• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Different Research ?

Bet where I am in some other breeds some pet owners and breeders just went quietly to their politicians and complained, they did this as they knew that talking to and trying to get things done with the well established scene within their breed would get them nowhere. It was interesting to see how many were trying to stop the politicians bringing in things about Heritable Diseases. Now we have Government Codes Of Practice, and in November there will be Seminars where a representative from the Bureau of Animal Welfare will be attending to explain the Code Of Practice and how breeders can best work with it. In time more Heritable Diseases might be added to the already existing Government Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

Well that is where I am where things are changing, and I think that after the UK Full Reports come out it just might still be a somewhat turbulent time in the UK dog scene, well we will just have to wait and see if that is so. In regards to the UK Cavalier scene I think that the scene should get heaps involved with Sarah Blott’s EBV Program, and which has been funded from what I hear by the Kennel Club Charitable Trust and the Animal Health Trust where I think that they might like to see it work great, but if it flopped then they would look at the reasons why it did where they may let their thoughts be known.

Also I noted a very recent comment by KC spokesperson Caroline Kisko, “We are making changes first and foremost to protect pedigree health. If we do not act in concert with breed clubs the law is likely to step in and take action independently which will impact equally – or more so – on any groups outside the KC." and “No breed club is immune from the spotlight that is being cast on their breed and these issues will not just go away.”

The APGAW Full Report is being revealed next month, and in the news it was mentioned that DEFRA is keen to obtain a copy. I wonder what the APGAW Full Report might contain and if Cavaliers are mentioned.
Then much later there is the Professor Bateson Full Report that he mentioned was being peer reviewed, and in the video where he was being interviewed from Australia by Catalyst I remember him talking about a Cavalier. I also wonder what his Full Report might contain and if Cavaliers are mentioned.

Different Research?

I noticed on another List a Quote by a List Member about genetics .
I just can't understand why this has been quoted and how it can be applied to help understanding.

Hopefully an explanation will be forth coming as to why the Article has been Quoted.

Different Research?

Just noticed in the recent UK CKCS CLUB Magazine,that we can expect to see much tighter controls over Dog Breeding in the Future .There would seem to be a move towards Breeder Liability ,in which case each Breeder needs to decide for themselves the risks of not doing everything possible in terms of Testing to ensure the Health of any Off-Spring from their Breeding Stock.

I would think that in our Cavalier Breed, this could mean Heart Testing for MVD and MRI Scanning for SM.

I think that by some of the Hard Core of Cavalier Breeders ,the Health Problems in Cavaliers given by the Researchers was being ignored ,but this can't happen any-more now.

Nothing ,I think will focus some Cavaliers' Breeders minds more than being sued, if they have sold a Cavalier whose Parents have not been Health Tested , the Cavalier developes a Health Problem known to be in the Breed ,and the Cavalier Owner takes Legal action against that Cavalier Breeder.

That those Cavalier Breeders who spout SM or MVD Problems ,WHAT SM or MVD Problems can't do so any-more.This has also been recognized by the orginizers of the forth- coming World Wide Cavalier Walk, that our Cavaliers do have Health Problems, and a lot of money is needed for Research into them .

Bet we will just have to wait and see if anything happens after the Full Reports are available.

Over my way this suddenly appeared on a Government website in another state. Maybe something similar just might happen over your way, and I read in the news that DEFRA was keen to obtain the Full Reports. I heard that over your way that "Codes of Practice" could be embodied within existing legislation and that is not too difficult. It appears that the following was not too difficult over my way.

NSW Government
"Animal Welfare Code of Practice Breeding Dogs And Cats"

10.1.2.2 Where a heritable disease is recognised in a breed and where there is screening procedures or a test for that disease the person in charge in the case of a stud cat or dog or bitch or queen should:
• have a current official evaluation or test result for the dog or cat for such hereditary disease;
• provide the official evaluation or test result to the owners where the dog or cat is to be mated to an animal not owned by the breeding facility;
• provide the official evaluation or test result of both the sire and the dam to the new owners of any puppy of kitten;
• endeavour to ensure that the genetic make-up of both sire and dam will not result in an increase in the frequency or severity of known inherited disorders.

wouldn't it be wonderful

NSW Government
"Animal Welfare Code of Practice Breeding Dogs And Cats"

10.1.2.2 Where a heritable disease is recognised in a breed and where there is screening procedures or a test for that disease the person in charge in the case of a stud cat or dog or bitch or queen should:
• have a current official evaluation or test result for the dog or cat for such hereditary disease;
• provide the official evaluation or test result to the owners where the dog or cat is to be mated to an animal not owned by the breeding facility;
• provide the official evaluation or test result of both the sire and the dam to the new owners of any puppy of kitten;
• endeavour to ensure that the genetic make-up of both sire and dam will not result in an increase in the frequency or severity of known inherited disorders.

Simple and clear.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a similar Code of Practice was introduced after the Bateson report has been published.

Different Research?

Still wonder if some Cavalier Breeders Minds will not be more Focused if there is a chance of them being sued....if they have not Health Tested for a known Health Problem in our Breed..and the unlucky Owner of such a Cavalier goes to Court .

I know Professor Bateson mentioned something about this being involved with a Code Of Practice, and that an Animal Charity could fight their case for them.

I read that DEFRA was keen to see the Full Reports. This is interesting on the DEFRA website.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, powers exist for secondary legislation and codes of practice to be made to promote the welfare of animals. The government is currently looking at a number of specific issues with a view to updating or bringing in new regulations or codes.
Until such new provisions are made, existing laws will continue to apply.

Back