• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone think their cavy sheds less than others?

I have not noticed an extreme amt of shedding. I use the furminator once a week, brush her daily and have NO FUR BALLS anywhere. Now Hali is only 10 months but I've had labs /cats shed more. They are worth it! Debbie

My Jack Russel sheds as an olympic sport I think - so to me any breed that dosn't shed as much as her is a blessing!

(Although I did tell my other half that Cav's dont shed before we got Sparky & the first time he held him he had fluffy cavy hair on him & I got 'the look' - served him right for believing me!!!)

They do shed, but I only vacuum once a week and have 3 dogs (2 Cavs) and a cat. The hair doesn't really bother me except when a floater somehow makes it into my food! ;)

I had a poodle once that didn't shed at all, but the amount of maintenance required was insane (brushing, grooming, etc) that I would easily choose a shedding dog over a non-shedding dog for that reason alone.

The words you said were used to describe the amount of shedding...I don't recall seeing them in posts! Perhaps they were used as an exaggeration.

I had a poodle once that didn't shed at all, but the amount of maintenance required was insane (brushing, grooming, etc) that I would easily choose a shedding dog over a non-shedding dog for that reason alone.

I certainly do hear this point made quite frequently.

The words you said were used to describe the amount of shedding...I don't recall seeing them in posts! Perhaps they were used as an exaggeration.

Oh yes, those words are there ..and then some!! That's why my heart sank reading these numerous posts. I too thought maybe people where just exaggerating and that's why this thread of posts started.

It seems that some people are dealing with a lot of hair (that even daily brushing won't help in terms of keeping it from inundating the house) and some people say with brushing it really isn't bad at all. I'd love to know why the differences ...1) diet?, 2) certain colours shed more than others?, 3) shorter lighter coats don't shed as much? Maybe an approach I could take would be to adopt a black and tan or ruby because their hair colour is not as noticeable (except in butter ;0)).

One breeder I talked to said she feeds her dogs a holistic food and they shed only about 1/3 as much as cavies on other diets. Man, I'd love to know if there is any truth to that!

I certainly do hear this point made quite frequently.

Oh yes, those words are there ..and then some!! That's why my heart sank reading these numerous posts. I too thought maybe people where just exaggerating and that's why this thread of posts started.

It seems that some people are dealing with a lot of hair (that even daily brushing won't help in terms of keeping it from inundating the house) and some people say with brushing it really isn't bad at all. I'd love to know why the differences ...1) diet?, 2) certain colours shed more than others?, 3) shorter lighter coats don't shed as much? Maybe an approach I could take would be to adopt a black and tan or ruby because their hair colour is not as noticeable (except in butter ;0)).

One breeder I talked to said she feeds her dogs a holistic food and they shed only about 1/3 as much as cavies on other diets. Man, I'd love to know if there is any truth to that!

In the end, it really doesn't matter. You'll fall in love with your dog and love him/her and never think twice. Kind of like when I leave my clothes on the floor. My wife may not like it but I hope she won't divorce me over it!

I have not noticed an extreme amt of shedding. I use the furminator once a week, brush her daily and have NO FUR BALLS anywhere. Now Hali is only 10 months but I've had labs /cats shed more. They are worth it!

Now this is what I like to read!! But I wonder if the puppy hasn't blown it's coat yet??? If anyone knows at what age we can expect a puppy to blow its coat PLEASE reply (or I suppose I could do a search and see if this info is already posted somewhere).

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I truly value you comments and they are helping me to make an important decision!

Kelly

Before we got Armani, tri, we have always had mini schnauzers. I was really worried about the shedding with him since MS don't shed. But we do have two cats. The cats shed a whole lot more compared to Armani. I would take a cavalier over cats any day!
My tumbleweeds are from Armani, but I sweep often and vacum once a week. Ya just can't wear black or carry him while wearing dark clothes!
Good luck on your decision!

If you have dark furniture, then the b/t or rubies would probably be better for not showing the fur. I don't think the amount of shedding has anything to do with food, etc.- the amount of shedding just varies dog to dog just like people. When I wash my hair, my drain is clogged...but other people lose almost nothing. So, you never know. Everyone and every dog is different.

IF shedding is your #1 concern you should consider a non-shedding breed.

I never really even think about the hair, honestly. I just sweep as needed. Just like I clean up all my toddler's messes and toys at the end of the day...it just goes with the territory! (y)

If shedding is a big concern I would definitely not get a cavalier. At best they are described as a medium shedding breed, but they do have long hair, and it will drop, and drop a lot about twice a year for many dogs. There is definitely a difference between individual dogs (I am one with two heavy shedders and two 'light' shedders (that is by cavalier standards) but there are lots of hairs on clothes, furniture and the ever present tumbleweeds as well. I need to brush them at least a couple of times weekly or mats start to form [particularly behind the ears and in their 'armpits'. That would be the average experience. Some mat and shed more than others but this is simply not a low shed breed in any way, shape or form.

People with dogs under two years and especially puppies or dogs under a year will NOT be seeing the full shedding experience yet, believe me! Puppies generally hardly shed at all especially when under 6 months. They hardly have any coat! Cavaliers develop their coats pretty slowly -- with my boys it wasn't til they were about three that the full coat really came in.

Many people will brush and groom daily to stay on top of the shedding and the mats etc. Lucy and Lily I could brush daily and still never get all the dead hair out of them -- both have heavier coats.

Black fur tends to shed more than the other colours but that said, Lucy my blenheim is the biggest shedder of them all in my house and the hairiest dog.

Short haired dogs often are more difficult for shedding -- pugs, labs etc -- because they constantly lose small hairs that get embedded everywhere. I think longer haired breeds are easier to manage in that sense. It is a good idea to check out breeds thoroughly as everyone has their own wants in a dog and not every breed suits every person. So you are right to do research like this with owners of the breed. (y)

The idea of how much is shed really must be relative. Having owned herding breeds and still owning a Husky, I find the shedding of the Cavalier and the Cavalier mix I own to be negligible. My Ruby boy has a short coat which I believe those in show stay away from, but it was one of his selling points for me, and indeed I find he sheds less than my Cavalier mix, which has the parti coloring and a fuller coat and flarings. White is very noticeable when it sheds, but I do know she just is a different dog, and sheds more.

My Cavalier and my Cavalier mix do not produce tumbleweeds, and I only brush them once a week and bathe them once a month - if that. Still, if they are on my lap, they do leave some evidense behind. My husky on the other hand . . . . :)

Arlene and her three, J P (Alaskan Husky), Missie (Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel), and Rocky (Cavalier)

It's definitely relative -- I grew up with a pyrenees! :lol: -- but the point is really that if shedding is a major deciding point for getting the breed, and someone really does not want to face much shedding hair, this isn't a great breed for that goal. It is pretty rare to get a low shedder. And for some people, even a low shedding long haired breed is a LOT of shedding. So the perspective is relative, too! :)

I have not been able to wear a pair of black trousers without having dog hairs show up on them, in 5 years. :lol:

Back