• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Aggressive snaps and now bites when Pesto's thinks he might get disciplined

Like Karlin, I separate my pack's food bowls by at least two feet. I actually feed the boys on one side of the room and the girls on the other. Oz and Madison have been known to fight over chew toys, so I am in between them when they are eating and stay with them for a few minutes afterwards also to make sure nothing happens right after they finish. I want to see each of them walk away from their bowls calmly and not be in each other's face before I leave the kitchen. Also, Riley is a very slow, but steady eater and I don't want them to hover over her while she finishes. I only feed them once a day so monitoring each mealtime is no big deal. Sometimes I'll even sit on the floor in between the boys and the girls and they each come up for a little lap time and head rubs after they eat. I treasure that time.

With all due respect, this is absolutely not true.

Most trainers STRONGLY advise against feeding dogs near each other. The more dogs you have, the higher the risk of a problem. It is a very natural dog behaviour to fight over food; it often becomes a flash point for dogs over time, and it can be difficult to impossible to train dogs NOT to do this.

Surely, injury to the dog or owner, or even a fatal injury to a dog (and I know of these!) is not wrth trying to force dogs to eat close tgether? :eek:

I feed all of mine at least two feet apart and constantly supervised, or else in crates.

See:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2250:

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/many.txt:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1580:

Every trainer I have ever worked with says to feed multiple dogs separately. Just at the most basic level, it allows you to accurately watch how much dogs are eating. if they are off their food, if they have eaten medications, etc.

Experimenting with dog aggression at feeding times and trying to push multiple dogs into eating in close proximity is very risky to both dogs and owner and as noted above, can actually lead dogs to far greater problems. It is always better to avoid problems in the first place through good management than to wait til a problem arises, especially a problem that may result in severe injury.

Like Karlin, I separate my pack's food bowls by at least two feet. I actually feed the boys on one side of the room and the girls on the other. Oz and Madison have been known to fight over chew toys, so I am in between them when they are eating and stay with them for a few minutes afterwards also to make sure nothing happens right after they finish. I want to see each of them walk away from their bowls calmly and not be in each other's face before I leave the kitchen. Also, Riley is a very slow, but steady eater and I don't want them to hover over her while she finishes. I only feed them once a day so monitoring each mealtime is no big deal. Sometimes I'll even sit on the floor in between the boys and the girls and they each come up for a little lap time and head rubs after they eat. I treasure that time.

I shall just say that we both have heard from different experts and have had different experiences that have worked for us individually. I also do respect your thoughts and ideas, but I'm not sure I'm 100% in agreement.

Last edited:
Back