• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Begging and Jumping

Mom2Lola

Lola has started to jump up while we are eating at the table. We have never fed her from the table and she eats her food in the same spot for every meal. How do I handle this? It's very annoying and I would like to put a stop to it while she is still young.

Crate her or put her in a puppy pen. The best way of stopping unwanted behaviours is removing the possibility for it to happen. If she is crated or penned with a Kong for herself then that means she can't jump up on people while they are eating. (y)

A cavalier that didn't beg would be a bit boring I think. In over 20 years I can't honestly say I've ever had a cavalier that didn't beg and jump at the table.

Rosie who is 17 weeks old, will perform her extensive library of tricks in random order while you eat. Quite funny to watch as she will lie down, roll over, sit on her hind legs with both paws in the air all in a completely random order. She also does high five, so if you hold out your palm she will hit it with both paws. She can draw quite a crowd when we eat out at a pub :)

I would say the crate. We called Pixie a table shark. She would weave around watching for bits to hit the floor and you could feel her brush against your legs, but she never was obnoxious about it. If she had been a pain, I probably would have crated her, or maybe given her a kong in her bed so she would learn that our mealtime meant a nice treat for her in her bed.

Rosie who is 17 weeks old, will perform her extensive library of tricks in random order while you eat.

What a character!!! I could just see Rosie running through her arsenal of tricks trying to figure out which one will get her a treat.

My guys sit on the couch when we eat. They can see us but they aren't allowed off the couch until we're done. We get some major entertainment looking at those sad puppy dog eyes while we eat. Jake gets this incredibly stupid look on his face (I mean that in a loving way!! ;)), blank eyes and open mouth, that really cracks us up.

We think she learnt it from my brothers Cocker Monty who is a couple of months older as he does the exactly the same thing.

In my house it's the opposite, my cavalier taught my brothers Cocker to beg!:eek:

Even though my one is now blind she still begs when you have food. She may not be looking in the right direction but god love her she still try. :cool:

A cavalier that didn't beg would be a bit boring I think. In over 20 years I can't honestly say I've ever had a cavalier that didn't beg and jump at the table.

Rosie who is 17 weeks old, will perform her extensive library of tricks in random order while you eat. Quite funny to watch as she will lie down, roll over, sit on her hind legs with both paws in the air all in a completely random order. She also does high five, so if you hold out your palm she will hit it with both paws. She can draw quite a crowd when we eat out at a pub :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I crate my dogs when there is food about. There is nothing worse than trying to eat and being watched by 2 pair of beady eyes!
Ive did this from day 1 with both of mine. Its a pet hate of mine as my mum allows her dog to beg and lick plates:eek: etc..... and it drives me crazy.I have had some comments from friends saying how well mannered my dogs are as theirs jump and beg.:rah:
Totally bad manners! I dnt allow my children to be like this so neither are the dogs allowed to.
It allows us to have family meals together,or have some friends over without the embarrasment of my dogs begging for food.

If our dinner time clashes with the dogs they get their food at the same time.:luv:
I found the kindest thing is to crate them and pop a wee treat in their crate to distract them when I first got them and it allowed us to eat in peace.

Hope that helps :flwr:

My two cavaliers don't beg but... my beagle, Lucy, she is an expert! She sits by the table and gives us that "Give the dog your food" look, like the scene on "Underdog" when the beagle says that to his master. ;)

Many years ago our very first cavalier jumped onto the kitchen table when nobody was looking and wolfed down an entire roast chicken dinner that was plated up for my Dad. The plate was completely licked clean. Never underestimate how high a cavalier can jump. :)

I have taught me Basenji Saba so go into the crate when i am serving dinner. I call out to the girls to come and get there meal and that is the "trigger" word for him to run to his crate he is very good at that. Our newest puppy (Ochre) is learning that too. My advice keep a crate out yell out something as a trigger word such as "Dinner" or "Tea time" and teach her/him to run to the crate!!!

Rajacadoo

Last edited:
Sammy the Food Hound!

Yes, what would a Cavalier be if she or he didn't beg for food! Indeed, our (no so little) Sammy has such a high food drive that we have had to gate off the kitchen! He exists under the distinct impression that all food brought into the house is expressly HIS! Our normally rather docile and submissive Sammy turns into a track star in full competitive force when any hint of "people food" is suggested! And watch out if there is sushi involved! It's no holds barred then!

But really aside from treating the kitchen like Fort Knox we have been ok. Although... now that I think about it, I think I've seen him watching some prison break films recently. Hmmm, maybe I need to remove the filing tools from his toy box just to be safe.

:jump:

Back