• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs won't pee in the rain

LorifromGA

Hi, everyone! I haven't been on the board in awhile...been too swamped with work lately to do much fun stuff.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on how to get their dogs to pee and poop when it's pouring outside? We're on day 2 of a 4-day rainfest, and Josie and Jasper don't appreciate getting their dainty feet wet. I'm about to pull my hair out with them. I try to take them to a relatively dry spot, but they just stand there looking miserable. I wish I had a covered run, but I don't. Josie used a wee-wee pad by the door once yesterday, but Jasper refuses. I've given the command "Go potty!" that they both know, offered lots of encouragement, etc. Nothing is working so far.

They've been spending a lot of time in their crates today because they refuse to pee/poop. I feel bad about it, but I don't want my floors to suffer from their stubborness.

Any ideas?

Lori

The only way I can get mine to go outside if it's raining, is if I put them on a leash and go out with them and walk around. I can't just stand on the patio all huddled up, I have to walk them around the yard. With three leashes, unfortunately I don't have a hand leftover to hold an umbrella either.....good luck! If they don't do anything, I put my "accident prone" in his crate.

Lori and Trisha. These guys are so dang spoiled that sometimes its sickening. lol. Every blasted time it rains these guys are so afraid of getting their little feeties wet--I've seen Chelsea stand out there on 3 legs and like she's diseased or something. I just left the room and low and behold came back to a nice brown surprise in here--why because they might get their little tender feet WET. I usually crate mine on days like this also when I leave the room my I left for less than a minute. RIDICULOUS. lol. I keep threatening them that I'm going to move back to Seattle and then they will have real problems--lol.

Arthur has always been a rough and tumble - I don't care if I am dirty, wet, etc - kind of dog so when it rains I just dread having to wait for him to find his spot while I get my dainty little feet wet :)

Duncan is a little more picky about when and where and will hold it for HOURS during our rainy days here.

Fortunately or not Duncan is perfect in the house so he will just hold it until he can not anymore and then begrudgingly trot into the monsoon and do his business. Arthur, on the other hand, is my accident prone puppy that I stand in the rain and wait for.

That said, we don't have too many rain problems anymore even though I feel bad for Dunc on days when I am sure he has to go and just won't. If I decide he really needs to go because we are going out for hours or to sleep I will get my big golf umbrella, put him on a leash and be more of a servant than I already am by keeping him from the falling rain while my spoiled little puppy goes in the rain.

My question is if they don't like getting their feet wet then why won't they let me wipe them off at the door before my house gets muddy little footprints all over it?

Arthur has always been a rough and tumble - I don't care if I am dirty, wet, etc - kind of dog so when it rains I just dread having to wait for him to find his spot while I get my dainty little feet wet :)

Duncan is a little more picky about when and where and will hold it for HOURS during our rainy days here.

Fortunately or not Duncan is perfect in the house so he will just hold it until he can not anymore and then begrudgingly trot into the monsoon and do his business. Arthur, on the other hand, is my accident prone puppy that I stand in the rain and wait for.

That said, we don't have too many rain problems anymore even though I feel bad for Dunc on days when I am sure he has to go and just won't. If I decide he really needs to go because we are going out for hours or to sleep I will get my big golf umbrella, put him on a leash and be more of a servant than I already am by keeping him from the falling rain while my spoiled little puppy goes in the rain.

My question is if they don't like getting their feet wet then why won't they let me wipe them off at the door before my house gets muddy little footprints all over it?

How weird - I would have thought you were talking about my two then! Merlin is just like Duncan and Oakley just like Arthur;)

My Ilsa is a Princess too! She refuses to go out in the rain. I usually carry her about 2 blocks away and take her to a dry spot. If she doesn't go, she has to walk home anyway and almost always goes on the way. Works like a charm! Sometimes she realizes that if she goes where I carry her I'll carry her home under the umbrella too.

Jen and Ilsa

Oh how funny! Ruby doesn't like to get her feet wet either she looks at you like youre trying to murder her:lol: If its only a bit i put her raincoat on & just go. if its raining a lot we get to the door & she puts her paws up on you to be carried! i take her to the nearest grass area, she wees& then its paws up again to be carried home! it doesnt seem to matter to her that i might be getting bloomin soaked but im always too busy laughing at her bobing along with her nose in the air as if "it is only right that i be carried!" that i dont care how wet im getting. she also goes out of her way to walk around any puddles too! i tried holding a brolly over her, she did not like that at all! she doesnt like the strong winds were having just now either..pampered pooch? not a bit of it!

I think Bella must have forgotten that she is a Cavalier, and thinks she is a Lab or Newfie... when it rains, I cannot get her to come in from outside. She will just sit on the deck and get soaked. She has no problem with her feet or anything else getting wet! It drives me crazy!:bang: I end up having to go get her. When she was a puppy, she wouldn't go out if it was even a sprinkle, I would have to take my golf umbrella out and keep it over her for her to potty, but sometime in the last few months, that changed! It seems she waits until its pouring buckets to go out! Unfortunetly, we are in the middle of a 3 day rainy period, so I have lots of towels by the door! UGH!

Maddie and Pippin both sit by the back door when it's raining and give me that look - You want me to go out in that! However if I pick up their leads, they are more than happy to go for a walk, get soaked, and perform all they are meant to.:) Not as easy as trying to get them to go in the garden, but hey, what am I here for except to cater to their every whim?:jump:

Mindy used to hate to get her feet wet - I'd have to take her for a walk if I wanted her to go in the rain but she doesn't seem to mind anymore. Max isn't terribly fond of rain and I usually have to go out with him if it's raining.

Well, I'm glad to know it's not just my two who don't like the rain. :D They finally went out during a small break in the downpour yesterday and managed to get completely muddy. I had the towels ready for them at the back door. It's still raining today, and when I opened the door this morning, they both sat there and looked up at me with a look of utter horror and revulsion on their little faces. They ran out and peed, but then Josie came right back in and pooped on my rug. :rolleyes:

It's funny how breeds are so different. My mother's Shih tzu is the same way my dogs are, but their two Labs don't mind the rain a bit.

Rain, rain, go away!

Lori

Going to be a very long day in regards to getting them to go out. Its pour here in Macon Lori--like a monsoon.

Back