• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CKC at home while we work-Advice pls

Sandy I work full time as does my partner, and both our dogs are housetrained, socialized and bonded with us. It has nothing to do with being home 8+ hours a day with them, it has to do with being commited--establishing a routine/schedule, and using resources--a dog walker, doggy daycare, taking them to training, etc. It seems as though you're implying that owners that work have ill-adjusted dogs. That's a huge assumption to make and one that I find offensive.

If you are offended by what I said-- you are being WAAAYYY too sensitive. MY POINT WAS
She wants to get a PUPPY. AND be gone for 10.5 hours a day. IMAGINE the possibilities.

I have never assumed that ALL full time workers that are owners of dogs were ill trained, unhappy, or ill adjusted. THE POSSIBILITY IS THERE-- I've had to deal with the bad choices others have made.

Would you suggest WoodHave that I have my pup properly house trained and then it would be ok to leave him/her on her own?

Its reassuring to hear Gracie's Mom, Jen, Kelly and tsorningold say that what I hope to do is not unusual or cruel.

I would assume just like you guys have said that the pup would get into a routine and quite enjoy both the company time and lone time?

An older pup or a young dog that is housebroken is much easier to leave for longer periods of time. An eight week old pup would have to be taken out every couple of hours. That would probably be difficult to do (I don't know in your case- I work 10 minutes from home). Some people have had success in litterbox training (but I can't stand the mess the pups make with the litter and dust).
I don't want to disuade you from a cavalier-- they are the best dogs (I've had many breeds) lol. If you are fully dedicated (doggie daycare, a walker - a friends house for some time) it could work. But much like having a child-- you've got to plan and think longer term.

If you are offended by what I said-- you are being WAAAYYY too sensitive. MY POINT WAS
She wants to get a PUPPY. AND be gone for 10.5 hours a day. IMAGINE the possibilities.

I have never assumed that ALL full time workers that are owners of dogs were ill trained, unhappy, or ill adjusted. THE POSSIBILITY IS THERE-- I've had to deal with the bad choices others have made.

I edited my post earlier to better get my point across--that just because someone is home all day doesn't make them a better owner. The possibility is also there for an ill-adjusted dog whose owner is home all day. I think this is a sensitive subject to a lot of us who work, because I personally know of people who have been denied pups from breeders who refuse to see that a dog can have a happy well-adjusted life regardless if the owner is home with them all day or not. I would like to think that someone who is doing their homework and looking for opinions PRIOR to getting a pup is probably going to be a good owner, regardless if that person is home all day or not.

I really agree with Jen's post -- this is not an ideal situation for a dog, but I too as someone who places rescue cavaliers, would rather see a dog in a great home that *takes the initiatives to care for a dog while at work* rather than have it in a home with people around all day who leave it in the garden, for example. I have seen some great working homes that accommodate themselves to the dog; and some terrible stay-at-home homes for cavaliers where the dog is totally neglected.

I am deeply disappointed that the Purina site actually suggests a cavalier as a breed that TOLERATES being left alone though as this is, to be honest, shockingly off the mark for this breed in particular. Like bichons, it is a breed well known for suffering from separation anxiety and which does NOT do well all alone all day, several days a week. They have hundreds of years of genetic engineering to make them bond tightly with their owners and want to be phsyically close to them (because one serious role for them was as a lapdog -- literally, a lap warmer in drafty unheated homes for hundreds of years past). They really need some sort of arrangements made along the lines Jen suggests: a daily walker, a stay in daycare, or family arranging to come home midday.

I would also say in totla agreement with Sandy, that you'd be MUCH better off getting an adult or puppy over 6 months of age. A puppy needs someone working to housetrain at least once every 2-3 hours for the first 5-6 months. It is very hard developmentally and psychologically on a puppy to be alone for 10.5 hours a day --that is just way, way too long. Even an adult dog would need to be taken out at least once and ideally twice if it is left alone for nearly 11 hours a day.

