• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bittersweet-Update Our Baby Comes Home in a Month

How about an OLDER DOG?

I can understand your misgivings. Both Babies and Cavalier puppies are "spendy."

How about a RESCUE...an older dog....?

Not being involved in Rescue, I don't know if this would be okay.

But what if the rescue is accustomed to children, and is an older dog. There'd be no training to speak of and the expense (of a puppy) would be reduced.

Hugs,
Dorothy

Well its official...I have a little Peanut on the way

Thanks again to everyone for their well wishes. This begins a new journey. I will be calling my breeder this weekend to talk to her about this unexpected change and go from there. Though my hubby seems to think we can still get a pup I still have a few worries (money being a huge one for now) but I will talk to my breeder and see what she thinks. She might not want me having one of her pups now or she might rec an older dog so I guess Ill have to see. I will keep you all updated if you wish Thanks again

Jasmine

Congratulations Jasmine. I'm so happy for you. I wish you all the joy this new bundle can bring. Congratulations to your husband too.

Hope you pop in from time to time. I'll be interested in your interpreting experience.

Take care, God Bless, and Good Luck!

Hi all. So I need some advice. I found out yesterday that we do have a peanut in the oven so I called my breeder today to tell her the news. She asked what my thoughts were on a puppy and I thought perhaps it would be a bit overwhelming for us at the time. She said if I was really serious about still wanting a Cavy (I am) her friend had a 6 month old tri girl she was trying to place and she was a wonderful sweet dog. I contacted my breeder's friend (another breeder) and we spoke about her girl ( I think her name is Livy or Libby ) She will be a year on July and she said she is a beautiful sweet girl with all her shots. Coincidently I met this breeder at the York show in Nov when I went so she did have a chance to meet me and hubby and she remembers us well. We talked and this doggie does seem like it would it well with us. She is already house trained and will be over a year old by the time my baby arrives. My breeder had said if we wanted a doggie to get her now so she has time to adjust and will be all set for when the baby comes. I dont think it would be hard for me juggle a 1 year old dog and a baby at the same time. Also this breeder happens to be a full time outside of the home worker so she trains her dogs to be adjusted to someone being out of the house which works for hubby and me. Lastly my husband is a teacher so he will be home June on and right when he goes back to work I will probably give birth and be at home so the dog will have someone with it again. My husband seems to be all for this plan. The price is what you expect to pay for a Cavy but he seems to think we can do it and it would be good to have a dog before the baby so we can get use to being responsible for a living creature and so our child can have a dog around while its growing up so it wont be allergic or afraid of them. So do we do it and get our first Cavy?

I think you should so GO FOR IT! We got our lab at exactly 6mths! I had always had dogs and spent 2 winters looking after my old lab (my parents) when they went away. Having a dog in the house for 2mths each winter put the bug back in me.. I wanted a dog! But my kids were little and the thought of a puppy having the same issues as my young children was scaring me and my husband. Then we found this sweet lab that had been locked away in a spare bedroom because the owner (a widow) didnt know how to train her and got scared so she just put her in a spare room!! Not even house trained! The breeder took her back for 2mths, kept her in her house with a crate right beside our dogs Mommy! When we got her 2mths later at 6mths she was totally house trained like this tri would be and still young enough to fall in love with us and us her! Looking back, it was the right choice for me at the time.

Since our dog lived 15 great yrs, my new little cav girl will be the first dog I have had right from a puppy, so yes I am excited - but also a little nervous about training from scratch myself for the first time!

I know lots of people that get puppies before or with a baby, its a personal thing - whether you think you can handle it all. For me i knew i couldnt and getting the 6mth trained but still young enough to enjoy the early first yr was a fantastic opportunity that led to 15 yrs of devoted doggie love for all!

My vote for it is to CALL NOW! DO IT!

That sounds like a much more doable option, much more comfortable. You sound a lot more comfortable with this idea.

And, you have the benefit of immediate gratification! You get your dog right away! :D

It's way easier to have a one year old dog than a new puppy. A year old dog, even a cavalier, doesn't need the amount of attention that a puppy does. Puppies need it both for emotional and social reasons. A year old dog (when the baby is born) is a whole different ball game. Of course they need lots of love, but their needs are not as urgent and are more flexible.

Another positive thing about getting a 6 mo. to 1 year old dog is that you will pretty much know what's going on health-wise, whereas with a new puppy, things aren't as clear or stable. Since Libby/Livy has been with her breeder her whole life, with the same vet, on the same food, you have more of a health history than if you'd gotten a puppy. You might want to look into dog health insurance, or a savings account just for health care reasons, that could relieve some of your anxiety about potential expenses that could hit you unexpectedly.

Libby/Livvy will need lots and lots of support in adjusting to the move to a new home. I'm quite sure dogs experience grief from loss of social bonds, both with other animals and humans. If she loves other dogs, hopefully you can find opportunities for her to play with other dogs.

