• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello From Canada!! I'm Henry's mum, who is the love of my life!! His full name is King Henry Love; a bit overweight, just diagnosed with a murmer

Henry's Mum

Hello Everyone,
I found your website and am amazed with the knowledge, passion and love for cavalier's. Henry is a three year old tricolour handsome boy who gives me actual hugs! My grand daughter named him Love, when she was shown a picture of him as a puppy at the breeders and asked what would you call him. She was consistent with the name choice at 6 weeks and 9 weeks, so the name stayed! I must say he lives up to his name as he exudes love for his entire pack, but I must say, has a special love for his mum:) .

I have a few questions: first about loosing weight. Henry is fairly large boy, length wise as well as chest, and is currently 13 kg. He needs to slim down and I'm wondering what the best approach to do that would be. Do I cut down the portion AND limit treats, AND increase activity, or take one action at a time? How much do I cut back his portions by? He is eating Ziwi air dry food ( it's the only thing he will eat!) and receives 1 scoop twice a day, as per the recommendations on the package. He does get treats- dried tenderloin chews about 2/day, and he is not overly active, but will walk an hour once per day in the evening. Any support would be greatly appreciated!

The next question is about MVD. Sadly Henry was just at the vet yesterday and they heard a murmur for the first time; 2/6. He is booked for an echo and cardiologist visit in the next two weeks for further diagnosis. Should I be limiting his activity- don't make him run until the echo is done to have a better idea of his heart function, or carry on as usual?? I'm trying to also help him loose some weight but I'm trying to balance his activity with stress on his heart, with getting rid of the weight which is stressing his heart!

The next question I'm afraid to ask after having done some reading on your website. Henry began yelping if you try to pick him up under the forearms around the age of one. He had an episode of limping on his right front leg as a puppy about 9 months of age, that lasted about a week, but there was no injury and it has not re-appeared, but he walks like there is some stress on his front legs at times, that I attributed to being overweight. Now I'm quietly freaking out its SM! Should I bring this concern forward to his vet, and if so, do I say I'm concerned about SM for the reasons I've brought forward here ,or am I overreacting??

It's been a difficult 24 hours and I'm trying to stay grounded and informed to ensure Henry has the best life possible!

I look forward to your response!!
Christine

Back