• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Understanding cimetidine vs. omeprazole

BrooklynMom

Can someone help? Or point me somewhere in understanding the differences? Safety in long term use? What is commonly prescribed for SM dogs? Side effects of either?

Thank you!!!

Can someone help? Or point me somewhere in understanding the differences? Safety in long term use? What is commonly prescribed for SM dogs? Side effects of either?

Thank you!!!

Omeprazole (Prilosec, Losec, Omesec, Zegerid) is a proton pump inhibitor which reduces the production of cerebrospinal fluid.

Cimetidine (Tagamet, Zitac) is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist -- an antihistamine. Histamine contributes to inflammation and causes smooth muscles to constrict. Cimetidine is diffused into the cerebrospinal fluid and reportedly may contribute to reducing the flow of CSF. When taken with gabapentin, cimetidine also reportedly may increase the amount of gabapentin in the blood by decreasing its elimination. Therefore, when taken together, the dosages may require adjustment.

This information is from http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#--_drugs

Thanks so much Rod.

From experience, has anyone found one or the other more effective? More common? More side effects?

Do they sort of do the same job?

Thank you!!!!

I asked the vet the same thing but wasn't really listened to. one of our dogs has very bad CM so I wondered whether a slight widening from the relaxed muscles would actually make any difference in such a severely affected dog. she's still going to be very pinched at the base of her skull. maybe omperezol would have worked better?

Back