• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy playing

Battie4

I was just wondering what puppy playing is actually like? Its kind of an odd question but evertime Sugar and Waffles play together Waffles is always growling and trying to bite Sugar on her ears or her mouth (she really likes to bite Sugar's mouth). I dunno if this is normal or not? It seems pretty rough to me and Sugar is starting to show a little more attitude towards Waffles in that when chasing her she will nip and bite at her ears. Is this all normal or am I just worried over nothing. They seem to have a good time I think. I should probably post a video or something of them playing to show what I am talking about.

Nothing could be more normal! :D

My puppy Beau & adult Sonny play exactly like you describe. Beau chews on Sonny ears, hangs off them, jumps on his back & pretend bites him all over. They do what I call "tooth fighting", which is like sword fighting except it is done with their teeth. They both open their mouths up really wide & pretend to be biting each other's face off. Then they do "Ninja attack" where they growl & make these high pitch ninja noises like you see in those kung-fu movies.

They take turns at being the aggressor with one on their back and the other on top growling & pouncing around.

Enjoy it, it is fun!

You will identify it if it gets out of hand. It just has a different, more unpleasant sound to it and you can tell by looking at them that it isn't fun any more. The only time I have seen that kind of puppy fight as when we go to puppy school. There are a couple of Jack Russels that don't play very nicely and it gets the other puppies a bit p---ed off, Beau included.

Anway, here are a couple of pickies of Beau & Sonny tooth fighting.

SonnyBeau070424002.jpg

SonnyBeau070424004.jpg

Yep, very normal. At times when things start sounding really rough, I'll step in, but that doesn't happen very often. You'll know if it gets too rough.

Caraline: That is an absolutely GREAT picture of two dogs playing!

They do what I call "tooth fighting", which is like sword fighting except it is done with their teeth. They both open their mouths up really wide & pretend to be biting each other's face off. Then they do "Ninja attack" where they growl & make these high pitch ninja noises like you see in those kung-fu movies.

That about sums it up! :lol: Though I tend to be their object of attacks if I am playing with them; far less do they play amongst themselves.

Some dogs just don't care much for playing of this sort. Jaspar and Leo and Lily rarely play together -- they hang out and sleep in a pile together, and sometimes Leo and Jaspar chase each other and play fight, but pretty rarely. I've rarely had them around small puppies but I do know Jaspar isn't much interested in puppies. I'd say Leo and Lily would be. So all dogs are different. :)

Older dogs rarely are really rough with puppies. There's also a balance -- as the puppy gets older, the older dogs tolerate a bit less of real roughhousing and may nip or growl to discipline an overly bite-y pup. That's good for the pup to learn self control from older dogs in this way -- it is how they learn bite inhibition. But it is different than nipping in play, which your two seem to be doing right now, very happily.

Normal, my two do the same thing I call it face fighting. bobo (cav) pulls on dusty(cockapoo) beard and dusty pulls on bobo's ears and play growling.
judy

My mum's dog used to do it to my cat. She wasn't impressed at all, he looked & sounded like a walrus & sometimes got a smack for it. Never stopped him, he loved winding her up.

Scout and Breeze do the same thing. Both of their mouths wide open, of course Breeze is a bit more intimidating looking, but it's so cute the way Scout opens her little mouth towards Breeze is comical. The when Breeze lays on her side, Scout jumps on her and starts trying to bite her neck sounds very vicious.

lol - completely normal :) :)

Our young 'un wants to play fight the others, but they won't have it. Yesterday I went to my friends for the day and he played with her pup - he loved it :) :).

He also stole all the chews, which were up high, but he climbed. Then he had very poorly tum at bedtime! ;)

ah that first couple of photos is exactly how Sugar and Waffle splay together. But since Sugar is a bigger dog (year old anf about 20 pounds) her jaw is a lot bigger than Waffles. It literally looks like she can bite off Waffles head when she does that. But im glad its all normal

But since Sugar is a bigger dog (year old anf about 20 pounds) her jaw is a lot bigger than Waffles. It literally looks like she can bite off Waffles head when she does that.

You should see how it looks when an adult Boxer & a puppy Boxer play the tooth fight. My adults would open their mouths up wide (flip top heads) & the puppy would literally put his head right up inside the adults mouth, who would be play growling at the puppy. Used to totally freak out the visitors. :lol:

I can spend hours watching the puppies & the adults play fighting.

Back