• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

does your cav pull when walking?

I've tried the walking in different directions technique, but how do you stop the determined jumping up? Amber's pretty good at getting about on her hind legs at any time - when there's a treat in the equation she becomes a prima ballerina. Seriously. I've seen her pirouette.

I've got the easy-walk harness and found it quite effective, although Amber once terrified me by slipping out of it. I don't know, but she managed. I also have one of those twirly metal spring things - they absorb the 'pull' so it's less painful for you, and it does seem to discourage pulling on the dog end too - less tension, perhaps.

Daisy had a habit of jumping up when heeling. The teacher told me to never ever give her a treat unless 4 feet were on the ground. If that means stopping and making her sit each and every time before she gets a treat, then you may have to do that. Or maybe hold the treat lower so she won't be tempted to jump up for it. Or you could wait till she's in between jumps, then click right at the time her 4 feet are on the ground and then treat. That way she knows that she won't ever get treats while jumping.

I never give my dogs a treat unless they're in a sit position. If you've been giving your dog treats after he jumps around for them, you're rewarding the jumping. This can pose problems in the home and on lead because the dog doesn't see anything wrong with jumping, since you've been rewarding the behavior all along. Try making him sit for the treat. Also, training is more effective when the dog is tired. If they're hyper and anxious, it's much harder to hold their attention even if you're using treats. Go for a run with him to tire him out, even though they pull on lead, they'll still run with their owner. I swayed away from the easy-walk harness because I heard about it being easy for dogs to slip out of.

My 6-month old Mickey walked fairly nicely when he was a puppy as long as we held a treat in our left hand so he could see and smell them. We did give him the treats every few minutes to keep him interested. But lately he became a puller, the "treat-in-hand" trick only worked once in a while. I know the "stop and turn around" method but I hadn't really put that in practice because I really wanted to go somewhere.:dogwlk:

Then I fumbled into this thread.... I received my Sensible harness yesterday and took Mickey out this morning for a 3-mile walk. Boy, this thing worked wonders, he was walking much nicer, he still pulled sometimes, but when he pulled, he felt the tension so he would stop pulling or slowed down. Even when he really tried hard to pull, I could barely feel the tension on my hand.

I bought it directly from the company for about $20 including shipping. To me it's priceless.

A big thank you to Karlin and others who recommended this.

Can anyone suggest a supplier for the Sensible harness in the UK please? I've deliberated for long enough about buying one and having been dragged around the streets tonight by my dog, I reckon I should get on with it! :)

Back