• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are 2 really better than 1?

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know that would tear me up to lose my little Kipling. Best of wishes to both you and Millie

Thanks Carrie, It has been a real shock to us and absolutely heartbreaking - but we have to keep our spirits up for Millie. We are also faced with a similar dilemma of yours now - deciding on wheher or not to bring another into the family. It is hard to think of with it being so soon after it happened, but I think it would really cheer her up. I see the way she is when she is around other dogs, and she just lights up. So I really do feel strongly that having two pups is good for their wellbeing too...

20 months is so young. I wonder if it was technically MVD or heart valve problems due to something else? I know in younger dogs it is usually a different sort of problem but whatever the cause, the outcome is just so sad. :(

I can't live thinking about the possible heartbreak years down the road-- life isn't that concrete anyway. IF cavaliers lived to be ONLY *5* years of age--- I would give that dog the best darn 5 years and cherish every moment.

I totally agree. I can't bear to think of losing any of them though, and especially Jaspar; I know people who eventually reach the point where they won't have any more dogs or cats because they can't stand the heartache of losing them. At the same time I am happy to take whatever time I can with mine and I think you just never know how things will turn out. I do think as a general rule it is good not to end up with a lot of dogs close in age though because, all else being equal and assuming they do have a fairly normal lifespan, it is I think more difficult to have a lot of oldies all at once and can be financially punishing too. For some this won;t mater but it is worth keeping in mind.

Well, we allowed our vet to carry out a post mortem (as we were worried incase our other dog might be at risk) to determine what happened. It was so sudden it was frightening. We were out for our walk at 8.30 am, he was sitting in the window watching the birds at 10am and by 11am I was holding him in my arms lifeless. Absolultely devastating, and hit us like a bolt.
When we collected his ashes last week, I was a bit more composed then when it happened and was just about able to ask some questions. He said he had MVD, but that his heart and muscles had become very enlarged. The muscle in one of the ventricles in the right chamber was so enlarged just stopped letting the flow of blood through. I have read since that MVD can cause enlargement of the heart, as the heart has to pump harder to get the flow of blood through.
All of the above said, I would never in a million years swap all the heartache and pain for having him for those few months. He was so full of love and just a pure joy to have. Even if I had been foretold of what was to come, I would not have swapped him for the world. I'm just glad he was ours for his short time here, and he lived his short life to the absolute fullest!

Raising two puppies at once can be quite a challenge. Here is a thread with some explanation:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10549

Colin and I raised two puppies at the same time, and it does take lots of work and dedication to train and socialize them. It is actually at least twice the work of one, yet I don't regret it because we shared the load equally.

I'm so sorry to read of your tragic loss, so very young too :(. You must be heartbroken.

I'm not sure if I'd like to take have 2 pups as once, but that's just me :). I have 4 oldies, which brings its own problems.

Back