This is a well know dog review site that actually has RELIABLE pros and cons onbreeds and you will note top of the list is separation anxiety.

http://yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/cavalierkingcharlesspaniels.html

This all doesn't mean you shouldn't get a cavalier -- but it does mean you should carefully review how you are going to manage this (you really can't just have a neighbour pop in now and then to look in -- you will need consistent work to housetrain then quality time for a walk and human interaction every single day as you are talking about a particularly long stretch alone for a dog). I also always suggest that people who are away for such long hours consider whether a dog is appropriate to their lifestyle at the present time. Dogs are extremely social animals and as Sandy (Woodhaven) notes -- lots of problem cavaliers come into rescue because they are left alone too long every day and don't have enough interaction. The number one reason I get cavaliers into rescue is "we work and he needs more attention than we can give him". Cats are far more suitable to long working hours but even then I'd always recommend getting two so they have companionship.

The difficult fact is, our lifestyles have changed considerably since many of us grew up and had dogs around with a stay at home parent and all the kids at home after school. These days both people work, kids all go off to planned activities, and dogs can lead very sad and unstimulating lives because they are the wrong animal to bring in as a family pet. people usually realise this too late and the dog ends up at the pound (usually) or sometimes with rescue. But it remains the top reason dogs go to the pound -- 'we work and don't have time for him'. It is very very important to be sure you have the time and financial commitment to realise you will need to address your dog's social needs every day for the next decade -- which means paying for daycare, paying for someone to come in daily, or rearranging personal schedules to accommodate the dog's needs. Sometimes on reflection people find it may be better to wait on having a dog til job schedules are not quite so demanding or they live closer to home making daily trips home at lunch a norm.

From personal experience, after the initial few weeks it all just falls into place. Granted housetraining will take a little longer but Chester has managed it. At first he used the puppy training pads and even now I put one down just in case, but he hasnt used it for months now. In fact, I think he uses it as a mat to dry his feet!

I take Chester for a 10-15 min walk in the morning and again at lunchtime. If he doesnt get a walk at lunchtime then we play ball in the garden. In the evening he gets a good 40 min walk, mostly off leash, and run of the house. He also goes to Puppy Class on a Thurs night.

It's one of those questions that will always get a split answer, just like having children & putting them in childcare all week. At the end of the day, if you want a puppy & feel you are 100% ready, who are any of us to tell you what's right or wrong.

I love my furbaby more than I ever thought I could and wouldnt be without him and I am pretty sure if he could talk he'd say how much he adores us but am pretty sure he'd also say how much he likes it when we go to work so he can finally get some peace & quiet and do what dogs do best..... eat & sleep!

Well said, Kelly! LOL, too! I've learned to not worry about Gracie at all in the mornings. Even when we are home, she runs back up to her crate to sleep from 9-12 on weekdays. I agree, to some extent, she must look forward to her peaceful/quiet mornings!

Karlin...excellent points, as always!

My husband and I both work full time, but until this week we've worked varying schedules. I work 8:30-5:30 and he worked 11-8. I would come home at lunch time and she we take her to doggie daycare once a week. Starting next week, he'll work 8-4 or 5 5 days a week. So, I will still come home for lunch and she'll be in doggie daycare twice a week. We play with her lots in the evening, take her to play groups, training classes, etc.

I agree with Jen...more people work out of home than in the home. And, you can still take care of your dog and be a wonderful dog mom even while working. However, leaving the dog home 8-6 five days a week is definitely not ideal or recommended. I would suggest that you look into pet sitters, dog walkers or doggie daycare...the neighbor popping in is a great start!
I think you have pretty much nailed it on the head. It can work but you have to be willing to go the extra mile like you do - home a lunch, dog walker and lots of attention at night to train it to be a confident socialized pup. I have owned labs all my life - and what they say about a cavalier needing the one on one more is true. It is not the same as other breeds - they thrive and need that extra. A dog walker/daycare will be needed - its an expense or arrangement with a friend/relative that needs addressing.

