• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Descaling/ removing tartar

galaxy66

Is it possible to do this yourself with care, one of my dogs, Branden has lilly white teeth because he is always chewing his rope etc. but the other Serge, because he will not chew his toys is beginning to get a build up of discolouration on his teeth. I clean their teeth now and again, probably not as often as I should have done but even we humans need to have a visit to the dental hygenist despite regular cleaning. As Serge is very compliant as regards having his teeth cleaned and I am not hamfisted with tools I feel confident that given the right advice regarding the instrument required I can do it myself. The only alternative I believe is to have the teeth done under general anaesthetic at the vets which I am never happy with.

Last edited:
Hi
I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near ,my four get their teeth done to excess every night but I would
never consider attempting anything like this leave it to the experts, also a lot of the nasty bacteria is in the
gums .So patience and persevrance with Serge will pay off and nightly brushing is the only answer together
with sensible feeding .:)

Some dogs just seem more prone to developing tartar whatever you do!!

This is very effective for removing plaque http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-c...den-plaque-off-animal-for-dogs-and-cats-p-298

I also use homeopathic fragaria, if you search on the board you will find lots of posts about it, I buy mine from http://gentletouchremedies.co.uk/

It is good to clean the teeth every day, http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/caval...-finger-toothbrush-toothcleaner/prod_188.html this helps remove the softened tartar.

It's best to get into a routine, maybe after breakfast or something.

Cheers Brian, I am here to listen to advice :)
I could not improve on his diet, he is not fed soft or tinned foot, in fact our two are fed a bagged food recommended by Nicki, a German brand, but I can clean their teeth nightly

Thanks Nicki, will get hold of those, would the tartar eventually be removed if I follow that advice or will he need to go to the vets?

Hi

Once you get them into the habit they really enjoy it and my four all sit down
in a line waiting for the fun to commence .They seem to really like the taste of
Logic Gel and te Petzlife products

Bestest Wishes To You

Bri
and Pops ,Daisy ,Rosie and Lily:)

Hi

Once you get them into the habit they really enjoy it and my four all sit down
in a line waiting for the fun to commence .They seem to really like the taste of
Logic Gel and te Petzlife products

Bestest Wishes To You

Bri
and Pops ,Daisy ,Rosie and Lily:)

It's the Petzlife spray that has made a huge difference to Pippins teeth. I also use plaque off, but found that wasn't enough for Pippin though it made a difference with Maddie. They do have their teeth brushed as well.

I brush Martha's teeth and use plaque off, but her back teeth are a bit discoloured (but they haven't got plaque on them) No amount of brushing makes any difference to the brown discolouration.
Does anone know if there is a product to lift the colour or would I need to get the vet to do a dental on her?

Otherewise her teeth are in good order.

Hello dave
so you need a spray and the best around i
think is the one by Petzlife .not a lover of plaque
off so i have dropped that from my teeth cleaning kit

Rhds

Back