• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Its about that time..fireworks!

gamefanz

So Toby will be 10 weeks in 2 days. I am noticing he gets scared with banging noises. Our neighbor was hammering last night and Toby did not like the banging and every time we would get him outside he would run back in. So I am sure that when the 4th of July comes (around here it happens a few days before and after too) he will be scared to death.
Our Pekingese started out ok with fireworks but grew too sensitive to handle it. He would shake for what seemed like HRS and HRS. He would hide under the bed and try to get into things like the luggage and such. We finally had to put him on Valium pills during this time. It was the only way to calm him down.
I am worried that Toby will end up this same way if we cannot get him used to the noise. Not to mention we live not far from an Army base and they have to practice shooting, we hear the noise from time to time.
How do you get your dog used to the fireworks?
Becky

Hi,
I know its hard but when there is a loud band such as a firework you mustn't react. Dont try and comfort him or cuddle him as he'll see this that there is something to worry about. Just carry on as if nothing has happened.
If you totally ignore the sound hopefully you'll find he will eventually do the same.
We used to tutn the telly up abit louder too.

Thank you. I will try that.
Also do you suggest that we stay home in the house or can we go see a fireworks display?
This is sad to say that last year was the first time since my daughter was in 1st grade that we were able to do our own fireworks. She is 21 now. She does not remember ever holding fireworks or setting them off and watching them. I know its shocking:( Our Peke was so scared that we could not go anywhere or do our own fireworks. We spent the whole night trying to calm him down:(
Becky

Hi,
I know its hard but when there is a loud band such as a firework you mustn't react. Dont try and comfort him or cuddle him as he'll see this that there is something to worry about. Just carry on as if nothing has happened.
If you totally ignore the sound hopefully you'll find he will eventually do the same.
We used to tutn the telly up abit louder too.

So Toby will be 10 weeks in 2 days. I am noticing he gets scared with banging noises. Our neighbor was hammering last night and Toby did not like the banging and every time we would get him outside he would run back in. So I am sure that when the 4th of July comes (around here it happens a few days before and after too) he will be scared to death.
Our Pekingese started out ok with fireworks but grew too sensitive to handle it. He would shake for what seemed like HRS and HRS. He would hide under the bed and try to get into things like the luggage and such. We finally had to put him on Valium pills during this time. It was the only way to calm him down.
I am worried that Toby will end up this same way if we cannot get him used to the noise. Not to mention we live not far from an Army base and they have to practice shooting, we hear the noise from time to time.
How do you get your dog used to the fireworks?
Becky

We made it normal, when there are fireworks we go went out with Luka and he is just used to them. We will do the same with Atlas!

LOL I think we posted at the same time. I would love to see fireworks that is not on tv and not muted. Our only issue is he is not fully vaccinated yet:(
Becky

We made it normal, when there are fireworks we go went out with Luka and he is just used to them. We will do the same with Atlas!

WOW I've never seen anything like that! Gosh I wish we would've had that for our Peke. He had such a rough time. I'll bookmark that and see how it goes this year.
Thank you!
Becky

I got Nina when she was 7, and already she was petrified of thunder and fireworks. I don't think that she will ever learn to love either one. but I got her a Thunder Shirt almost a year ago....sadly after the 4th of July last year....It is unbeliveable the big differance it makes when she is wearing it. She can now lay in her bed peacefully with the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=4230168999&ref=pd_sl_73yvqnn5xb_e

I would think twice about taking your dog to an actual firework display unless you are sure he is going to be totally OK with them - and that you don't know yet. It's not only the noise but the smell that upsets dogs. I would be with him at home for this first year - not making a fuss of him but reassuring him by your indifference that there's nothing to worry about. My Oliver is fine, and Aled takes his lead from his big brother, but a lot of people find DAP diffusers and collars helpful. The first year I had Oliver I wasn't sure how he would react (he was bred in rural Yorkshire), so every time there was a really big bang outside I got all excited 'Wow! That was a big one - I think that one deserves a treat!' and called him over for a treat. After a few times, he was running to me of his own accord, not at all worried and clearly saying 'I'm sure that one was worth a treat!' He now regards our Guy Fawkes Night as a great night when the treats flow freely!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Such interesting products you all are suggesting. I've never seen any of these!
You have a great idea with the treats. I must try that!
We agreed last night that we will stay home this year to see how it goes. We have new neighbors around us and I'm unsure if they will set off fireworks. That was our biggest problem with our Peke. It wasn't the big displays that lasted 30 min., it was the fireworks set off in our neighborhood that was the worst. They set them off at all hrs for a few days.
Thank you for the ideas.
Becky

DAP products reproduce the pheremones produced by mother dogs, so dogs find them very reassuring and calming. A diffuser is simply plugged into the home electricity supply; it's recommended that you have it on for a few days before the fireworks start. The important thing with the treat idea is to react immediately after a bang, so that the noise actually becomes the trigger for the treat.

