• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New to forum, New to Cavaiers, even new to being a dog owner

Bocco

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. My wife and I got our first dog last October. She is a Blenheim girl named Sansa. We are having a great time spoiling her. She is 5 1/2 months old and doing very well with house training. As soon as she gets out of the chewing and biting stage life should be great.

I will post a pick in the puppy pics section.

Gary

Hi, and welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about you little girl! I have a Ruby named BellaMia. She's 2.5 years and I have a Tri named Milo. He'll be a year old next week. I know what you mean about that biting stage....who would think these cute and adorable pups could have such sharp teeth!

So glad you'll be posting pictures.....I think everyone here loves puppy pictures!

OK, I just tried to post a pic in the puppy section but it looks like I still have to wait for moderator approval.

What an adorable name! Can't wait to see her pictures. Once she gets out of her biting stage I think you'll find that cavaliers start to grow on you and you'll find yourself thinking that maybe one just isn't enough!!! I couldn't stop at two or even three! Four is my personal limit though!

Congratulations! You'll never be the same. Bentley is 4 yrs old, our first house dog, and we're in our 70s! We had always lived in the country and had outside dogs that we paid very little attention to except for feeding/watering and providing a place to sleep. The best place they ever slept was the garage. Now for Bentley it's "whatever he wants to do is fine." His chewing was atrocious for the first several months but he never, ever did it after that. Our antique dining table bears the scars on the base and the chairs as well. The handles of the leather recliners are chewed, the base of another antique side table is chewed, he once chewed the corner off my cedar chest and we continue to love him to pieces. Someday we'll get it all repaired....

Now for Bentley it's "whatever he wants to do is fine." ....

I laughed at that. I make excuses for Bosco all the time. He never ate furniture, but has an obessession with paper and cardboard. he has eaten paper money (the bank understood!), the corners of books, boxes of any sort, and if he gets at a box of tissues , forget it!

Still, he's the "most perfect dog ever."

Joan

Tried to post a pic last night. Not sure if it worked because all of my post need to approved by the moderator. Hopefully this won't be permanent. Feels like I'm on probation.

She did loose both lower canine baby teeth last night. I'm sure there will be more chewing to come as she tries to break the new ones in.

Sophie was an aggressive chewer until she was two years old. We kept her in chews and never had a problem with her chewing anything she ought not chew. We've been quite lucky with all our various dogs, over the decades, when it comes to chewing ( knock on wood!)

Welcome to the forum. Keep lots of chews to hand and when Sansa chews what she shouldn't. say a firm but gentle 'No', divert her away from the non-chew area and reward her with something she IS allowed to chew. They grow out of it!

Kate, Oliver (13-year-old ruby) and Aled (7-year-old blenheim)

. . . . . divert her away from the non-chew area and reward her with something she IS allowed to chew. They grow out of it!

i also praise our dog when they accept the chew, too. I don't know if it helps reinforce, in a positive way, that is what they should have in their mouth, but I feel better doing it. :)

Back