Most UK rescues and all the cavalier breeders, that I know, will not let a puppy go to a home where it is likely to be left for a long time. Some rescues won't let any dog go to a home where it will be left alone, whereas others suggest an older dog, who is happy to snooze the day away.

I have three cavaliers (four until recently) but wouldn't dream of leaving them for more than 4 hours and most times they're left up to 2 hours only. Howver I had a couple of springers, then a collie cross, when I was working full time, but my father lived in the next road and always collected them at about 9am and kept them until we got home.

I really think it depends on your level of comittment to your dogs. Both Avi and I work during the day - we don't work 8 hrs because of the dogs but we do work. I go back to school in Sept so it's just temporary but I can guarantee you my dogs are well behaved. It's because I put in the work with them.. I wake up really early to walk/feed/play with them, they sleep with us, I take them to the park after work for about an hr.. then we go on a little walk.. in for dinner.. down to the basement to play with toys, etc. We have a blast together. On the weekends I have taken them to classes and I generally spend my weekends with them and only them.. .. Kosmo is a certified therapy dog now and Faith is on her way up. They do great even with us working. ;) Good lucK!

As someone who works full time, as well as sorts through hundreds of applications for Cavalier rescue, I can attest that it is possible to work full time and own a cavalier. I own 3 cavies + a shih tzu and they are completely used to our weekday routine. We wake up, romp and play for about an hour in the back yard or inside, and when I say "kitchen up" they all go running into their beds in the kitchen and get a cookie. They are just fine with each other, toys and some soft music. While the pups were little, we would come home for lunch and potty them, but now that they are older they do just fine during the day. I work from 7:30am-4pm and most of the time they are asleep when I come home. What is important is that they are not crated all day, but have a tiled room to themselves that is safe for them to be in alone. After work is all about them.

Rescue has placed dozens of dogs in working homes, as long as they are willing to commit. Too many times we get dogs into rescue because of "time issues" and it basically that interprets to people not wanting to put in the extra work. But I will never put aside an application that it otherwise PERFECT because the people work all day.

My fiancee and I had to make major adjustments in order to compensate time for training, snuggles and play time and it often means while at social gathering we have to say "we have to leave because of the dogs" (which is a grerat excuse, btw ;) ). Each dog gets their one on one time and that is truly important.

Like someone said before this is always a sensative subject as so many of us have to work full time just to get by. When I first started looking at breeders many wouldnt sell to my husband and I simply because we both worked out of the house. One breeder I spoke to told me flat out she would never sell a dog to me because of that. Talk about rejection! Well I continued to talk to her and even went to visit and after all the time and effort I put in trying to show her that even though we wouldnt be home 24/7 the time we were home our pup we be spoiled and loved the the fullest she told me she would happily sell us a dog whenever we wanted. I was tickled pink but in the end we didnt buy a dog from her simply due to timing nothing else.

My husband and I both work out of the home though my husband is a teacher and thus is home earlier then most people and has a lot more time off then others (I am working toward getting into education myself right now) Originally when we were planning on getting a puppy we were planning on waiting til the summertime so that he could be home with the puppy. Life changed on us and we ended up getting a 6 month old pup instead and everything worked out wonderfully. In fact the breeder we got Ellie from is a full time out of the house worker as well and all 7 of her dogs stay crated during the day while she and her husband work but they do have a dog walker come by to check on the dogs twice a day as well. That part was a bonus for us as Ellie was use to staying in her crate during the day anyway. As a note though I do also have 3 cats so she isnt alone alone though she is in her crate and the cats have free range of the house.

With that said I agree that if you do get a puppy you will definitly need to make arrangements with a neighbor or a do walker as a puppy will need to be let out a lot more then a regular dog. If you can arrange for someone to come home and let him out or come home during your lunch that would work. Another thought is getting an older dog. When we got Ellie she was 6 months old and fully housetrained so thats an option you should keep open as well. Also whenever you get the pup you should try to do it over a long weekend or try to take off from work to help it get adjusted a little first.