Hope you all enjoy your Independence Day!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

UPDATE:
Well last night (July 3) was the first test with the fireworks. Our next door neighbors had company over who LOVE fireworks. They brought a huge box of them. Our houses are very close together (cheap subdivision). We had talked with our neighbors the day before and we told them that we are not sure how Toby will react to them but we are pretty much quiet people. She said she wanted the company to take the fireworks to the edge of the subdivision to set them off but unsure if they will. Well they didn't!
Toby at first did not notice because we had the tv on but he had to go outside for potty time. When we took him out he got scared at first as they were shooting them off. He then calmed down and soon did not show fear inside or outside the house. I hope that continues through tonight as I am sure they will have a huge stack to set off.
We were not pleased with them though because as we were laying in bed I heard a pounding on the roof at the same time they were firing off the fireworks. I think one of the firework canisters came down on our roof. Thats how close we are to them. I was scared that it would catch our house on fire but it didn't. My husband will be going up there sometime this week to see if he can find it. After that happened we didn't hear them for awhile then we heard the fireworks go off again but this time at the edge of the subdivision so lets hope they learned their lesson.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful 4th of July!
We went to the zoo this morning as our outing today. I haven't been in many many years!
Becky

I got Nina when she was 7, and already she was petrified of thunder and fireworks. I don't think that she will ever learn to love either one. but I got her a Thunder Shirt almost a year ago....sadly after the 4th of July last year....It is unbeliveable the big differance it makes when she is wearing it. She can now lay in her bed peacefully with the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=4230168999&ref=pd_sl_73yvqnn5xb_e

I saw these and suggested it as a possible alternative to my aunt-in-law for her silky haired terrier rescue. He had to be medicated during thunderstorms for fear he would have a heart attack. She bought one and was amazed at how well it worked (and no, I don't work for the company, lol). It's so nice to have something like this that works!

We ended up taking Rose with us to go see the city fireworks show. It was definitely louder in our neighborhood than downtown! :rolleyes: I have to say, Rose is the first dog I've been around who really looked to see how we reacted to something she was concerned about or thought was scary, so even if I thought it was scary or startling too (the coyotes at the back fence was an exception- we both ran like mad back to the house, lol) I tried really hard to not react or reassure her, and she immediately went on about whatever she was doing before. I guess I was just amazed at how much she was taking her cues from me and my reaction. Could just be first puppy syndrome on my part, too, lol.

I'm so glad that Rose liked the fireworks. We noticed that Toby is only alert on the first set of fireworks then he settles down and keeps playing with his toys. Since this is the case we plan to take him to the fireworks next year. Our neighbors set off fireworks until midnight then again at 4:15am this morning..UGH! talk about little sleep. They did good though by going to the edge of the neighborhood so we were thankful.
I cannot wait until next year so we can actually go see a display for the first time in MANY years! If we can keep Toby playing and not paying attention we should be fine.
Becky

I saw these and suggested it as a possible alternative to my aunt-in-law for her silky haired terrier rescue. He had to be medicated during thunderstorms for fear he would have a heart attack. She bought one and was amazed at how well it worked (and no, I don't work for the company, lol). It's so nice to have something like this that works!

We ended up taking Rose with us to go see the city fireworks show. It was definitely louder in our neighborhood than downtown! :rolleyes: I have to say, Rose is the first dog I've been around who really looked to see how we reacted to something she was concerned about or thought was scary, so even if I thought it was scary or startling too (the coyotes at the back fence was an exception- we both ran like mad back to the house, lol) I tried really hard to not react or reassure her, and she immediately went on about whatever she was doing before. I guess I was just amazed at how much she was taking her cues from me and my reaction. Could just be first puppy syndrome on my part, too, lol.

Back