• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs who've had struggles - extra special?

cooper&fergus

Just wondering what you all thought about this. Do you think that dogs who've had struggles eg with their health or otherwise seem to be extra plucky and extra special.

Fergus got laryngitis when he was 12 days old and was not able to suckle. He had to be dropper fed every 2 hours by the breeder and virtually lived in her arms for days. As a result he's certainly a small cavie compared to the rest of the litter but he's so plucky and so lovable. He just seems to have a quality about him that everyone loves and he craves human attention even more than usual for a cav. Certainly compared tp his brother and cousin.

A breeder we know had another one with a heart murmur and was also small but had that same sort of character. And now reading about Sam having that special quality about him to.

I'm wondering for those of you who've had dogs with various problems or those of you who recue cavs, do you find this to be a bit of a common trait? That their difficulties in life have resulted in a resilience and loving quality about them that is quite unique. Just a thought.

Yep my SiânE is extra special, but then I really proud (and lucky) owner. 8)

SiânE is not like the other cavaliers I meet. She has never run around, doesn’t’ know what to do when she meets other dogs and not that playful type of dog. But she has a big heart and like to show our family how much she loves us. I think the best words to descried her is meek with a happy go lucky style.

I became very lucky three years ago when as a five year old she came into my life. Her owner had given her up (I don’t know the full story, she could have been taken away by the RSPCA) because she was diabetic. The vet staff fell in love with her and I believe went the extra mile to find her a new home, as they could not bear the thought of putting her down. In fact I saw one of the vets the other week who told me how happy everyone at the hospital was when they knew she had found a new home.

SiânE can be shy with new people but even then they still fall in love with her. She is on a very strict diet because of her health problems but she still has secret feeders. SiânE without trying can wrap anyone around her little paw without having to think about it.

One of the things about her health condition that worry me the most was when she lost her sight. Its something that was going to happen no matter what. I got SiânE because my dog at the time was diabetic, so that’s why I got the phone call from the hospital.

My other dog didn’t handle her sight lost that well. Because of SiânE shy nature, I was worried that she would be much worst. But she has totally amazed me by the way she has handle it. Her sight is now down to slow movement, but to see her you would think nothing is wrong with her. She walks about over the park or down the road as if nothing is wrong. Only a couple of times do I have to shout ‘ CAREFUL’ to let her know she is about to walk into a brick wall.

I don’t know if cavalier with health problems are extra special but I do believe because of their nature they can handle some of the bigger health issues, a lot better then us humans owners do.

Yes, yes, yes.

My precious baby foster girl Topsy had been abandoned on the streets; and at some time beaten over the head, causing her brain damage.

On top of this, she had spondylitis in her spine.

I have NEVER EVER met a more independent, determined, strong little dog. Her courage was amazing, and she never stopped still :)

Bradley, who is mentally scarred from his years in a puppy farm, is also a really strong-minded animal, and more loving than any other cavi's we've had.

Yes I do agree Sam has got something special about him I cannot explain what it is but he comes for a cuddle most days he has about 10 minites and goes and lays down but he will let me out of his sight then he comes again just to make sure for another cuddle -----Aileen
P S I have got to say that both Barney and Jazzie are special to for letting another dog to come here --Aileen

I agree, Alfie had the runs so badly for the first month we had him, also a bad cough and at certain points the vet was very worried. It appears this was all caused by a food allergy, he now has special food from the vet and although very small he is so tough and independent and has gone from 1.5 kilo to a much healthier 5 kilos. Not sure if he will get much bigger the vet thinks maybe not.

Yvonne

I also think that because it's so obvious you adore these extra special dogs and love them that bit extra, it has made them love you all the more too.

Cooper and furgus

That applies to humans as well,my daughter has allways sruggled with health issues,and she cant do certain things but she is so sweet,happy and allways up beat about getting sick.And she is so gentle with animals and other very very sick kids in the hospital.All the nurses love her to bits.She is a joy.Its funny she is so used to being ill we dont even know she is sick sometimes.

Back