• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Still Progressing Well With Raw

Brian M

Hi

Just an update on my four ,they are all happy with their raw diet and now have very little Natural Instinct ,come to think the last time I ordered was prior to our last holidays so it must have been around 10 th July and I still have quite a bit left .I am trying to ensure they get a good variation of meat and so far have fed them breast of lamb ,chicken wings ,lamb neck bone and sirloin steak but my butcher minced that up for me and boiled white fish .With the lamb breast I try and trim any excess fat off and also chop everything up into manageable crunches for them with rose pruners and then clean everything with anti bacterial wipes and sprays and of course with most meals I add all my bits and bobs they are well used to now like a couple of whitebait each ,goats yogurt ,cottage cheese ,omega 3 oil ,vit tablet ,shredded wheat ,bionic biotic ,sainsburys boil in the bag veg and lately some Irish seaweed and alfalfa oh and some banana ,apple and water melon and an odd strawberry .Have found a supplier on lne for turkey necks ,beef and tripe chunks so they should be here tomorrow and have ordered the bone supplement powder ,so they are all happy and doing well and no sloppy p or anything to complain about and on the plus side for me apart from the girls obvious enjoyment their coat does look better ,its less time to prepare and it seems cheaper but I don't really add it up as I get great enjoyment out of doing it and fussing over them all ,what bliss.:):):):)

Ps and did a weigh in on Sunday

Poppy 10.90 kilo was 11.50 on 01/06/2010
Daisy 7.70 kilo was 8.40 "
Rosie 8.90 kilo was 9.40 "
Lily 7.40 kilo was 7.90 "

And when I started the weigh in on the 28/04/2009 Pops was 14.30 kilo so shes lost an astonishing 3.40 kilo

Good on you Brian! Thats a great weight loss for the girls too!

Ive given up with raw (again!) as Sparky was sick 2 or 3 times & had the runs all in the space of a few weeks (was during the hot weather so Im not sure if that might have had something to do with it?) So mine are back on naturediet & burns kibble.

Well done Brian, thats a great result weight wise, and the fact that they are all looking healthy too is a bonus. I think your dogs are better fed than the humans in my house :D
I can just imagine the four impatient little faces waiting for their dinner every day. I bet they get very excited?

Good on you Brian! Thats a great weight loss for the girls too!

Ive given up with raw (again!) as Sparky was sick 2 or 3 times & had the runs all in the space of a few weeks (was during the hot weather so Im not sure if that might have had something to do with it?) So mine are back on naturediet & burns kibble.

Sonia, the heat can make them poorly. It may also be if you were introducing too many new things too quickly. To start with, just feed something simple like chicken for a week or two - gradually add in other things, also gradually add supplements if you are feeding them.

Dairy products often cause upset tummies. I find raw tripe very effective for sorting out tummies :) I buy the frozen blocks which stack easily in the freezer - lift one out, unwrap it and place it into a tupperware container to defrost. It's then easy to serve from there - not so messy!

We're currently on chicken, rabbit and tripe - at different meals. Cutting up the meat into pieces with the garden pruners - brilliant tip, thanks Tania :D so no choking on bones. Everything is of course frozen for 2 weeks before use, to kill off any bacteria and parasites.

Gradually building up the veggies - aiming for 33% veg, 66% meat and bones. Will be adding in heart, lamb ribs {more of a treat and for teeth cleaning}, and small amounts of liver and kidney {easy to disguise in mince!}. Also beef mince and lamb mince occasionally.

My electric mincer should be here today b*n*n*b*n*n*b*n*n* {Bit of an investment but I can't get frozen food delivered up here so have resorted to making my own :)}

Brian you are doing really well with yours - is the Sainsburys boil in the bag veg just for convenience? I have a hand blender or you can just grate a mixture of veg - it's really providing a variety, but maybe only 3 different veg for a week, then others. Variety over time rather than too many different things at the same time.

Back