In the end I agree with most posters here who simply said that if you are willing to put the time and effort and make arrangements when necessary a Cavalier can adjust to your routine and be a happy well socialized dog. Good luck!

if you guys are at work how about a cat,they are more independant.

Most people who want to share their life with a dog want companionship, some are single and/or elderly and they want a friend to spend the day walking with, to take to the countryside on holiday, to develop an interest and bond with such as training, agility or showing. I doubt very much that an independent cat will ever fill this role.

That said, of course it's important to consider the dogs needs and there must be robust plans in place to cater for these.

My O/H and I work full-time as well, Murphy is now just over a year old, it was a tough year at some points, but I'd do it all again in a flash:smile:

We got him at 8 weeks, and stayed off with him for 2 weeks, he needed out every 1hr to 1hr & a half, when we went back to work we used puppy pads. O/H works 8 till 4, and I work 8.30 till 4.30, one of us came(and still comes) home for lunch, if we couldn't make it his Mum or Dad did. If I have free time at work I nip home too.

It did take longer to house-train Murphy, and he destroyed the kitchen lino:rolleyes: obviously didn't like it cause it was green:lol:, and chewed the door frame, 1 kitchen cupboard, the wood at the stairs and my new super-king bed. He peed on the duvet 4 or 5 times, even though I replaced it each time he did it. He also pooped at the bottom of the stairs from about 6 months on, it took us ages to stop him. We learned not to let small puppies out of your sight

He doesn't toilet in the house now, but my point is any puppy is hard work, when your working it's even harder, but as I said I'd do it again:D

He now knows his routine, when I put my jacket on in the morning he goes to his bed in the kitchen, and waits for his biscuit:lol: He sleeps most of the day, even when we're off, and at night it's playtime ALL night, except of course when it's time for cuddles:luv: And when it time for bed, well Murphy's normally 1st on to it, he even puts his head on the O/H pillow.

We make sure Murphy gets lots of exercise, and attention, he's stopped chewing the wood now too

It did take longer to house-train Murphy, and he destroyed the kitchen lino:rolleyes: obviously didn't like it cause it was green:lol:, and chewed the door frame, 1 kitchen cupboard, the wood at the stairs and my new super-king bed. He peed on the duvet 4 or 5 times, even though I replaced it each time he did it. He also pooped at the bottom of the stairs from about 6 months on, it took us ages to stop him. We learned not to let small puppies out of your sight
And knowing all that (as pet owners we all have puppy trial stories similar), I still opted to "have all this fun again" after our lab was gone, because I know the extra work will be worth it with many yrs paid back in love!

And knowing all that (as pet owners we all have puppy trial stories similar), I still opted to "have all this fun again" after our lab was gone, because I know the extra work will be worth it with many yrs paid back in love!

Yea, and you know why else cause nothing beats a Cavi cuddle when you come in from a s**t day:l*v:

Hmmm...shall I get involved in this? No one bite my head off ok! Um...No one can deny its' better to be at home with your dog. You can't say some dogs whose owners are at home all day can neglect their dogs. This is a different issue. Anyone can neglect a dog, working or not. The issue is a lonely dog and house training.

If you have to work and still want a dog, I think you have to get good day care. I don't think half an hour at lunch time is enough. I took Dylan out for his toilet every 20 minutes and this helped me train him in 4 weeks. Can you take a month off work?

This weekend I had to stay home as my doggy sitter let me down and I had big plans. Dylan is 7 months old but I don't think it's OK to leave him all day. I do go out however! 4 hours would be my occasional maximum or I usually take Dylan with me.

