• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Neuter- effects of anesthesia and pain meds?

R4chie

Hi, I have a 5 month old puppy who was just neutered last Monday. He also had an umbilical hernia repair as well. Ever since the surgery he's been pooping extremely loose stools, diarrhea-like. He's playing, eating, drinking, and sleeping like himself... he's full of piss and vinegar, but his stools are just not normal.

I went to the vets on Thursday of last week and they gave me fortiflora to try and build up the good bacteria in his system again. I also started giving him Immodium A.D. over the weekend and things really haven't changed. Has anyone else had this issue after a neuter surgery? Are these lasting effects from all the meds/stress?

FWIW, Imodium is not a drug that I would ever use for dogs because it affects motility. Many vets recommend not using this drug for pets. I would phone the vet and ask him/her for something such as metronidazole.

Pat

Hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

Just as a general point -- always be sure to check whether any human medication is OK for dogs. (y) Many things are OK in appropriately small amounts but some can cause illness or are even are lethal even though they are fine for humans.

Immodium can split opinion with vets. I use it occasionally for mild diarrhea and find it effective myself; thanks Pat for the alternative suggestion.

Pureed canned pumpkin for my pets has always been a great remedy for loose stools. Try feeding 1 - 3 spoon fulls a day and see if that helps.

Back