• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

our unbelievable experience at the groomers

Super Princess

Its now a few weeks later and i am over my initial anger..

I dont get mad at companies very often...i am usually pretty easy going...i would rather register on Yelp and write a good review then i ever would complain about someone.
Which is exactly what i had done in the past for our groomer...they asked for reviews so i registrd on google and yelp just to rave about them.

But a few weeks ago we had a very different experience.

I took maggie in for a drop in toe tidy and sanitary shave.
Their debit was down so i left her with them and went to the bank to get cash.

they didnt know i had returned they were in back with maggie...but i opned the door to the groomers and heard her just SCREAMING...crying out in a way i have never heard before.
They kept yelling at her to "stop. stop it! NO." yelling at her as she screamed.

Now i have stayed in the past for her sanitary and toes. she always stays still and quiet..

When they finally realized i was there they whispered to eachother then brought her out.

As i paied i asked "was that her crying?"
To which the girl replied "no that was another dog.. maggie dosnt cry during her appointments. " Usually correct.

but i think evey single one of you, just like me, would recgnoize her puppies cry, just as a parent would recgonize their childs cry.

I tacked on a "oh sometimes she cries if she knows im on the other side of the door at grandpas."
Immediatly the girls response changed. "oh yes that was her, yes she saw you..we knew you were there."

So she lied to me. And they yelled at my dog while she was crying.

I didnt find out untill later that night why she was crying.

They sliced her nipple off during the sanitary shave.

she was trying to tell them in the only way she could, that she was in pain..that it hurt. and they yelled at her. Then lied to my face.

I can understand accidents happen. maybe i am more understanding of that then most people. They are proffesional and should know how to cut a dogs fur without hurting them, but i can understand it was an accident.

but the yelling at her and the lie to my face?

I wrote the groomers facebook the next day and explained what happened. but i was too nice. i didnt tell them WHY i was upset. i didnt tell them it was the lying and yelling at my dog that upset me..i left that out.

After going to facebook with my story..(not open to everyone just personal) people urged me to write back agian and tell them why i was upset .
So i did. i wrote another email...a longer one..explaining my experience and why i was upset.

The owner of the grooming salon wrote back in a snarky tone saying that Maggie did not cry when she got her nipple sliced off but rather she cried when she got her toe nails cut..and if maybe i did that more often she wouldnt cry like that.

(fyi i get maggies toe nails cut at a different salon )
i was shaking...just furuious.

after work i marched into my vets office..who we see on a regular basis..every SINGLE saturday to monitor maggies weight loss.. and showed him the email and asked point blank.
would it hurt if they cut her nipple off (obvoiusly ..answer was yes)
would it hurt to get her toe nails cut (not unless they cut the wick)
and how were her toes 20 minutes before i took her in to the groomer on saturday?
they were an acceptable length.
both he and the assistant were absolutly shocked with what happened and the response this buisness had given us.

so with my vet backing me up i was able to write a response to this woman, my response was well worded...i didnt loose my temper. i used facts from my vet to back up my statements and told her i would be taking my buisness elsewhere, but advised her in the future to not yell at the dogs..but to comfort them and attempt to figure out why they were screaming in pain..if ever god forbid that was to happen again, and to not lie to the customer (repeatedly).

This upsets me most of all, because perviously they were really good. I went out of my way to rave about them..not only on review sites but on my own facebook..spreading the word how awesome they were.
I trusted them with my fur child..and was let down big time. What would have happened had i not walked in on the yelling and her screaming?

Ive found very similar incidents on their facebook wall.. which they deleted when i posted that i sent the OP a message.

Friday i had MAggie into another groomer we've used before and had good relationship with, i was a wreck all day thinking about her. how would she feel when the razor came out.. i trusted them but i was more worried about how she would feel being at a groomers again.

It went fine..she looks amazing..
her summer cut shows off her body and the weight loss shes had.

That was our experience..just wanted to share.

Chelsea
You have handled this with a great deal more diplomacy than I would!
I am furious just reading your post at how both you and Maggie have been treated. :mad:
Yes accidents happen…but surely if they are professional they must know a) how to groom a dog and b) that yelling at one won't get you the desired behaviour you want.

Im not a vindictive person, but you stated you have gone out of your way to rave about them….well If I were you I would now be going out of my way to let anyone who would listen know what an appalling service you have received.

I hope Maggie gets over her trauma…she probably will, Cavaliers as such forgiving little dogs.

Give Maggie a gentle hug from Leo and I :hug:

Just the thought of what Maggie went through makes me cringe. I know I wouldn't haven't have been as calm. These people need to know that absolutely NO dog should have to endure that kind of pain.

The groomer I bring Bella and Milo to are the same ones I brought Sydney to. The front of their shop only has a counter with a gate attached, so you can see the dogs being groomed. There is no wall so anyone can see.

I hope Maggie has recovered nicely from her bad experience.

yikes!! I am sorry. I don't take my dogs to groomers because I have heard to many horror stories. They just don't care for our dogs like we do. I hope your girl doesn't have any lasting bad memories from this experience.

Oh my word. Just speechless. Poor little Maggie; you handled it very well. What a horrible business :(

Back