• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scooby still battling along - was "Not good news ... We're losing..."

lindylou

so sorry to hear what you are going through i went through the same with my rowley its heartbreaking

Looks like another trip to vets

Well it looks like we are off to the vets again tommorow , scooby was doing good until about 4 hours ago and then he is constantely coughing when he moves around and his breathing is laboured again........ I have increased his water tablets tonight and will call the vet first thing to get him checked out in morning.....

Just when you think we are getting him stable for a little while , the times between this happening are getting shorter and shorter.......

We are going on holiday next weekend and my mum is coming to look after scooby , Iam a stressed out wreck worrying about him , its the first holiday since he has been ill and I dont know what to do.........

Sharon and Scooby

I am so so sorry for you and Scooby. Please don't get upset, you must get him to the vet and see what they can do for him, do you think he is going to be ok until tomorrow?.:hug:

I'm so sorry to hear of this latest episode - sadly with MVD this is what happens :(

If he is not able to move around without coughing that badly then I really think you need to 'phone the vet *** NOW ***

At the very least call your duty vet for advice

I would also arrange it so that you are sleeping near to Scooby.

Please keep us posted, you are in our thoughts - don't even think about your holiday yet.

Just when you think we are getting him stable for a little while , the times between this happening are getting shorter and shorter.......

Sharon and Scooby

I'm sorry Sharon, it is so obvious how you love your little boy and how desperate you are to keep him.

Something like this happened with the second cavalier I owned. Miss Matty had MVD but when she was breathless and uncomfortable or coughing a lot the vet would add another drug or increase the dose and she would be fine for a while.

I sort of came to expect that would happen every time. Eventually it didn't and Matty had a few very uncomfortable days before I accepted that we had reached the end of the road.
I was left feeling I had failed her and even now that shadows my memory of her.

That is why I believe that for their sake it is better a day too soon than a day too late.

I really feel for you and Scooby. I know what you're going through as I'm going through similar problems with Sydney. Do you have an emergency vet you can bring him to? It might be better not to wait intil tomorrow. Sending you only good thoughts and prayers.

Sadly this is the scenario of a dog with MVD- its heartbreaking watching them struggle to breath, coughing so hard
just to get some in in the lungs.
We try so hard to keep them going, and Scooby has had such devotion from you and I am sure you will know
when the time comes to say goodbye.

You are in my thoughts.

Nanette

Thanks all for your comments........

He is settled on his bed for the last couple of hours , his breathing is still a bit laboured but he seems comfortable and hes stopped coughing , I rang the emergency vet and he advised increasing his water tablets for next couple of days . We have rushed him to the emergency vet so many times over the last year that I know when he needs to go and in my view I have got him comfortable for now and I can take him to my own vet first thing in the morning unless something happens overnight.

Iam a realist and I would never keep him going if I thought for one minute I thought he was suffering , when the time is right I will let him go but there have been so many times over the last 12 months when I was ready to make that decision and he fought his way back so I have to wait until he tells me its time.......

Will let you know how he goes , Iam off to get the airbed , another night sleeping in my kitchen......

Sharon and Scooby XX

Sharon your such a good mom. You know scooby better than any of us and I know you'll do what's best for him. Hugs to you and belly rubs for scooby.

Hi,

Well he is still here , he didnt have a bad night I had increased his fursomide and I kept him hydrated and took him out for regular wee's during the night . I spent night on an airbed in kitchen , finally got to sleep at 4am and scooby woke me at 6.30am by licking my nose......

Went to vets he has a bit of fluid on his chest so advised to continue increased fursomide dosage for next 2 days and taking him back on tuesday morning for another checkup , vet said not much they can do as he is on all the medications they give out so we just have to see how he goes. Myself and my husband have finally dicussed what we would do if he deterioates further and its the first time we have discussed the subject even though he not at that stage just yet. HIs breathing is still laboured but he hasnot coughed as much today but I can tell he is not happy as he is wandering around the house more and constantly looking where Iam.

I just hope we can get him stable again , we are living day to day / hour to hour with him as I just dont know whats going to happen.....

Will keep you posted.

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Thinking of Scooby and you, good to hear that he is a little better today and hope he continues to feel better.

This is going to be the last post I make for a while , scooby is very poorly and been to emergency vet tonight , she has confirmed his heart meds arenot working anymore .......

She has given him a water injection to help make him comfortable but it looks like we have reached the end of the road , me and my familt are devestated and now have some decisions to make so I will not be writing again until we have done what we can to help scooby......

I cannot describe the pain I feel right now its overwhelming ............

sharon and scooby

xxxx

I know there is nothing that can be said to take away the pain you all are feeling. I just want to reach through this computer to give you so many hugs :hug: So many thoughts for Scooby and for your family!
Just know that you are doing all you can to help Scooby and he knows this. What ever happens, my heart goes out to all of you:hug:
Becky

Oh Poor you, and poor Scooby. At least you know he will be comfortable and pain free soon. I can still remember how brave my 15 year old daughter was when we had to put our german shepherd to sleep. She just held Risha's head in her lap and put her face really close to Risha's ear and talked so soft and sweetly to her as the meds took effect and she just passed away. It was the most peaceful thing and I know my daughter will never regret being there with her. My heart is with you.

Oh Poor you, and poor Scooby. At least you know he will be comfortable and pain free soon. I can still remember how brave my 15 year old daughter was when we had to put our german shepherd to sleep. She just held Risha's head in her lap and put her face really close to Risha's ear and talked so soft and sweetly to her as the meds took effect and she just passed away. It was the most peaceful thing and I know my daughter will never regret being there with her. My heart is with you.

Oh boy. That just made me tear up like crazy. Im so sorry for you and scooby. Big hugs....

So sad to read this. My little cavalier was just officially diagnosed with dialed cardiomypathy (spelling?). The prognosis is grim, 6 months - a year eventually ending in heart faliure. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is his happiness. You know your cavalier. He'll tell you when the time is right. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Back