• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal gland good news!!

meljoy

We have had major problems in the past with Leo's anal glands. He's had two abcessess and infections. We've tried pro-fibre and all sorts of diet.
Last year Nicki from the forum recomended adding plain old oatbran. Ive been adding 2 teaspoons daily to his food.
Leo had his annual vet check today and for the first time EVER, one anal gland was completly empty and the other only 1/4 full.

So THANK YOU Nicki for the advice, anyone else thats having problems give the oatbran a try it works really well.

:*nana:

We've been adding it too, after it was suggested, and have gone from taking Rose once a month to get them done, to at the most 3 or 4 times last year. :D

Hi Mel

As you may have read all my four have just been to the VETs for a check and while there had their glands done and I have
been giving them two teaspoons of oatbran for the last four years for breakfast ,plus I feen raw and give neem sticks so just keep an
eye on them in the future as they may just need doing again sometime but hopefully not as as often.

Wonderful!!!!
So do you do one teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening?

Just wonderful to hear!!

I give 2 teaspoons with his evening meal. I mix it with a little water otherwise it flies everywhere with most of it being deposited in his ears :biggrin:

Fantastic news Mel - but I can't take credit for this one, it was actually Tania who came up with it originally :) Think I was using wheatbran and she researched and found the oatbran.

It seems to work really well for some dogs but not all so great to hear that it helping Leo.

Fantastic news Mel - but I can't take credit for this one, it was actually Tania who came up with it originally :) Think I was using wheatbran and she researched and found the oatbran.

It seems to work really well for some dogs but not all so great to hear that it helping Leo.
Ooops sorry Tania, Thank you then.

The link below is the brand we use. I used to have terrible problems with Molly, Dougall and Dotty. Every four weeks or so we had full and sometimes compacted glands.

I now have them checked every 8 weeks (gradually decreased the visits) or so and it is not 100% perfect everytime but I would estimate there is an 80% improvement for all three.

We started with 2 teaspoons twice per day (that is how we feed them) We have now cut that to one teaspoon twice per day..

If it helps, I am more than happy to send a packet to anyone (foc) to try.

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg

The link below is the brand we use. I used to have terrible problems with Molly, Dougall and Dotty. Every four weeks or so we had full and sometimes compacted glands.

I now have them checked every 8 weeks (gradually decreased the visits) or so and it is not 100% perfect everytime but I would estimate there is an 80% improvement for all three.

We started with 2 teaspoons twice per day (that is how we feed them) We have now cut that to one teaspoon twice per day..

If it helps, I am more than happy to send a packet to anyone (foc) to try.

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/mornflake-oatbran-500g.html?gclid=CN3y-J-Vta4CFQIKfAodGzFCrg

" Mornflake " I get it in our local healthfood shop. I use it for my doggy biscuits.

hi
today i went to tesco and my oatbran cost me £1.99p and it was next to the porridge in( gilesgate co durham)

Hello, I'm new - having picked up my little girl - Blenheim cav (Maisie) on Sunday :D

She was scooting so went to the vets on Monday & her anal glands full. Yesterday, back at the vet as still scooting & licking & she was an infection.

Now on antibiotics :-(

I've got oat bran & will be adding immediately, as vet suggested just bran, but I felt that was a bit harsh.

Bit of a thread hijack, but I'm looking for some pointers on good food for her ?

Thanks !

Hi,
My Leo has had anal glands probems for long time, he's 5 and ahalf now. The oatbran works well for him. I also give him chopped up veg with his evening meal. Green beans and brocholi are good.
His dry food is called "Healthly Paws". Lots of people recommend Burns food.
Good luck, hope Maisie feels better soon.

Back