• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back to the vet again (a bit yuck)

pippa

I feel my three are taking turns at the vets these days!

DJ was scooting earlier this evening (7.30) and then trying to 'dart way' from his rear end. He has been fine all day and playing, eating etc as normal.

I decided to take a look and he has an anal gland abscess :eek:

How come they never complain until it's too late!? I called the vet and got an appointment for tomorrow morning and have bathed it and given him a painkiller to make him comfortable. It seems to have burst but is only a tiny hole and is pink, not red. I feel so bad for missing it and guilty that it burst before I even knew he had it!

This happened the same way with Pippin twice before and I now give them all bran every morning with their breakfast, which works wonders for Pippin and Gus but must not have for DJ. We have him four years now and this is the first time he's had problems with his glands. He is due for annual check up next month and would have had them checked then as routine. Thankfully he hasn't needed to go there since last years check up. Maybe Gus told him that they have redecorated and there is now free biscuits at the counter after consult:)

Seriously though I hate when they are not well, but know it can be fixed and could be worse but still feel bad:(

Hi

It is awful and it does get to you though I am sure he will fine with your care ,Last month I think we went 9 times within 2 weeks the receptionist
even knew how much milk to put on my cornflakes in the morning .

Don't beat yourself up - it's rare for people to notice these before they burst, your vet will probably tell you that.

Sorry to hear about it though, some of them seem to have problems whatever you feed, I know a lot of people have success with oatbran, also with raw feeding - I know Tania's are heaps better since being on HOney's raw food http://honeysrealdogfood.com/index.php mine are better on it too, still just Kayleigh really. My vet and I were discussing it and he agreed that sometimes the whole it just a bit small or the vessel it travels through is bent too far back on itself, so they are always going to have problems.

With Cavaliers, it's something to always be aware of and to check regularly yourself - your vet can teach you how and even teach you to empty them yourself - if you are feeling brave, it's a bit stinky!

They don't all scoot when the glands are blocked, some chew at their hind legs, or even along the side of the penis! Yes you are right about the whipping around too. These can also all be symptoms of CM/SM which is why the first thing we recommend if you are concerned is to have the anal glands checked.

Hope everyone keeps well for a bit! We used to joke that I had my own parking space at the vets :(

Don't beat yourself up - it's rare for people to notice these before they burst, your vet will probably tell you that.

They don't all scoot when the glands are blocked, some chew at their hind legs, or even along the side of the penis!

Hope everyone keeps well for a bit! We used to joke that I had my own parking space at the vets :(

Thanks Nicki :) and Brian love the comment about the cornflakes:)

DJ was biting near his penis last Friday evening and I was checking it all weekend for bites etc. but found nothing then he stopped biting,never thought that could be a symptom of anal glands:( Will remember that now! Thing is I check the glands every month and they've been fine all along will keep a closer eye from now on.

Oh I've been there......read the book and brought the T-SHIRT!!
Leo had an abcess once and the first I knew was when it ruptured all over the sofa:yikes
I felt awful....Im usually so diligent and I couldnt believe i'd missed it. Comfort yourself in the fact that you acted on it as soon as you were aware.
Hope DJ feels better soon

Well we went to the vets, my usual vet was off but we seen the other lovely girl (they are all so nice there) she assured me that these gland abscesses can go from nothing to huge overnight so not to feel bad about missing it.
DJ was so good. She emptied the other gland, cleaned up the abscess and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection. We came home with 7 days supply of antibiotics, painkillers (to start tomorrow), and Burns High oats food which I had asked about and she recommended we try, to try firming up his stools which are always or mostly skinny and softish. He has been that way since we took him and she questioned whether he ever had a pelvic injury - as it can cause bowl changes -we of course couldn't answer for his first four years...

He is in good form and doesn't seem to be in pain, he was this morning as I found him hiding under the kitchen table, which he always does if he is in any discomfort, don't know why he didn't do it yesterday? We have to keep an eye on the abcess to check it doesn't get bigger, keep it as clean as possible and back to the vet in a week.

