• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhea

The vet just called, and she was sick again last night - but is bright and alert. They're going to x-ray her shortly to rule out a blockage. My poor little girl.... :(

Sick dog

Bright and alert is good! If there is something seriously wrong with the dog they will not be themselves at all. The vet will do all they can to make sure she is right as rain again and the drips look so much worse than they really are, esp on a small dog. They will rule out everything serious before they can conclude what is wrong and she is probably on some antibiotics to clear up infection. Often with these things it is a waiting game to see how they get on and for their bodies to sort out the problem (with a little help!).

Keep us posted on progress - you guys must be so worried :(

Throughout the whole thing she's seemed fine in herself - a little bit more clingy than normal, but that's about it. I took her for a walk before we went to the vet, and she wanted to run, so I didn't expect they'd think it was serious enough to admit her. Anyway, they gave her antibiotics last night, and I assume they've given her more today. Will ring after lunch to see how she's doing.

It was so weird when we brought her in - the place was full of massive boxers, rottweilers and what looked like pit bull or staffie crosses - and there we were with our little fluffy princess. I cried when they took her away - they had to carry her in coz she didn't want to leave us.

Nothing much showed up in the xray, apart from the inflammation of her stomach walls. They're going to monitor her for the next 24hrs and if she keeps getting sick, they'll have to operate to see if she swallowed something that didn't show up on the xray. The vet had a good feel of her tummy while she was sedated, and didn't feel anything, so that's good. They say her tummy is less tender than it was last night, so she has improved a bit - so fingers crossed it's just an infection, and the antibiotics are helping...

When Oliver swallowed a toy that created a blockage, he was really, really ill and never had good moments while we were waiting to see if the blockage would move on it's own or if he needed surgery. By day #2 it was obvious that he was one very sick dog and had surgery that morning. The blockage was moving, but too slowly and they didn't want to wait any longer. He lost two feet of his intestines because they had become gangrenous in that short period of time. (That was 5 years ago and he's fine now). So, just to reiterate what Lorebringer said, if there is something seriously wrong with her, she would most likely be acting much sicker than she is. Hopefully, they won't have to operate. Good luck. :xfngr:

My Eboney had gastroenteritis at the starting of the year. It was terrible. We had to rush her to the vets at 3 in the morning. She had to stay at the vets for two nights and they put her on a drip. I cried when I had to leave Ebony at the vets, but you know she is at the best place she can be. I keep my fingers crossed :xfngr: that she gets better real quick.

Sabby

My Eboney had gastroenteritis at the starting of the year. It was terrible. We had to rush her to the vets at 3 in the morning. She had to stay at the vets for two nights and they put her on a drip. I cried when I had to leave Ebony at the vets, but you know she is at the best place she can be. I keep my fingers crossed :xfngr: that she gets better real quick.

Sabby

What were Ebony's symptoms?

Sick Baby

Exactly what your baby has been having (speaking from experience - haven't a clue about Ebony!); bad poos, bit of vomiting, sore belly etc. The problem is that they can get very dehydrated if they don't take in water but are still spurting from each end (and from the sound of it the vets have been dealing with this).

My lot have had it once or twice (not to mention the numerous "guests" I have had!), it effects different dogs differently (some seem fine and just poo a lot and others are really miserable). A big problem as far as comfort with it is that their whole digestive tract can get very inflamed and they can be very sore to touch. Have the vets done a scope to check out her stomach and upper small intestine? Have they done a poo and vomit sample (lovely!)?

From what you have been saying it really sounds like a bad infection but as I said before everyhting else has to be ruled out before conclusions can be made, everything they are doing is to ensure they don't miss anything and to make sure she gets well!

Ebony went from bad to worse within 4 hours. She started being sick at 11 o’clock at night just before I was going to bed. I thought it was a once off and didn’t think much about it. Only 10 minutes before she was playing. We went upstairs (My cavaliers sleep in our bedroom) and she couldn’t get comfortable. She kept moving from one place to another. Normally when she puts her head on my pillow it stays there until the next morning. Then she was sick about every 40 minutes. My husband does shift work and he came home about 2’ o’clock. He let the dogs out in the garden and she went to do her toilet, she came back in and I heard him shouting upstairs for me to get up that we have to take her to the vets now. I never got out of bed this quick. When I got downstairs I couldn’t believe my eyes. There was a big puddle of blood on the floor. I couldn’t believe that amount of blood had come out of Ebonys behind. I m glad my husband was there, because I was panicking. We rushed her to the vets and he said at that time a lot of that gastroenteritis was going round. He felt her tummy and he said that there was still blood in her tummy and that they would have to keep her there and put her on a drip. She was ok after 2 days.

Sabby

I am so sorry your baby is sick. I was so absorbed with Bandit over the last couple days that I wasn't looking much at stuff here.

Is she still at the vets? I hope she is improving.

Well I rang this morning, and she hadn't had vomiting or diarrhea for the previous 24 hrs. They hadn't fed her, but she'd been drinking and had kept that down. They did a contrast xray with Barium after I spoke to them, just to rule out any foreign bodies. Spoke to them just now, and those xrays were clear, so they said we can take her home tonight. :rah:

Am so relieved - we miss her so much. She normally follows me everywhere I go in the house, so it's been weird for the last couple of nights.... and I miss her snuggling up on my lap when I sit down. Hopefully she's feeling better now, poor little baby...

You must be relieved that she is coming home. Thank god the x-ray showed that everything is clear. Did they say what they think it is?

Sabby

Picked her up this evening, so she's home at last. They think it was gastroenteritis - seems to be a lot of it going around the area at the moment. She's curled up on the sofa now, just gave her a little food, going to take her out for a short walk in a bit. We have tablets to reduce the inflammation in her tummy, and antibiotics, so hopefully they'll sort her out in a few days.

Thanks for all the support guys!!!

Back