• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bladder Infection

SamT

Hi,
Poor Charlie is in the vet again overnight for a few days. He had a bladder/kidney infection a few weeks ago, he was on anti biotics for 2 weeks (ended last tuesday) and on saturday I saw signs again of the infection (he couldnt wee eventhough he was trying and trying). We brought his to the emergency vet who emptied his bladder and gave him two injections. We brought him back to our usual vet on Monday morning and he kept him in. He has sent his urine off to be tested, hopefully he will get the results tomorrow. He has recommended a full scan too.

We miss him so much at the moment, he sits up on our knee in the evening when we are watching tv and sleeps, our other dog keeps looking around the house for him and just sleeps all day.

I have read a few posts on bladder injections and allot of them are girls. Any ideas on the causes or could it be the sign of something worse? Please god hopefully not.

Emma

no advice just alot of good thoughts, i know what its like for me when Peaches isnt about.

Emma, I am sorry I don't have any advice, but wanted to say that I hope Charlie will be over this soon and that the problem isn't something more complicated. You are wise to jump straight on the problem and try to pin down the problem. Please keep us posted.

Oh I hope you find the answer to why this is happening to the poor little one.....know what its like when they have to stay in hospital. Wishing a speedy recovery and that charlie is soon back home with you and his family :lotsaluv:

Any news yet? Try not to worry too much,it could be something as simple as the antibiotics just not able to kill off the bacteria causing the infection.If the urine sample is sent away they can identify the type of bacteria and do a sensitivity test and tell your vet which antibiotic best kills the bacteria.
It could be any number of things such as urinary calculi(stones) but your vet seems to be dealing with your boy very well and hopefully will have answers for you.
Sins

Wow, Emma, your puppy should be able to pee in spite of a bladder infection!

I would humbly suggest to take an X-ray to see if there are any bladder stones...

You can read more on those on my web site, where you can also subscribe to my (free) newsletter :- )

drphilzeltzman
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the replys.
Charlie is home and is in great form. He is on anti biotics for 20 days. His urine tests were clear so no sign of an infection which is strange. The vet did a few x rays and found nothing. He suggested an ultra sound. We have him booked in for one the week after next so please god they will find out what is causing the problem. The vet said he wasnt blocked but he was unable to wee and there was blood in his bladder/urine. We have to keep a close eye on him just in case he gets blocked again. Our vet is open every day so at least we can run him down if need be.

Hi Everyone,
Charlie had his scan and tests on Monday. The vet was very pleased with what he saw, no stones, cloths or obstruction and he does not require surgery. :) He did say that there was inflamation which would be from an infection, possibly when he was very young (before we got him possibly). He said his bladder is a third of the size it should be but this should expand over the next two months. Charlie was a bit sleepy for a few days but he is back to being the boss of the house again ha ha. He is on anti biotics for another 3 weeks and then we have to get his urine tested again but please god he will be fine.

He is shaved underneath so he looks a bit funny the poor baby!!!

He also had a baby tooth that never fell out so the vet took this out while he was under. He really has been through the wars!!

picture.php

Poor little guy has been through the wringer. Glad to hear everything is looking good though.

Back