• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does your cav cock his legs to pee?

Henry was neutered at 5 1/2 months and is still neatly half-squatting at 10 months. It's not a full squat, he sort of leans forward and pushes his belly down. No attempt at all to cock his leg.

I used to have a Border Collie girl who was spayed at 6 months but copied my older Border Collie boy Ben and started cocking her leg. She only did this when out for walks, off lead. In the garden she used to revert to squatting.

He would still be a bit young to be cocking his leg. Most start between about 6-12 months. The majority of males will eventually cock their legs -- including many, but not all, of those neutered before they started. Some will squat, even those who are intact. And many do a mix (both my neutered males do both, though Leo almost never squats). I know of plenty of dogs neutered before they lifted their leg who end up doing this so be prepared -- most males do NOT go like females go, in one whoosh -- they do lots and lots of small wees preferably in lots of locations, and this is NOT something you want indoors! Hence I would really strongly advise housetraining any male dog to go outside -- chances are he will want to cock his leg and he WILL pee on walls if he has nowhere else to go inside. He will also cock his leg everywhere you take him, in other people's houses, because to him this will be the norm. Once he starts doing adult sized bowel movements several times a day indoors, expect things to become very unpleasant and smelly as well. At five months, he should be mostly housetrained by now though to go outside if you have been housetraining, and a normally-housetrained dog won't lift his leg indoors. (y)

I'd love to have him go outside and pee. The problem with Scooby is, we didn't get on top of the house training and now he is too used to pee indoors. I tried to take him outside to pee today (after he started sniffing around went into the squatting position) and we stayed outside for about 45mins and still he didn't pee. Within five minutes of arriving home, he peed inside. I think he's just too conditioned to peeing inside now and wont' do it outside anymore.

Wesley used to lift his leg on everything when he was intact. Now that he is nuetered, he squats :confused:. I will get the occasional leg cock on walks though.

He picked up cocking his leg at the dog park. When he first started lifting his leg, he was really confused and tried to lift his leg to poop!!! That didn't go over very well :lol:

Cody was nuetered at 5 months and is now 10 months old and hasn't done it yet.

This has had me in stitches the last day or so, then this morning I let Darcy out, he's just 14 weeks old, so off he trots with his mum Princess following, I looked out of the window a couple of minutes later and there was young Darcy cocking his leg up the fence post! :rotfl: But what really had me laughing was the way his mum was looking at him, I swear if she could talk she'd have been saying "That's my boy all grown up, a REAL man now!" cl*p :rah:

My boys were desexed at 6 months and by the time they were a year old they started lifting their leg...Monty switches between the two..sometimes he lifts and sometimes squats...so they only started at around a year old
But what really had me laughing was the way his mum was looking at him, I swear if she could talk she'd have been saying "That's my boy all grown up, a REAL man now!" cl*p
:rotfl:

He picked up cocking his leg at the dog park. When he first started lifting his leg, he was really confused and tried to lift his leg to poop!!! That didn't go over very well :lol:

That had me laughing out loud at the thought.

Our daft Henry tried to poop on a slope in woodland the other day but started toppling over. :yikes He carried on trying as he slithered down but in the end he just slipped right down the slope. His face was priceless! :confused:

Last edited:
My boy is a year and 2 months and still hasn't lifted his leg, but I'm kind of glad. Every time my sisters Cav pees he does it right down his leg:lol:

Geordie is 3.5 yrs old and has never cocked his leg; he was neutered at 4-5 months. He leans forward and does a half squat, as described by Lucy's mum - quite a masculine-looking stance, really, compared to my girls!;) ;) ;)

Back