• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Glucosamine and Chrondroitin - No Benefit

Brian M

Last edited:
My impression of the report on Radio 4 this morning was that the research was with people who already have arthritis - that glucosamine etc won't improve their condition. I take glucosamine on the advice of my GP not because I have arthritis, but as a preventative - at about 60, the body stops producing its own glucosamine, so taking it simply replaces the natural supply. I wasn't concerned about getting arthritis, but I was getting rather stiff and didn't want it to affect my country walking with the dogs. Does it work? Well, nine years on, I'm certainly no more stiff than I was then, so it seems to be doing something! So perhaps it's a good preventative for dogs, but won't make much difference if they already have arthritis. But if dogs are like humans, they don't really need to have additional glucosamine until they get older - their body should be producing enough while they are younger. None of my Cavaliers have ever had arthritis anyway - MVD, SM, spondylosis, but not arthritis! I think exercise and weight control, and drying off when wet, are probably more important.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

My almost 8 year old tri. Rebel has arthritis in his back legs. He is not overweight, has plenty of exercise, and well aligned hips, so I started him on 500 mgs of Cod Liver Oil every morning. He has lost the stiffness and almost keeps up with the other four younger dogs when in full flight. His difficulty in climbing stairs has now gone.

I tried taking the dose down to 200 mgs daily, but much of the stiffness came back.

1,000 mgs gave him oily droppings.

I asked our veterinary orthopedic surgeon about glucosamine and chondroitin supplements to prevent arthritis, and he told me it won't prevent arthritis, that there is nothing really can prevent arthritis due to aging.

On the other hand, through my own research, I found that if a dog has luxating patella grade 3 or worse and surgery is not performed early in the condition, while the dog is young, the dog will develop premature arthritis from the wear and tear from the knee cap movement.

I've found that taking either oil supplements or glucosamine/chondroitin for myself helps my ankles, wrists and knee joints feel better. Oils supplements also help lubricate my eyes, so they don't feel dry. I hope our cavaliers get the same benefits that I know I do. :)

My uncle has a Westie with arthritis. He says, since he gave her Glucosamine, a once stiff dog is back to running around like there was nothing wrong. Humans may not notice slight improvements but you can't argue with a dog who doesn't even know he got a supplement.

Yes, I think it really makes them feel better, even if it might not physically improve or prevent any existing arthritis.

I think the glucosamine supplements for dogs made from green-lipped mussels work the best. That's what the vet gave us for our tiny, elderly maltese girl (Tasha at the bridge) when she hit her teens. It was obvious to everyone how much better she felt when she was taking it every day.

Nicki was giving her sweet little oldies an Australian supplement made from green-lipped mussels, and it was working well for them.

Cinders has been on Glycoflex which as well as glucosamine and chrondroitin also has green-lipped mussel.

She was very stiff when getting up in the mornings but once started on this supplement the stiffness went and that was 2 years ago. She still has quite sprightly moments when she thinks she has seen a squirrel or a cat, and still does a little bit of agility (just the flat obstacles).

Back