• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands

murphy's mum

How often do you's get your Cav's glands emptied, and how old are they? Have your dogs been done from a young age? And has anyone had their dogs glands removed?

The reason I'm asking all this is Murphy is two and a half, and needs his done every 4/5 weeks. He used to only get it done every 6 months or so, but now even after he has them done he scoots straight away. The vet has raised the question of removing them all together.

I'm not too sure. It doesn't bother me to take him in and have to pay for it every 4/5 weeks, but will Murphy be more comfortable if they are gone?

I asked if it would give Murphy any problems holding it in if he needs the toilet, but the vet said no.

I wouldn't subject a dog to a surgery if it can be avoided at all.I recently had a problem with Daisy and she got impacted/infected glands which needed antibiotic treatment and thankfully she was fine.Some cavaliers seem to have trouble with them but the vet has offered to show us how to express them so we can do it ourselves every few weeks. It makes more sense than paying to have it done or opting for surgery where there may be side effects as a result.
Sins

I asked if it would give Murphy any problems holding it in if he needs the toilet, but the vet said no.

I'd double check that--my vet said bowel incontinence IS a risk of surgery. Even if it's a slim chance, I'd only go that route as a last resort. I have two dogs with anal issues, and it's not unusual for them to scoot for a couple of days after being expressed. If I can keep their poops firm it seems to help and prevents having to have it done as often. I really should learn to do it myself:eek:

Our youngest has to have his gland emptied and had to have them done at a very young age (in fact it really suprised the vets that he needed doing so young) anyway, our boy finds it uncomfortable to have them done and also due to this is also very stressed when we have to take him to the vets (as this is obviously what he sees a trip to the vets meaning) and so if in time they suggested surgery then I would weigh up the pros and cons but if he was having to be emptied every 4 - 5 weeks I would seriously consider surgery if this would put an end to the discomfort for him. I really feel for you I know how awful the trips are and I only have to go every 2-3 months.

Perhaps if you google it you will come up with some good reading on the subject?
My eldest has never been done and touch wood he never needs to be!

His were a little inflamed today as well, he got an anti-biotic and an anti-inflamatry to help him along.

I'm just not keen on putting him through surgery. I'm sure there a a lot of nerve endings around that area too, so the comment about no after effect sounds iffy. It wasn't my usual vet, he was an Austrailian guy, I'll maybe speak to my usual vet about it.

Murphy get RC Mini to eat, but the vet also suggested adding in a little Bran to his food, but I'd need to look into that.

Poor Murphy, I can see what you mean about nerves etc. Surgery should always be a last resort and its only a decision you can make. Speak to your normal vet and see what he/she says. Sending Murphy a big hug (and you, I know how stressful it is when our babies are poorly!;))

We only ever had the lovely pleasure :) of this once with a Cavalier rescue, our little Annie-Belle, otherwise we havn't had a problem with anal glands with any other Cavaliers that we have owned.

The only bottom scooting/dis-comfort that we saw in that area was related to SM, and the anal glands were always empty when checked.

Alison.

i might be repeating someone else here, i tried giving peaches bran and it looked like it was going straight through her with no effect.

someone on here suggested feeding chappie canned food, its worked brilliantly. her stools are much firmer and touch wood we been ok so far.

i feed her part chappie and part james well beloved and she is in fantastic shape.

I had Brady groomed yesterday and the veterinary nurse said his were full and she had cleaned them. He is a 11 months and this is the first time he has it done and to be honest I never knew this had to be done.

She just told me to keep an eye out for him bum shuffling.

Is it a necessary procedure every so often?

someone on here suggested feeding Chappie canned food, its worked brilliantly. her stools are much firmer and touch wood we been ok so far.

I wonder if that was me! I use Chappie too and it gave firmer stools than any dry food I used.

Dylan has never had his anal glands emptied. He scoots maybe once a week for a couple of seconds. I don't see this as a problem.

This is a quote from a cavalier care site that Karlin left a link to in one of her posts:

ANAL SACS
Leave them alone; don't let your vet touch them in a puppy less than one year of age--unless they are truly uncomfortable. Nearly ALL anal sac problems are caused by vets expressing them too often starting at a young age. Once they start, they can never stop. Dogs in the wild do not need their anal sacs expressed, why should yours?

There was more on the topic but I only copied a small portion. The whole site is very worth while looking at. Find it at:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualcare.htm

My vet agreed. He said the glands can be stimulated to over produce if they are expressed too often ..thereby causing a perpetual problem that should never have been created in the first place.

Back