• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhea

The things we do for love!!:D

I never fed any rice with the I/D either. Knock on wood, none of my girls has had any real problems. I think the lizard they eat every once in a while gets to them, but not nerves.

Remali, wait until the discussion turns to the different "smells". I can tell if there is blood in it even when you can't see blood. Had a friend who could tell what someone was feeding their puppy by the way the poop smelled! The joy of veterinary work!!

wish i'd been able to get on the board over the last few days. indy got diarreah on friday as well! i was trying to drag my parents over to the poop round table without thinking about the fact that they might not be as excited about the re-appearance of firm poops as i was!

holly i'm also convinced that indy's tummy is upset by stress. the vet found no evidence of worms or infection, but he's on metronidazole and science diet i/d anyway. the i/d made indy much better as i had no luck with the rice and chicken. one thing to look into is giardia, but i'm assuming that if oliver went to the vet he probably checked for it. i'd never heard of this tummy parasite (that humans get as well) but apparently it's highly contagious and a lot of dogs can pick it up from the communal water bowls at dog parks, etc...

indy's diarreah is always full of mucous---i mentioned it to the vet a few times but they didn't say anything about colitis. is this an indicator of it?

i hope oliver feels better soon! i'm sure the i/d will help him.

k

Kim, given what all you've been up to the last week, I'd bet Indy's is stress related too. My vet's tech told me that that Cavaliers get colitis a lot because of stress because they are a clingy breed that really needs to be around people and can get stressed easily.

I'm starting a new job on the 29th and I'll be working away from home for the first time ... I'm getting a dog walker but I think I need to start leaving Lucky alone more during the day to get him gradually used to it ... I prefer to just listen to the poop discussions rather than sharing the details of Lucky's poo so I don't want to get him too stressed out... :eek:

I hope Oliver and Indy both feel better soon.

Thanks, guys. Just returned from the vet and he did a thorough exam and a few tests and pronounced it...stress induced. He gave him an injection (I was so surprised-Oliver didn't even flinch or make a peep!) of an anti-diahrreal med and sent us home with flagy, anti-d pills, and a 6-pack of I/D to keep him on until Monday. He has had that anti-d med before and it really knocks him out and makes him woozy.

He also said that if I need to go away again, to have someone give him an Immodium on the day before I return home.

With Oliver's tummy problems, thank goodness for Pet Insurance! Anyway, thanks to everyone for sympathizing and sharing your stories!

The vet also knew nothing about SM so I got his email address to send him the info.

Hope everyone else is feeling better soon!

Oh, and... I asked him to look at Oliver's knees because lately, on occasion, I have noticed him limping a teeny-tiny bit which has mad me nervous. He said his left hind kneecap felt a bit loose and there may be a slight tear that may or may not heal itself so he wants to keep an eye on it... uh-oh!! :(

My experience has been that the mucus is usually present in the stool when the problem is caused by IBS, colitis, stress (whatever you want to call it!). The I/D and flagyl always worked for us - hope you are able to keep some on hand.

Luckily my Cavs aren't very nervous. And so far Sasha hasn't shown signs of that. But I know from living with my first shihtzu what you guys are going through. Keep the carpet cleaner handy!!

Speaking of, I have found the Resolve Dual Action Carpet Cleaner to work miracles in these situations if anyone is looking for a good one!

LOL crittercall...speaking of poo smells, I nearly mentioned that in my post, because when Bentley had that liquidy diarhhea a couple weeks ago the smell could have knocked ya right over....LOL Sure glad that is over with!

Great tip on the carpet cleaner! I usually use Nature's Miracle, but I'm always looking for more stuff to clean with. I am considering buying a carpet shampooer/steam vac....and I actually just posted a new thread on the Dog and Bone section about which steam vacs people like and/or have. I have beige carpets and I rent, and I want them to stay as clean as possible, so I figure with two dogs and a house-bunny, I need to buy myself a good steam vac! LOL! :D

I'm glad that Oliver is better! I agree with the stress/clingy Cavalier theory, Bentley is really attached to me, and having another dog (Bailey) does help him, but I think he still stresses out a bit too. And I am also starting a new job on the 29th, and I won't be able to stay home if he gets sick, so I have my fingers crossed he stays "D-free"! :xfngr:

Back