I personally wouldn't get a dog if I was working full time but if you do, I'd say day care is they way to go. :D

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think that maybe an older pup (even a four month old pup is easier than a 8 week old) or a rescue would be better for your situation. Especially if you've never done it before- you don't realise just how much is involved until you do it. Perhaps you'll be lucky- maybe your elderly neighbour will fall in love with the pup to the extent that she will be willing to spend a substantial amount of time with it during the day- that would be ideal, really. The other thing is that if you get an older pup and then decide to get a second dog, the wait should not be as long- although again, that depends on training more than the age of the original dog. Mine have only very rarely been left for 6 hours- generally the maximum they're left for is four hours, maybe five hours- if I know I'm going to be longer I arrange cover, and that's with two dogs. When I just had Holly, I hardly ever left her for longer than four hours.

I have to chime in.... I agree with those who say Cavs should not be left alone all day. We had the pups in their kennel at home for 2 months (Nov & Dec '06) while dh & I worked full time. (Molly was alone until we got Maxwell on the 10th of December) Our 18 yr old son came home to check on the pups and give them a walk / pee / snuggle break half way through the day. Those two months when I was at work I was a complete emotional wreck!!! I quit my (dead end) job at the end of December because the stress of leaving them alone had become too much. I needed to be home with them.

Something that I think might be missing from this conversation is the emotional aspect of owning a cavalier. I NEVER would have imagined that I could totally and completely fall in love with (a) dog(s)!!!! And my husband has also! These puppies bring us so much joy. Dh & I are (almost) empty nesters, and our puppies have become our precious babies. You can talk about day care and dog walkers, but you will have to find someone very special that you can entrust your sweet little angel with. After you fall in love with your Cavalier, there might not be many people / places good enough!!! Cavaliers are the most gentle, loving, caring and precious beings...you might find yourself wanting to do whatever you can to make sure that they are getting the best care as you can give. For me, that meant being at home for them.

(I'm not saying that my experience is 'normal', 'right' or 'wrong'....it's just what happened with me)

Something that I think might be missing from this conversation is the emotional aspect of owning a cavalier. I NEVER would have imagined that I could totally and completely fall in love with (a) dog(s)!!!! And my husband has also! These puppies bring us so much joy. Dh & I are (almost) empty nesters, and our puppies have become our precious babies. You can talk about day care and dog walkers, but you will have to find someone very special that you can entrust your sweet little angel with. After you fall in love with your Cavalier, there might not be many people / places good enough!!! Cavaliers are the most gentle, loving, caring and precious beings...you might find yourself wanting to do whatever you can to make sure that they are getting the best care as you can give. For me, that meant being at home for them.

I totally agree with you Lynn in that you absolutely fall in love with these little dogs. I knew I would love Ellie but I never knew HOW MUCH I would fall in love with her. She is my princess and from the moment I wake up to the moment we fall asleep together snuggled in bed I want to be with her, spend time with her, snuggle with her, play with her, etc.

I absolutely love sleep. Ask anyone. On the weekends I frequently take about 2 naps a day even after sleeping in. My husband knows that once I go to bed I do not want to be disturbed as sleep is so precious to me and I never get enough of it but when Ellie has diaherrea and starts to cry at all hours of the night I find myself outside with her in the dead of the night gently rubbing her head and ears as she goes. It doesn't matter what time it is or how many times every time she cries Im right out of bed and on my way out the door with her without a second thought. Perhaps this is good practice for future children as well :p

With that said I hate going to work everyday (for many reasons ;)) and it breaks my heart to see her looking at me as I leave but unfortunately for right now at least, my husband simply cant afford to pay the mortgage by himself and I dont want him to have to kill himself working two jobs just to take care of his family. Though I hate working and leaving Ellie I know that the time my husband and I spend with her when we are home lets her know that she is loved by us both and though we do have to leave during the week as soon as we come home its all about her. In the end though Im sure other Cavalier owners who work will agree when we say the quality of time we spend with our beloved dogs makes up for the quantity. :D

Last edited:
Back