• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

BBC news - related to forthcoming docu...

my husband and i watched this programme last night, we couldn't believe the woman who bred from her dog, even though he has SM. Crazy. we also found it upsetting about the boxer dog who had epilepsy (clearly in pain) , and the woman who had the cavalier with SM and she was out taking it for a walk, i struggle to understand people who put their animals through this when they are clearly suffering, i think at some point you have to do what's best for the animal, not yourself.

it makes you wonder how many breeders put dogs to sleep if they are not "perfect", such as the ridgeback. nearly the whole programme was on cavaliers though, which shows how poorly these dogs can be.

A friend of mine living close by has a young Cavalier, a Tri bitch, sired by that affected winning dog at Malvern...little Dixie has now been MRI scanned and found to be affected with SM :( she depends on her steroids daily to keep her comfortable.
The lady that owns her is elderly and has found this emotionally hard to cope with, sadly there is no insurance in place either causing some possible financial upset in the future....Dixie was showing signs at 8 months. There is a litter sister living close by as well, showing all signs of SM but as of today is still unscanned. Again living with an elderly owner that cannot afford the MRI.

Perhaps the owner of this stud dog might like to pick up some of the vet bills relating to SM? especially for those owners that have pups that were born after her dogs MRI scan...it's just disgusting and totally irresponsible behaviour to knowingly use your dog at stud when affected with SM don't you think?.

I mean 30+ stud fees at possibly £500 a time= £15.000! thats a lot of money.

Alison.

Surely Alison, after last nights revelations :eek: that woman can be sued ???
She has to be held accountable for what she has done.

. Again living with an elderly owner that cannot afford the MRI.

I was told by my vet today there is a research program near me, which offers MRI scans to dogs who qualify for free. I can't remember the name of the town but it's 45 mins from me and I'm in Essex near Southend. She said it's up the M25.

That's Carol Fowler; she is a member of the board. :)

I thought she was wonderful. You could just tell how much she loves Cavaliers. I loved the picture of her with her first dog who died when she was five from SM. Such a loving picture.

I was so mad at the woman who, when asked about SM, said "all dogs scratch" :mad:

but lets not forget that as well as the terrible condition of SM, there is also "dry eye/curly coat" which is not very well known about by vets or most people. my daisy had this horrible condition and only lived for a year (15 September will be a year since we had her put to sleep). She couldn't eat properly, had eye infections, ear infections, and was on a lot of medication, had holes in her feet and her claws fell out making her unable to walk, and that is just a few of the symptoms. it makes me so angry that the breeder where we got her from is still advertising that she has puppies for sale. some days i want to go and stand outside her house and tell people not to buy from her. Our 2 cavaliers now (from a different breeder), Bluebell and Lottie are in good health but who knows for the future. i miss daisy every day and still get upset now, and in truth once i have lost Bluebell and Lottie i don't think we will get another cavalier again.

Dry eye/curly coat is especially devastating as dogs rarely are able to live very long with it and it is so uncomfortable for the dog after a time. This is an entirely genetically induced disease associated only with cavaliers in this combination. And breeding dogs known to produce it spread those genes as well far and wide through the breed. *This is why pet owners should NOT be ever, ever breeding their dogs, even if they think they have a 'perfect specimen'*. That perfectly healthy cavalier could carry the genes for any of these conditions and can throw puppies with them -- knowing lines, doing the tests and understanding genetics thoroughly are the necessary combination for healthy breeding.

What amazes me is the continuous line from certain breeders (and last night, the head of the Kennel Club himself) that they pay no attention to the scientists on line breeding and genetic issues as they, the breeders, have all the expertise and know better. Yet look at the state of most breeds! Most only have the narrow vision of a generation of breeding; most think their breed is as it always 'traditionally' was. Yet look at any pictures of any breed going back a few decades, including cavaliers, and you can see changes. Breeding decisions today affect puppies that people will own 50 years from now. Sadly some poor genes were selected for in the cavalier hence we are burdened with MVD and SM in the breed. If EFS and Curly Coat become more common -- as it already seems they are -- how can this breed possibly survive?

Back