• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Giving meds

Poor little thing. Sorry to misunderstand that she isn't even food-motivated at the moment. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Good luck tomorrow, let us know how it goes with the vet.

My only concern is the stress of the vets office again. Different vet but same scenario to her--trouble. When I call this a.m. to ask for assistance on this afternoon's pill will ask them if right when I walk in the office if they will put me in a room soand get me in and out of there quickly. Besides that she is doing really well considering this is day 6 post-op. Drank more yesterday and even ate two different times of rice, chix and yogurt mixed and last night gave a little bit of cheese also. Yesterday was really the first she had eaten since a week ago.

I've been reading through this thread and I really feel for you. I cannot imagine how difficult things have been for you recently. You sound like a fantastic mum and the care you are giving your little one sounds amazing.
Does she have to take the pills whole or can they be crushed? I'm just wondering because I had a nightmare trying to give my little one her tablets a while ago. I ended up crushing them, mixing them with a teaspoon or two of water, sucking it up into a syringe and squirting it slowly into the side of her mouth, then immediately giving her something yummy to lick like a bit of pate or something fishy. I realise your little girl isn't eating much at the mo, so what about using something she will take, like yogurt, or even sucking yogurt up (watered down a bit maybe) into the syringe with the powdered pill and then squirting it gently into the side of her mouth. I'm just trying to think of a way that might cause her the minimum amount of disruption, as I would also be nervous of moving her around too much or encouraging her to lift her head etc.
Please forgive me if I'm way off the mark because her tablets have to remain whole and just ignore me, but I felt I had post, as you are obviously desperate to do the very best thing for her.
Very best wishes to you and your little girl.
I will keep an eye out on here to see how she is progressing and also how you are doing:)

I really understand the problem, as Sammy is a master at spitting pills out. He's excellent at seeming like he's eaten them and then when my back is turned out they come.

Once I had to give him antibiotics that shouldn't be taken with food. I quickly discovered that battling with him was just upsetting for both of us. So, I decided to do it in a calmer way instead. In the evening when we were sitting on the sofa watching TV, I'd just quietly pop the pill into his mouth and he'd put his head on my hand. Then we'd wait to see who'd get bored first. :eek: It would take over half an hour before he'd finally swallow it. I never fussed about it - just stroked his head while he looked at me stubbornly. After a couple of days of this, he gave up much sooner. The plus side was that it wasn't stressful. The minus side was that it took lots of patience!

I understand though that if Abbey's drooling all the time, it makes it even more difficult. That vet device that Karlin mentions sounds great - you should check if they can give you something like that, as I'm sure they must know it's difficult to give a sick dogs pills.

Ohhh Phoebe thank you for your kind words. Its words like yours that help me so much. I know I'm a good mom and I'd do anything for her just like I would for my 2-legged kids who are grown and gone with kids of their own. She is definitely loved alot!!! I called the vet and I'm going in at 3:30 and they are going to help me. I also voiced my concerns about the stress etc. since she had seizures last week and right when they see me walk in the door they are having a room ready to put me into. Thanks again. This is a hard journey and we have faith that this will work in the end once again our beautiful Abbey will come out again. Meaning I haven't seen my dog's personality in a very long time.

Hi Linderbelle
I would really try the Greenies pill pockets. they were a life saver to me! Little polka would spit out her pill in cheese, turkey, anything I gave her. These she loves the smell. I pop them in and tip her nose up a bit and they go right down. She takes 2 pills daily, and since I have found them, it hasn't been a problem and she is difficult when it comes to food.
Megan

Linda, I just wanted to say how well you are doing. I looked at your journal and could see your play pen set up, it looked very safe and comfy. Hang in there, you're doing a good job. :hug:

I loved Laura's idea, oh if we could all stay as calm as you. We could learn a lot from you Laura. (y)

It must be very stressful but you seem to be coming out the other side at this point. Sometimes it would be so much easier if someone would just invent a decent veterinary suppository that you could just administer in less than three seconds.
As the Borg Say in Star Trek "Resistance is futile".
Try to not get too stressed over it, as long as she's eating and drinking she's well on the path to recovery.Just don't forget to look after yourself.
Sins

Echoing Sins -- the other key issue is that if you are stressed, and especially if you are stressed and paying her extra attention to 'comfort' her all the time because you feel she is stressed or worried, especially when going to the vet, she simply learns to be extra stressed when going to the vet because you are. She will pick all this stress from you and respond to it as she will look to you for a cue on how to react -- and 'comforting' is actually positive reinforcement for her fear reactions, teaching her to be fearful! and *definitely* not what anyone should be doing! Dogs are not children so you cannot explain what is going on -- they are reading your body language and scent and reaction and also, looking for what they can do to elicit your praise and reward (eg comforting actions).

So while it may be difficult, it may be worth having someone else in the family try taking her to the vet -- for her sake -- and have them not pay a lot of attention to her when taking her in -- dont even look at her -- trust me, 'reassuring' a dog can simply create a problem in the first place or make it far worse. Sometimes we just don't see how we are being over-attentive and a dog will be a totally different dog going in with a different family member (just as so often those extremely finicky dogs eat with no issue at all when they are staying someonwhere else, and someone else feeds them!). It may be worth a try, because of the serious risk of seizures which could set her back badly. :flwr:

I loved Laura's idea, oh if we could all stay as calm as you. We could learn a lot from you Laura. (y)

:eek: Well, it worked with pills. But you should see me trying to do anything more difficult, like squirting liquid gabapentin in his mouth or inserting eye drops. Then it doesn't matter how calm I am, he's having none of it!

How did it go at the vet's Linda? Does a pill popping device actually exist?

Ok we did go to vet yesterday and he gave me this pill inserter--looks kind of like a tampon plunger (sorry guys but thats the truth-lol) but much narrower. Has the plunger--same sort of idea. Of course like all of you have said the trick is to get it way back there. I'm still having trouble with that but its better. About a hour ago I found a pill in her playpen--that little sucker--I don't think its from today though as her last pill episode I took her outside right after giving her the pills. The vet yesterday in his exact words "I see your dilemma". In regards to being stressed yea I am at times but overall I'm doing pretty good. Of course I get worried and have my moments etc. Overall this is alot easier than I thought it would be. Of course she is sleeping 98% of the time.

Read my blog and it will tell you about today and my anxiety lets say. lol. You do notice that I can put lol. I'm not sitting and crying all the time but of course do sometimes. When we go by the playpen and say hi abbey her tail wags and she's happy. Sometimes she stands up like she is saying Mommy I want to sit with you and I get her out and put her on my lap for awhile which I will do right after these posts.

In regards to liquid vs pills--I'm finding it MUCH easier to get the liquid down her than the pills and I know its because I'm not getting the pills far enough back but like I said everytime since going to the vet its getting better.

Thanks everybody for caring about both Abbey and us. Means alot.

Wonder if you talked to your vet about giving injections instead of pills if they are available? We were going to try this with a guinea pig who's on daily liquid meds that are stressful for her to take. Animals sometimes react much better to the injections, though many Cavaliers seem very sensitive to these as well.

Back