• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another upset tummy *long sorry*

*Pauline*

Dylan has yet another upset tummy. I came home from college last week to find Dylan had had an accident in the kitchen, softish brown poo with mucus and a little blood. I switched his diet to boiled chicken and rice, gave him some Pre-Kaolin I had left over from last time and got an appointment for the following day. Was given more Pre-Kaolin and was told he seems ok in himself (and he did) but on the way home he produced a "formed" bright yellow poo. Carried on with the Pre-Kaolin and yellow poos for 3 days. Finally produced a normal poo so started to gradually wean him back onto James Wellbeloved. We were about 3 days into this weaning and last night he woke me up at 2:30am, did a brown runny poo and got it all over his shorts.

I just can't work out whats wrong. If he had a bug, why would he produce a normal poo in the middle of a week of upset? I thought I would changed his food to Royal Canin sensitive canned food from the vet. I went to the vets today to get the food but the nurse said James Wellbeloved is a good food and he might have a bug, so I better see the vet.

I'd like to see one particular vet Josephina but she is busy till next week so I am seeing Thomas the polish vet at the same practise who is nice, he got to the bottom of things when Dylan had Campylobacter. But I just like to see the most experienced person in the practise.

Bugs can go up and down in severity and also, you were treating him with something to settle his stomach -- may have helped firm him up but whatever he has obviously came back and the normal food is irritating his stomach.

I always stop feeding entirely for 24 hours initially to rest their system.

Definitely sounds like a bug. If there's any amount of blood I am always more concerned as it is often the start of bleeding gastroenteritis. When mine get this they get tablets, plus an injection to settle the stomach. Two of mine just went through this.

Thanks Karlin. Sorry yours had this too, what tablets did the vet give them? It's happening far too often to Dylan and that's why I wondered if it was his food.

Hi Pauline

You're not alone - I had Rosie at the vets today because she's had yellow runny poo as well. She's still got her appetite and it almost broke my heart when I fast her for 24 hours - those big brown eyes were pleading with me to feed her! But the fast didn't work so I took her to the vets.

When the vet examined her, her tummy was a bit tender but her temperature was normal. So she was given two injections - Betamox and Metacam, and was given a five day course of antibiotics (Noroclav) and prebiotic granules (Canikur) to put in her food.

Hopefully this will sort her out, but she's to go back on Saturday to see how she's doing.

The only downside of the visit to the vets was she detected a slight heart murmer :( but said it wasn't anything to worry about for now.

Hope Dylan is feeling better soon :xfngr:.

Last edited:
Pauline and Sarah, I hope Dylan and Rosie are feeling a lot better very soon. It's no fun when they have upset tummies :(

Hope both Dylan and Rosie are feeling better soon. Pippin has had this a lot in the past so I know how stressful it can be..

Thank you Sarah, Claire and Pippa. I'm sorry Sarah to hear about Rosie's heart murmer. How old is she? :hug:

Thanks everyone for your support, it's much appreciated.

Pauline, Rosie turned 3 at the end of January.

When the vet was listening to her heart, she took a very long time so I knew before she said anything what the outcome would be. But, it's only minor and the vet has assured me that it is nothing to worry about for now.

The other thing the vet mentioned was Rosie needs her teeth cleaned but said that can be left until after her tummy is better - having her sore tummy pressed, temperature taken, anal glands emptied AND 2 injections was enough for one night:eek:.

I am sorry Dylan has had such an upset tummy. I sure hope it settles soon. It is quite safe to keep Dylan on the boiled chicken & rice for a week or two, and maybe that longer time might give his system the time to really be rid of that bug.

Poor Dylan had his temperature taken too and he really squealed and kept licking the vet the whole time it was in! :(

Sorry to hear that Dylan & Rosie are poorly right now, tummy upsets are never much fun for all involved, both dogs and human's, and I am very sorry to hear that Rosie has also had a murmur detected, might be worth having a certified cardiologist check that out when she is feeling better, sorry but I don't have that much faith in "ordinary" vets in this particular area!

:xfngr: That both dogs are feelling much better very soon indeed! :hug: :hug:

Thanks Cathryn and I agree with going to a cardiologist, it may have been a bad time to test when she is feeling bad.

How much?

Reggie & Laci both have bleeding gastroenteris right now. They have been to the vet and are on medication. She told us to give them boiled chicken and rice and I neglected to ask her how much. And do we still feed them twice a day as usual? Should we give them a half a cup? One cup? I don't want to overload their systems right now, but I also don't want to starve them. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!
Donna

My vet usually recommends small meals at room temperature (not cold) for gastroenteritis. I'm thinking maybe 1/3 cup per meal?

I'm so sorry they're ill. Hang in there! :flwr:

Thank you Cathy! I've been giving them the chicken right from the fridge. Maybe that's why they weren't getting any better. I fed them their chicken and rice for dinner about 30 minutes ago and so far, so good. No throwing up and they didn't need to run outside right after they ate. I'm sure they like the room temperature much better. Again, thank you!

I've had Loki for a year now & he's had this problem the whole time. Until now, knock on wood! About a month ago on a Sunday I had to take him to the emergency Vet for bloody, loose poo. The Vet gave him the shots, antibiotics, & probiotics. He also said to switch him to lamb and rice from chicken and rice. Since changing to the lamb & rice he has been fine for the first time in a year. His treats are even the lamb. He goes for a checkup next week. :luv:

Thank you Cathy! I've been giving them the chicken right from the fridge. Maybe that's why they weren't getting any better. I fed them their chicken and rice for dinner about 30 minutes ago and so far, so good. No throwing up and they didn't need to run outside right after they ate. I'm sure they like the room temperature much better. Again, thank you!
I'm glad it helped. Our vet told us that cold food can cause spasms in their digestive systems when they're sick.

Back