It sounds like a plus that she is used to having her person be out of the home during the day, since you both work. Hopefully one of you at least could come home and play with her mid day, especially if she's used to other animals being with her during the day. My daughter/bf got a cat for their cavalier Belle and they say this has greatly helped, Belle and the cat love each other and play and sleep next to each other. They're not able to come home during the day.

If you become comfortable with this option, explore all your doubts and answer all your questions in ways that you feel reassured, it sounds wonderful! Some of the things that would've made me most reluctant to get a dog when my daughter was a baby are eliminated by the dog being a year old by the time the baby comes. Has she been spayed? you would want to get that out of the way, if she hasn't.

The older dog sounds a really good fit for you at this time. In the Library I have a whole set of posts about cavaliers and babies, and about taking on a cavalier puppy if you have toddlers or a baby.

A puppy will essentially be another baby and WILL need a lot of time and attention. Whether that is too much really depends on the people involved. I think I would have found it very difficult to manage a puppy and a newborn at the same time. Even a puppy and a toddler. But that is me! :lol: An older dog that gets some time to settle in is a very different thing. You don't need to be constantly on the watch, trying to housetrain etc.

Personally, I think many find puppies are not an experience they want to repeat anyway because they are so intently time consuming -- an awful lot of my friends (and people on this board!) seem to get an older dog when they go for a second.

I really enjoyed having Jaspar as a pup (8.5 weeks) onward and puppies are very cute and delightful in so many ways -- but I really did not have a relatively normal life back til he reached around 6-8 months. It was hard work and long hours and a full time commitment, just like a small child or baby. Rewarding too, but my next two were very deliberately near adult or adult dogs.

I might at some future point have a puppy again -- but not in the foreseeable future, as attractive as they always are.

If anyone has any doubts at all about opting for a puppy, I'd always recommend considering an adult. :) Very often, the word I get back is, the people are so thankful they were urged to get an adult as it is the perfect dog for them and they now realise how much work a puppy would have been. So it is all about making sure the fit is right as different people have different desires and interests and are at different points in their lives. :)

PS -- The cavalier Boomer that I just rehomed -- Dunboyne pound cavalier -- is a a perfect example. Family were leaning towards a puppy for the 9 year old and there were two grannies in the house. I talked with them about an adult too, as perhaps a better option -- hard perhaps for two older folks to have puppy duty. They are so very happy with Boomer who is a much better fit with the older folks; and little daughter is thrilled to have her grown up dog she can already take on walks and play with. :wggle:

We got both of ours at 16 weeks and we both work full time. Of course, we do make it home during th day at least once but we found this to be the only and best option for us. 4 months compared to two months is huge!! 6 months would make it, IMO, easier on you. And at 6 months there is still A LOT of puppy in a cav. You won't miss out on all of puppyhood and it sounds like a great situation for your new family.

I can sure agree with that: 4 months is a much more mature puppy than 2 months... 6 months is just where you are getting to work with a dog that is puppy in appearance but a lot more adult in behaviour. :)

Jasmine, I would have to vote yes do it on this. It sounds like you and your husband are willing to give a dog a good home and have thought about all the responsibility and cost that comes along with it. If you have done the math and it is doable, why not then? Please keep us updated! :flwr:

I would say Yes to I had a 13 week old puppy and it can be hard work when I had Sam he fitted in right away so at 6 mouths old you get a dog that is house trained and you can work on all the others things that a dog needs to know go for it ----Aileen
PS if you do must see loads of photos

We got our first Cavy baby :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice and support as I was going through this difficult period. I called the breeder this morning and said if she would have us we would love to give her beautiful Libby (short for Liberty) a home and she said of course. I am over the moon excited to be getting my first Cavalier and I couldnt have done it without all the support, friendship, and love I have received from this board. I cant thank you all enough I am on cloud 9 right now as I type this. We will be picking her up in a month and I will be counting the days till then. We still need to buy stuff for her too! So excited. I will hopefully have pics in a few days to show you,. Thanks so much again everyone!!!!

Jasmine

I think its fantastic for you and Libby. You guys plus Claire and Penny, have made this a record breaking weekend on Cavalier Talk for dream come true stories!

:jump: :w*w: So pleased to hear your good news now we can all look forward to your cavalier and then your baby :lotsaluv: ---Aileen

:mexwav: I am soooooooooooooo pleased for you :mexwav:

Why don't you take advantage of the sale on

http://www.barksandcatsco.com/

Sara also posted that if you put SALE in the bottom left box (coupon code box on page 1) you will also get 10% off sale prices :flwr:

Congratulations!! You're going to be getting 2 new best friends within the next year!! A woman could never be happier, could she? I am glad you chose liberty - I am sure she is absolutely a beautiful girl. I am excited to have you hang around more Jasmine and I'm so glad everything is working out for you. Pictures pictures pictures when you get them please!! :) :) :)

Congratulations on the pregnancy first of all! :flwr:

And, it's AMAZING that you were able to make your dream come true and finally get a cavalier! that is soooo wonderful! I am so happy for you. :)

This is going to be a wonderful year for you! :flwr:

Back