• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cailean's MVD

misty

Cailean seems to be taking a step downhill :(.

He's been on Vetmedin and Frusemide since June, and had Corventyl added when he was very poorly in August.

I took him to the vets yesterday, as he is very tired and coughing lots more. Although the vet said all his pulses were good still, she did say this may be the beginning of the final stage. He is now on Fortekor too.

I'm praying it's just another "scare".

Cailean is just 7 years old and his dad, Declan, lived til the 20th May last year, so this is an upsetting time of the year anyway. :(

I'm keeping a very close eye on Cailean. I've noticed he's getting a bit "leaky" too, which isn't like him. He wee's gallons on the Frusemide anyway, but this is like putting his leg up between proper wee's and just doing 2 drops.

I hate the way our precious Cavaliers have so many breed health problems. It makes me angry, but at the moment I'm better focussing my energies on enjoying Cailean.

Positive thoughts would I'm sure help my baby boy.

I am so sorry to hear this 7 years old is still very young he will be in my prayers that they could help him to live for many more years.
possitive thoughts always judy

I'm so sorry Cailean is doing poorly. 7 years old is much too young to be dealing with this. Prayers and warm thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear Cailean is feeling badly. You're so right to focus on enjoying him right now. Sending prayers and hugs from my crew to you and Cailean today. :flwr:

There is hope. I was told that we were coming to the end with Izzy, almost two years before he actually went.

We have had a change in weather, recently, and I always found that this affected Izzy ; fine weather, hot weather, rain; we had a few days or a week of extra coughing, panting and huffy breathing.

There is hope. I was told that we were coming to the end with Izzy, almost two years before he actually went.

We have had a change in weather, recently, and I always found that this affected Izzy ; fine weather, hot weather, rain; we had a few days or a week of extra coughing, panting and huffy breathing.

good point - and the vet did recommend a 'summer haircut'. Grooming appointments are hard to come by, but I've found a groomer who used to be a vet nurse, who has squeezed him in for Friday pm. She understands about Cavs and their hearts, so hopefully it won't be too stressful and will be beneficial.

Thinking of you and Cailean at this time, a huge kiss and a very gentle :hug: to your very special boy. I remember being told one of mine had 72hrs to live, that lasted well over 2 years! Enjoy Cailean for now and try not to worry about the future too much, I will be thinking of you!

Many do have a way of rallying. :flwr: Hope he starts to feel a bit better. I know of a dog who lived several years past his supposed 'final stages' so fingers crossed.

Investing in a portable air conditioning unit would be worth while, for you and the dogs. Homebase/Argos do one at just over £200. Mine went wrong after two years, but when I argued that it should last longer, head office agreed to replace it.

You and Cailean will be in our thoughts. I hope he responds to the additional medication.:hug: :hug:

Last edited:
Investing in a portable air conditioning unit would be worth while, for you and the dogs. Homebase/Argos do one at just over £200. Mine went wrong after two years, but when I argued that it should last longer, head office agreed to replace it.

what a brilliant idea, Barbara. Particularly with the hot summers we've been having of late - will have a word with hubby.

Ours was so good, the year before last (it broke just as last year's stocks ran out) that one day I went out with the dogs and was surprised to realise how hot it was. The only drawback is the noise level (you need to turn the tv volume up), but on cooler days you can get away with the quieter but very powerful fan facility.

Sadly, Cailean's prognosis is not good.

His cough is getting more frequent, and more often than not, he's asleep.

The vet confirms she believes he is NOT in pain. When he's awake, his tail is still wagging, but I think he's fading.

His heart meds are doing exactly what they should do, but I think his heart has enlarged so much now :(

I will not let him suffer, but I don't believe he is suffering at the moment. I'm sure some more positive thoughts will give him a restful day.

Izzy made do, quite happily, with pottering for quite some time, as did the others, because taking them upset Izzy. Now we work on slimming Joly (other two are slim).

The waiting, knowing you have lost, time is the worst, as you want one more day/week but don't want to risk suffering. Thinking of you, Fran.

Back