• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad grooming job done on my girls

Virginia

Our two cavaliers were groomed the other day and the results were disastrous. Their silky feathery hair now looks like its been cut with pinking shears. I have heard that if you cut their hair it will never grown back like it was before. IS THIS TRUE? Oh I hope not! We are distraught! :(

Va

Our two cavaliers were groomed the other day and the results were disastrous. Their silky feathery hair now looks like its been cut with pinking shears. I have heard that if you cut their hair it will never grown back like it was before. IS THIS TRUE? Oh I hope not! We are distraught! :(

Va

Not to worry -- it will grow back. I think most people have 1 bad grooming experience, learn from it (after crying a bit), and move on.

Best advice I can give is to bring a picture of what you want, tell the groomer firmly -- don't touch the ears, tail, feet (whatever you want) and write it down so there is no confusion.

It happened to me with my beautiful Japanese Chin, who had lovely ears. I told her not to touch the ears, but when I picked her up, the ears were chopped, and she looked like a boy. I was so upset. They did grow back!

Hang in there. Your beautiful cavs will be beautiful once more!

Joan

Don't worry....Leo was groomed a few years ago and ended up with what can only be described as a "Buzz cut" I can laugh about now...not then.....

His fur grew back fine :)

Unfortunately, Groomers who are wonderful to your dog and gifted with scissors/clippers are hard to come by. Did you complain and get a refund? Most places will give refunds if your dog isnt groomed correctly. I know Petco is better about it than Petsmart is usually. I had a Grooming Salon for 8 years, and was grooming Manager at Petsmart and Petco prior to that. I am so sorry this happened. =( I recommend contacting your local Cavalier Specialty club and asking if any of the show people would be willing to groom your Cavalier for you, or teach you how. This is a wonderful way to have your Cav groomed correctly. I showed for over a decade, and you learn tricks basic groomers would never learn. I wish you only the best the next time!

Back