• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Marking?

meljoy

Hi, Last week we had a new bathroom fitted....its lovely and we're all very pleased, however since its been finished Leo keeps going in there and peeing :-X. (First time in 7 years and now he's peeing in the house!) I assume its because its very different and smells new and "alien" to him. Is he marking his territory to say "This is mine" and if so when will he stop!..................We're keeping the door closed at all times but I wondered if there's anything I could do to stop this new behaviour. Ive given it a severe clean and sprayed febreeze but yesterday he did it again.......any ideas anyone....thanks Mel

That is weird! I assume you have put linens and such in there and have used the new bathroom so it should somewhat "smell" like home. Perhaps Leo really didn't like the workmen in the house. We had a repair man in our house just last week, Fletcher was crated while he was here but after the guy left he went nutty nose to the floor retracing the workman's steps. I would just keep the door closed, seems like the easiest thing to it.

Think you probably have guessed it Meljoy -- the strange new scents? I'd probably keep the door closed to cut the connection he now has with marking the room... :) It will probably then fade away.

Our male pyr puppy has started sometimes marking in the house even though pretty much housetrained so really getting at first hand how the boys can 'forget' either due to hormones or changed environment. :eek:

PS Febreze or even bleach won't mask his marking, for his nose -- use an enzymatic pet cleaner or some vinegar added to a cleaning solution.

PS Febreze or even bleach won't mask his marking, for his nose -- use an enzymatic pet cleaner or some vinegar added to a cleaning solution.
Oh didn't realise that....thank you for the tip will get the vinegar out......I guessed it was a marking thing.....boys eh? Thanks

Back