• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan isn't well.

He also sounds constipated perhaps? Or am I misunderstanding -- I thought you were withholding food, but you've fed him twice? Or have you just reintroduced food today?

Yes, I starved him yesterday and the vet said to reintroduce food this morning.

Pauline, I'm sorry to hear about wee Dylan. I hope he's feeling better soon. Please keep us posted. Dylan is just the cutest little dog. I adore all his pictures and he looks so cozy in that blanket.

How is Dyan this evening? Hope he's getting better. He looks like he's getting pampered in the photo and why not he deserves it. Get better soon little man

As predicted, my boy won't poo! I even took him out for a short walk at 10pm and am cooking up a little plain rice, no matter if he gets me up in the night! He is very hungry and it might get things moving.

So all I have thus far is one small sample for a poo he did on Wednesday and it has to be handed in tomorrow.

get well soon dylan! upset tummies are the worst. he looks so pitiful in his blanket.....hugs from me and indy!

Is Dylan any better today? I'd just go back to the vet with the small sample you have and explain to the vet that he hasn't pooed. At least then the vet can investigate further and they wil be aware of his symptoms. Has he been eating? If not maybe re introduce his normal food to get things moving.

Dylan asked to go out at 8am and we finally got another sample :p Bright yellow and like mousse, maybe due to the prebiotic and the change to boiled rice and chicken, because on Wednesday he had a normal looking stool. I rushed it round there as soon as the surgery opened. I won't get the results until after Christmas.

I'm sure he'll get well soon, he's sleepy and quiet and wants cuddles for a change but seems ok. Just imagine if we had tests every time we had diarrhoea!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and the advice. I really appreciate your support when I'm worried.

:thnx:

Dylan still has diarrhoea, he came in with a dirty bottom again tonight. I suppose I have to starve him again tomorrow, poor fella.

Took Dylan back to the vets today. They are so nice there. They gave him tinned prescription food for a week, it's by Royal Canin. Re-hydration powder to put in his water, she said he isn't dehydrated but just in case as he's drinking a bit less and some pills to ease his intestines. He LOVED the food! She said you don't need to fast for 24hrs, a 12hr gap between meals is enough. I'm glad I got everything before they close for Christmas.

So sorry to hear about this scare with Dylan - they always pick a lousy time to do it don't they? Our best effort was an anal gland abscess on Christmas Eve EEK :(

It's best to get these things checked out, you never know what is going on with the bowel and they can hide things quite well.

The stool sample should show what's going on .

Try not to worry and avoid giving him anything other than the special food, no matter how tempting.

I was just going to say the same as Nicki. Izzy showed signs of a possible decline , the week before last Christmas, so i got him checked, just in case, but he was fine.

My guys love that prescription food. But then they love ANY food... :rolleyes: Lily was delighted when she got to et it for a week when she had bad gastroenteritis. She always has a dicey stomach but unfortunately is also a garbage guts!! I never know what she has hoovered in before I can check it on walks. :sl*p:

Thanks guys. I got to see my favourite vet today, a little Spanish lady who loves Dylan. She always explains everything and her partner is nice too, they always go into the science of the problem and I do like to know why we are following a certain course, you have probably noticed :rolleyes:

The reason a three day sample was needed was because parasites can show on alternate days, any sample is good but if you can wait, 3 days is more likely to show up something.

She said the blood is from his intestines (or somewhere else inside, I can't be sure I remembered everything) so he really is sore and we have to take measures to be gentle with his food and the pills will help him.

Thanks guys. I got to see my favourite vet today, a little Spanish lady who loves Dylan. She always explains everything and her partner is nice too, they always go into the science of the problem and I do like to know why we are following a certain course, you have probably noticed :rolleyes:

The reason a three day sample was needed was because parasites can show on alternate days, any sample is good but if you can wait, 3 days is more likely to show up something.

She said the blood is from his intestines (or somewhere else inside, I can't be sure I remembered everything) so he really is sore and we have to take measures to be gentle with his food and the pills will help him.

Hasn't Dylan had this sort of problem before? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. My Bentley would have these bouts of colitis, complete with blood as you've described. His stomach would make the loudest noises, and he was obviously crampy and uncomfortable... he'd always want to eat, though! :rolleyes:

I had him to the vet quite often and all tests always came back negative. She would prescribe metronizadole and prednisone for a few days; he'd feel better and then it would happen again weeks or months later. I think he was sensitive to different foods or treats, personally.

I started giving him SeaCure powder with his food.
http://www.seacure-protein.com/products/seacure_for_pets.html

It's pricey, but BOY what a difference. It's really smelly stuff (made from whitefish) too. He loves it.

Maybe you could mention it to your vet and see what she says.
I sure hope Dylan feels better soon, poor little guy!

Yes he has had this problem before but not for as long. I'll mention the powder to the vet. The test results will be back after Christmas.

I don't give treats. I always read packets and have never found commercial treats without sugar salt or colourings so I don't buy them. I give kibble when training at home or tiny pieces of cheese if we are in a training class (we haven't been for weeks). He does have rawhide chews though (not at the moment, vet said nothing but prescription diet for now) and I have heard this can give diarrhoea so we need to find something different. He needs to chew, any recommendations?

Back