• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on how to put someone off breeding

Cavvygirl

Hi all,

I went to my usual pet store to get some more dog treats and noticed that someone had an advert and it read like this "cavalier king charles spaniel stud dog wanted - must be kc registered please call ". This is normally a really good pet store and I am suprised they have allowed such an advert but I really don't feel I can turn and blind eye and want to ring them to firstly check that they are aware of the health problems with the breed and secondly point them in the right direction of waht tests etc they need to do. i am sure I will be met with a frosty response and want to go about it in the best way possible so am looking for your advice. Should I also speak to the pet store about their advert?

I just can't bear to see someone blindly breeding and although I haven't spoken to them yet so maybe jumping the gun a bit I don't think a responsible breeder would advertise in a pet store?

You could always smile brightly at the petshop assistant and go "OOh I have the perfect stud dog for this person...Do you mind if I take this?"
Then casually walk off with the ad and dump it in the nearest bin;)
Sins

Our local big Petsmart in Swindon wasn't interested when I approached them about the four adds for Cavalier pups on their board recently, they were not even remotely interested in the problem.
I simply remove all adds discreetly now. More than once I have enquired about the pups advertised to find that no health checks what so ever have been carried out. Shocking.

I was also concerned when I visited "Pre-owned" on the internet to read all the adds for stud dogs available there, some only a year old and already proven, many at 2yrs with good stud history, one with twenty litters under his belt. Just awful.

Alison.

The pet shop in Belfast nearly always has a sign up from someone advertising his BT for stud. I went in and said that given the problems with the breed I wasn't sure it was appropriate for them to show the ad so publicly in the window. They were very nice and understanding and chatty (and showed me some absolutely ADORABLE baby quails - the Cav of the bird world, seriously!) but the next time I went by the ad was still there. Bah.

The problem is the board is next to the till so I doubt I could remove it without the shop assistant seeing. I think the advert is one that will stay put and you can just take their number...I know its a long shot but i can't just do nothing, will see if I can remove if not will have to go with original option of ringing them and speaking to the pet store owner. I think if I had a long chat with the pet store owner they would care - not so sure about the "breeder"

pet shop

You could always put a card in yourself explaining the health problems with the breed, most shops charge for putting advertisements up so hopefully they would not turn down money as after all if they are not bothered what they advertise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could always put a card in yourself explaining the health problems with the breed, most shops charge for putting advertisements up so hopefully they would not turn down money as after all if they are not bothered what they advertise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good idea. keep it short so people read it.

Thats a great idea. Once i've dropped the kids off today (1st day at school!) then I will read up and see how to shorten the problems to fit on a card.:)

I am hoping you guys can help me come up with a small paragraph to put on my card for the pet store, I am also going to pay and put the advert card in as many pet stores as i can over here. My husband spoke to a lady today that has cavvies from over here and one has SM! I have a feeling i know where that cavvie came from and just want to make as many people aware of the condition as possible so that they will start demanding these tests from these "breeders". Being a small islnad word of mouth is very powerful and practically everyone uses the pet stores as most people own dogs out here so I am positive that it will make a difference to the people wanting cavaliers over here:)

Your help will be much appreciated:)

Back