• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone else question why Cavaliers are in the toy group?

chloe92us

I've always wondered why they are classified as toys. They are the largest in the group, and in my honest and non-scientific opinion, I think only dogs that look good in tutus should be classified as a toy breed.

I have never seen a Cavalier in a tutu, dress, or the like...but if you DO dress up your dogs, why don't you post some pics and convince me otherwise?

I think a Non-sporting classification would be better suited. Opinions?

This is a very thought provoking question.
Non sporting is like a catchall for dogs that don't quite fit in any other group. I mean, they have everything from a french bulldog-- to the dalmation.

I have cavaliers that do hunt-- but who wants to carry the hunting dog home? But they aren't a sporting dog as a breed.

I think toys were suppose to be small, easier to control companion animal.

I too think is sounds funny that cavaliers are in the toy group since I don't see them as toy like. I'm not sure what other group I would put them in since most are companion dogs more then sporting.

Now for your question on do we dress up our dogs... most of my dress up is functional.

Here's some pics.

Fleece winter coat- it matches his winter boots that are such a life/walk saver.
DSCF3264.jpg

Hoodie made from one of my old sweatshirts
DSCF3265.jpg

Here's his Halloween costume
DSCF3267.jpg

Now these are just cute, I got them both at Target for less the $5

I sent a pic of this to my grandpa because he also enjoys fly fishing.
DSCF3263.jpg

And a black polo and one day we'll have a family picture taken with.
DSCF3271.jpg

but if you DO dress up your dogs, why don't you post some pics and convince me otherwise?

Oh you're going to be sooo sorry you said that!! :) When I get a minute I'll post some of my pictures. And am sure you're going to see a lot of them from others as well ;)

I never understood why our cavs are in the toy group either. I think the classification of breeds is very outdated. Now we have these "tea cup" breeds that are very small toy breeds. Cavs also do well in agility and I don't think any other toy breeds are very good at agility trials. Cavs are more lean, muscular and athletic than others in the toy group. Most of the toy group have tiny legs and kind of "trot" around (except maybe the Papillon). I'm guessing they put the Cav in the toy group because the standard King Charles Spaniel is considered a toy. But I believe that breed is smaller than the Cav.

Hmmm. We have two boys, from different breeders. Both a little over 2 YO. Neither of them is fat... but they're 22 and 25 (or more) pounds.

I think that is a very good question. At 9 kilograms there is nothing toy-like about my men. ;)

Cavs are more lean, muscular and athletic than others in the toy group. QUOTE]

LOL. I dont think i've ever met a muscular athletic cav .

I think there is only the pekingese that is physically disadvantaged because of their short bowed legs. The other breeds may be small & fluffy but they are still dogs underneath it

Angela, you've obviously never met Kate Hughes' Oliver (you'd know them from another forum). He is a large ruby, who does obedience and walks up mountains. As she says, he's very fit.

I would say my b/t is athletic

He can fetch a ball in the yard for hours. Now, my tri will just lay at my feet and watch, and my toy poodle (now at the bridge) would just never run in that "grass" stuff. If I threw a stuffed toy in the house, she would think about it long and hard before fetching, or doing anything too dog-like.

Hence my question; is a Cavalier really a "toy"????? I say not!

Angela, you've obviously never met Kate Hughes' Oliver (you'd know them from another forum). He is a large ruby, who does obedience and walks up mountains. As she says, he's very fit.

hmm you'd have to put a lot of work in to get them like that though . I would not call them a naturally athletic breed

My papillon is built like a whippet under the fur & is very fast despite not getting much exercise lately

I dont find the term toy dog insulting. To me it just means a small companion. & I dont see any reason why toy dogs should not be allowed to do the same " doggy " things as any other breed

oh & my papillon would certainly not wear a tutu or any other form of clothing. she finds it embarassing ,lol

Last edited:
Maverick seems to like to wear clothes since he will try to put his head in the coat/shirt not matter what. It's pretty cute!

I have never seen a Cavalier in a tutu, dress, or the like...but if you DO dress up your dogs, why don't you post some pics and convince me otherwise?

Uh-oh, now I'm going to have to post some pictures of Miles in some different attire. Little T hasn't had the pleasure of getting dressed up yet, but his day will come! I generally only dress them up for special occassions; birthdays, holidays, etc...or they're dressed up to keep warm...and sometimes just for my amusement! :D

Happy Halloween!
2047495426_0a341fe9de.jpg

Merry Christmas!
2068892573_a34de3fa82.jpg

Winter in Chicago...
2158829348_143beaa297.jpg

2250383135_8ea657626b.jpg

Not sure if this counts...nice snarly lips!
2368241431_3cd6a90789.jpg

I have to dress them up for a birthday celebration!
2418652869_d72db0cd1d.jpg

Many toy poodles I've met are very active and athletic -- doing tricks, etc! So I think it depends on the dog and the owner's interests. They are a terrific breed if you like doing dog activities.

I've done some agility with all my cavaliers (and have seen plenty of toy breeds doing agility and other activities too!) so again I think what you want and enjoy doing with your dogs, and are willing to put the time in in terms of training, is the dog you get. Cavaliers can be particularly good at agility as a matter of fact, as they are so food motivated and also clearly enjoy the fun of the activity. Most of the toys are smart, nimble little dogs -- that's why a lot of the toys are the ones in dog acts (poodles being the best example -- an extremely trainable, responsive breed).

Jaspar is an incredibly fit cavalier. :lol: A lot fitter than me as he easily outraces me on the agility course!

I have to say all my gang act more like springers when out on a walk. They will all take a 6 mile walk no probs.

Ellie acts like a working gundog. Not so long ago at a very big country fayre she went into a frozen stance at a stuff pheasant on a gundog stall. The owner of the stall commented that she had never seen a cav trained as a gundog. I was very quick to say she isn't but the lady replied well she should be!

Timmy is proving to be an agility star. We only started in oct 07 and we are already in the advanced class and starting to compete very soon.He moves like bullet and has beaten a couple of border collies on a run. Needless to say I am always way behind him!

So my gang are definately not what I would consider a toy dog at all.

I'm going against the grain here and saying I actually think the toy group is the perfect category for Cavaliers. I've even had several people tell me they thought Kingston was a stuffed animal when they first saw him. Yes, spaniels are sporting dogs originally but I'd say Cavaliers have perfected their role as companions.

Sasha is very sporty; I think of her as more of a spaniel than a "toy" breed. However, her small size (15 lbs) is very toy-like.

Here's a pic of Sasha as a cowgirl for Halloween (seemingly not too thrilled!):
373464743503_0_ALB.jpg

Here's one of her rooting for her favorite team... she liked wearing this, but now it's too small:
941263647403_0_ALB.jpg

When it's below 30 degrees, I usually put a sweater on her for our longer walks. She seems to like this! :)

At 22 lbs., Ruby is definitely not toyish, but I can't imagine her being in another group. My poor husband was watching Westminster on TV with me a few months ago and got all excited when the sporting group came on because of the other spaniels, and he wanted to see the Cavalier. I had to break the news to him that his precious dog was indeed considered a toy. The look on his face was classic!! I don't think it ever occurred to him that she was a toy because he generally does not like the really small dogs like chihuahuas. He wanted a boxer originally before we got Ruby, and now he says he'll never have another breed.

Back