• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Acupuncture making things worse?

MishathePooh

Misha had his first acupuncture treatment about 19 hours ago and just yelped in the night. I brought out some treats and called him over to me. He is walking with a head tilt. He had a needle in the left side of his neck and that is where he is tilting. I am really worried that this could be serious? Here I thought acupuncture was a can't hurt might help. Any advice would be appreciated.

The vet is certified by the Chi Institute in Reddick, Fl and apparently gets referrals from Ohio State University Vet Hospital so I assume that he does good practice.

As long as the acupunsturist is experienced and knowledagable about the condition, and obviously trained and licensed, then there should not be issues about visiting them [ - they need to be a vet to carry out acupuncture, as your practitioner obviously is]

However it is not unknown with treatments such as acupuncture for a healing crisis to occur, where the dog [or person!] apparently gets worse for a while - in fact, this is often a good sign as it means they are having a very strong reaction to the treatment.

I used to find acupuncture very painful and would be worse for a while, but then it would really help with pain relief.

I think however I would telephone and tell them what has happened, so they can advise you further.

Yes, I will phone them as soon as they open in a half hour.

Thank you for your encouraging words; they are making me feel less panicked.

The vet said that his symptoms were definitely not normal. We opted for Traumeel today and a return visit tomorrow if he's not better. The Traumeel seems to be doing the trick though so fingers crossed.

So glad the Traumeel is helping - and I think it might be sensible to go back and see them. I would have thought that they would have wanted to see him straight away if they thought something was wrong though?

Misha got a lot worse last night, crying through a lot of it. He apparently has a neck issue (not by where the acupuncture point was though). The vet thinks he fell and probably wrenched it. We're hoping rimadyl will help him a lot. Fingers crossed. He seems ok now, I just really hope he's OK through the night.

Ahh that would make sense - we always assume things are connected but of course, it can be something else causing it.

I hope you had a better night - are you going back today?

He did seem a bit better last night, only cried 2x but still seems very uncomfortable. He is sleeping better but when he wakes up he is in a state. He can barely hobble for a minute and then seems to be able to slowly walk it off into a normal gait. I called to ask about adding tramadol and/or methocarbamol to decrease his pain level.

Back