MEL--hope your sofa survived! Ours are covered in old throws and towels at the moment as I can't deprive him of his sit down with me in the evening:)

Hi

I am sure DJ is on the mend and will be 110% back to normal with the added bonus of firm poops ,and lets all hope
that the last trip to he Vets for you all for a long time .

Best Wishes To You All

Bri

Hi

I have three Cavaliers, all three had to have their anal glands emptied every three to four weeks despite using expensive bran the vet prescribed.

We feed Honey's (ex darlings) raw food. It is 60 per cent meat, 30 veg and 10 bone. They have been on this diet for a long time, we then added two teaspoons of oat bran each day. I am very happy with the food and know for sure it is all totally natural and is free range and organic. We added two teaspoons of oat ran from the health food shop. The improvement is 80 percent better. Dougalls glands don't have to emptied, Molly every 10 weeks and Dotty every 6 weeks.
When they are emptied, they are not compacted or completely full. The difference has been amazing. It is important the bran is totally natural and does not have any sugar in it. Breakfast cereal has a rule is not very good.

Thanks Tania, looked in the health food shop today for oat bran but they were out so will try another branch tomorrow. The vet did say they may need to see him every month to six weeks to have his glands emptied, he is back in a week to get the glands emptied again as they were too sore today to do it fully and then she said she will see him a month from then anyway. Pippin had terrible gland problems but giving the all bran, only a teaspoon with the JWB at breakfast for the last two years has meant he only needs to have them done annually at check ups and they are never very full. I will probably try the oat bran for them all though:)

Hi Pippa sorry to read about DJ's problems and hope he will be feeling better soon. You can get oat bran in Tesco -probably cheaper than the health food store too :)

:updte: Went to the vet with DJ for the check up after the abscess. He was due back tomorrow but I rang yesterday and brought it forward as he was still not healing up as well as expected. There was a locum vet in today in place of the girl who seen him last week,he was also very good. He emptied the rest of the gland and prescribed another week of the same antibiotic but twice the dose as it is working just not as quickly as they would like.

My usual vet was in surgery, but half way through the consult she popped in to see DJ as she had heard we were coming in and wanted to see him and ask about Gus and Pippin, so nice of her but proof we are there too much lately...(heard we were coming in:))

Dj does not have to go back if the abscess continues to clear up if not then back again next week(hopefully not), but is back for annual check-up next month anyway so will have his glands checked then again.

Hi

My heart jumped when I spotted your post I so hope thats the end of visits for you all you have had more than
your share .

Best Wishes To You All

Brian

Hi

I have three Cavaliers, all three had to have their anal glands emptied every three to four weeks despite using expensive bran the vet prescribed.

We feed Honey's (ex darlings) raw food. It is 60 per cent meat, 30 veg and 10 bone. They have been on this diet for a long time, we then added two teaspoons of oat bran each day. I am very happy with the food and know for sure it is all totally natural and is free range and organic. We added two teaspoons of oat ran from the health food shop. The improvement is 80 percent better. Dougalls glands don't have to emptied, Molly every 10 weeks and Dotty every 6 weeks.
When they are emptied, they are not compacted or completely full. The difference has been amazing. It is important the bran is totally natural and does not have any sugar in it. Breakfast cereal has a rule is not very good.

Hi Tania,
Do you mix oat bran with hot water or just add it directly to the food?
thanks
kitty

Hi

My heart jumped when I spotted your post I so hope thats the end of visits for you all you have had more than
your share .

Best Wishes To You All

Brian
Thanks Brian, Gus has to go for monthly injections and both he and DJ are due their annual check with my usual vet in May, then Pippin in July so hopefully that will end it:)

(except for GUS' monthly visits and going to collect monthly meds for Pippin, guess that's what happens when you have three seniors!) and we will have no more unexpected visits...

Sorry to hear that it's taking a while to clear up :( hopefully the extra antibiotics will help.

Yes paws crossed you will keep away form the door for a bit, but your vet sounds lovely :)

Kitty, need to moisten the bran with some water otherwise it goes everywhere...you will still be combing it out of their ears months later!!

Glad things are looking up though taking a little longer than expected. Fingers crossed for no more unexpected visits.

Back