters are the muscles that allow the dog to keep stool in the rectum until it is time to pass) and store this secretion for territory marking. The anal sacs empty through 2 openings located on either side of the dog’s anus. When the anus is stretched as stool is passed, the sphincter muscles squeeze the anal sacs and force the contents onto the surface of the stool"

I think they empty just inside the rectum. I'm not entirely sure though cos humans don't have them (or at least they didn't mention it at medical school if they do!!!):razz:

Took one of the boys for a general check up today at the vets. Got his anal glands done whilst there and the vet got a reasonable amount out as its a while since they where done.

BUT what a drama drama queen the nurses were over the smell. Yes it stinks and yes it is not pleasant but we all know it smells there is surely no need to get so excitable over it ?? Felt a fraction confused over the fuss as it certainly does not help the smell disperse? humans :lpy: don't know a good bit of ick when they smell it cavtiny

Anyway all is good on the health front for the boys they do have their own various health problems but at this stage they are well managed. :)

LOL At least they knew it was coming , my papillons empty themselves withought warning, usually on my lap.

Back