• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Let sleeping dogs lie??

tupup

Hi there,
Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can get Jelly to wake me when my morning alarm goes?:slp:
Im deaf in one ear (due to illness) & im told im loosing the hearing in my good ear so the problem is that if im asleep on my good ear i dont hear my alarm, both girls are cuddled up to me overnight so they must just ignore the alarm (it can be going over an hour,i say it-i set 4 different clocks!) cos im still always 1st out of bed!
With Jelly being so young im thinking she'd be the best to train to possibly jump on my head to wake me(& i cant believe she doesnt already as she must be ready for toilets)It really would be a help especially as my hearing deteriorates further, if youve no ideas on how would anyone know who i could contact ie;hearing dogs but im sure they only deal with their own dogs? Thanks ever so much in advance:) oh & im sure my poor neighbours would be most grateful too

i would still contact the hearing people, if the dog is right they can train your own dog. i investigated getting Peaches trained as a asistance dog when i was first confirmed disabled, but i am not disabled enough apparently.

good luck and keep us updated!

Perhaps you could have a bedside table lamp pointed at your head, like those student lamps, and plugged into a timer.
We have a small table lamp in our bedroom, set on a timer, that comes on a few minutes before the clock radio in the a.m., so that it's easier to wake up in those dark winter mornings.

The way to start,is lay on the floor,pretend you are asleep,get his favorite toy or a treat,say cheese or cooked chicken,place that under you,call him,still pretending to be asleep,get him to sniff around you and when he starts nuzzling,pretend to wake,so on so on.till you dont need atreat.Loads of praise,it may take a couple of months,then you can progress to your bed.Then start again.Try that.

Our dog, Arthur, gets up with th alarm clock because he knows that mean he is about to get breakfast. Of course, he is a VERY food driven dog but we call him our alarm clock...he is up at 6 AM even without an alarm on weekends and demanding breakfast.

I am sure there are some negative things about feeding a dog at the exact same time everyday but we live a fairly routined life and they get fed at 6 AM and 7 PM and they know it....we can't escape it unless we are not home. I would think that if you have a dog that can be very motivated by food then feed them at the same time every morning for awhile..if they are anything like Arthur they won't let you forget when it is breakfast time.

There's an alarm clock called the "Sonic Boom" that has a vibrating disc that's attached to it. You put the disc under your pillow and you can set the alarm to go off REALLY loud and/or just shake your pillow. It really works! Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-SB200ss-Alarm-Clock/dp/B000EX7LNM/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b

Good luck! :)

I was going to say the same thing. You can also get a door bell that makes your ceiling lights flash, there are lots of products to help with hearring problems.

I have been learning BSL (British Sign Language) for the past 2 years but have been using SSE (Sign Supported English) for 20 years. I really recommend learning sign language, it can be so much fun. Otherwise you may feel quite isolated if your hearing becomes a worse. I only say this as my friends Nan was completely deaf and she used to get very upset she missed out on jokes when everyone else was laughing.

Here's one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBRATING-ALARM-CLOCK-Vibration-Aid-blind-under-pillow_W0QQitemZ170297036888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27a67e9058&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

-Maybe use your cell phone with the alarm setting, on vibrate?

This will also work-
Start feeding your dog, early in the morning, when your alarm is supposed to go off.
Believe me, after a few weeks, you will have a 4 legged, waggity tailed alarm clock.

I would also use the mobile phone on vibrate.
If I had to depend on Bella to wake me I'd never be up in time. She's the laziest dog in the mornings. However when my alarm goes of the cat starts up. He's at my head :jmp:and yelling his head off and he won't settle until I get up.

Maybe i didnt think this thro!!

:) Just an update :)
Ive been doing some training with jelly & a few mornings she has jumped on my face when the alarm has gone off-yay! Some morns she hasnt bothered & clearly wanted to sleep on, this morn the little monkey jumped on me before the alarm went off (puppy elbow in the eye not the kindest way to be woken:D) so i thought she must be ready for a wee but no, she ran into the lounge, onto the chair & promptly went back to sleep for an hour,rubes joined her & they both enjoyed their "lie in"! :rolleyes:
So this evening i did a bit more training-lying on the bed with her pretending sleep then going peep peep peep(sort of close to the alarm noise) she responded sooo enthusiastically by jumping on my head that i heard my neck crack & am now in a good deal of pain & cant move my neck:oops:I still told her good girl of course! she's only 8lbs so this perhaps(!) isnt going to work long term as i dont fancy a fully grown darling jumping on my head-maybe id better order the sonic boom instead!Lol xx

Back