• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice re Frontline

jasperpaw

I Frontlined Jasper with Frontline Combo on 19 July and we bathed him at the weekend, the last couple of days he has been biting himself and scratching quite a bit so he has obviously got a problem, would it be safe to give him another dose, or is it too soon, I always thought it was pretty strong, the only reason I am using it as I got 6 pipettes last time so can`t afford to waste them - only have 2 more to use, won`t be getting them again, the vet did tell us back last year that they did`nt seem to work as well as they used to.

I asked the same question on another internet group and the answer was, as I suspected, "No." Too much poison, too soon.

Perhaps some flea spray applied daily will repel them until it is safe to apply something else. I'm going to use K9Advantix the next time and see if I have beter luck. In some places, the fleas have become immune to Frontline.

Personaly I never use insectasides on my guys (I only use wormers)- but thats my personal choice! :)

I wouldnt give another dose of the frontline but I would bath him in a nice herbal shampoo that prevents fleas etc... I use Dorwest herbs pennyroyal shampoo ( www.dorwest.com) - it's nice & gentle & I honestly havent seen a flea in 4 years!! There are others you can get from the pet shops - ones with tea tree oil or neem oil are usualy pretty good - will soothe his skin too if it's bothering him.

Does he actualy have fleas? or could he have a reaction to the shampoo you bathed him in?

Frontline...........................

It seems that Frontline is not doing its job and I know of two cases of severe reaction where dogs have lost coat and become sore.

In one case FRONLINE paid the Vets bill ?

I use garlic on their food and NEVER see a flea or a Tic - thats honest.

Regards Mark

Thanks everyone for your advice, will certainly look at getting something herbal. I bathed him in Johnson`s evening primrose oil shampoo so would`nt think that has caused it, he has been lying in his usual place in the chair on his back and I have just discovered he has a small weeping spot in his rear area by feathering, so definately some sort of bite.

Frontline gave my old dog Toby a 2" sore that remained bald for months, never again will I use a spoton type of flea treatment

I have used Advocate in the past, every month it was a big deal as Dougall got very upset and then insisted sleeping on my husbands head.
Mollys skin looked red, so I have stopped. I found something called Neem
it is made from the seeds of a Neem Tree, it is totally natural and as
a bonus keeps ticks away too. www.discoverneem.com there is a dog
section and lots of information generally on the websites.

Just an FYI- for fleas, you don't have to use a flea shampoo to kill them. They will die in ANY soap.

My vet's office told me that Frontline and the topicals do NOT deter fleas & ticks, they simply kill them AFTER they've bitten your dog. :mad: It sounds like your dog may have a flea allergy- even one flea bite can send them over the top if they have an allergy to them.

Horrible rotten fleas!! We are having a real problem with them around my neck of the woods....knock on wood Jake and Shelby are flea-free right now but sure are scratching like crazy. I've flea combed and bathed and have seen a single flea on them.

I'm hearing more and more about Frontline not working. I don't use any topicals on mine. I do bathe once a week and we vacuum almost daily. We also treat our house with Flea Busters-type powder. Bedding gets washed every few days.

Jake has flea allergy dermatitis so we have to really stay on top of those little boogers around here. Last year he had to have a couple of areas shaved because he developed hot spots...and I only found 1 flea on him. But that's enough to set him off.

When either of mine gets a sore started from scratching/biting I spray a little antiseptic/anti fungal on the area. Right now I am using this spray http://www.schreiners.com/PETS_SITE/Pets_herbs.htm and I just spray a little bit where the sore has started and rub it in.

Thanks for everyone`s advice, went online on Friday and resquested Dorwest catalogue and it came Saturday morning with a list of stockist in our area, so went off to pet shop and purchased their Garlic tablets, says also good for cough and heart so be good for Jaspers MVD along side his conventional medication, I am going to order the Pennyroyal shampoo in a few days, but we are off to South Devon for our hols, so will order it on my return so hopfully this will sort out his problems.

Back