• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help!

There is a lot of support here...

You are in my prayers.... every day I pray that Gracie will not have to be treated for this someday. But we all know is it a possibility.

Confirmed: Syringomyelia

It's been confirmed that Luka has Syringomyelia. Well now time to research how to best help him and make his life as comfortable as possible.

I'm so sorry you got that diagnosis and that Luka has joined many other dogs on this board with the sam dreadful disorder. Was his SM diagnosed by a neurologist? If so, wasn't he given any medications to keep him comfortable? Most dogs are at least started on gabapentin - for some it works for others it doesn't. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to play around with the medication and the dosages until you get the right cocktail for your dog.

If you haven't seen a neurologist, I would strongly suggest that you take the disc of the MRI to one who is familiar with SM so you can start Luka on meds right away and relieve some of his pain. At least you've started down the path so you can get him some help. I also have a dog with SM. She was severely affected and had surgery almost 3 years ago. She's doing great right now and is a really happy dog. Good luck with Luka.

Not the best day.

He was diagnosed by the Neurologist today, so when I pick him up I am sure she will give me medication regiment to follow. I bought some feeding dishes that are higher up and new water dishes.

Not sure what exactly the protocol will be, but now is the time for management of his discomfort. I am not sure we can afford the surgery. Right now I need to get as educated as I can.

I emailed the breeder.

I'm so sorry your Luka has this dreadful disease. You seem to be doing everything you can at the moment-making Luka comfortable, educating yourself on the disease and e-mailing the breeder. You can then make an informed rationale decision as to what the next step will be.

It's been confirmed that Luka has Syringomyelia. Well now time to research how to best help him and make his life as comfortable as possible.

I am so sorry.

There is a lot of us here with SM dogs. We will help and support you all we can.

Thank you for informing Luka's breeder, people do need to know when they have produced a SM cavalier.

Ruby, my 2 year old tri-color also sees Dr. Kline. She's great! :)
Please feel free to email me! My email address is: [email protected]
We can help eachother out I'm sure. My girl was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. Her medicine has made a huge difference and she is acting like her old self again! Please don't be sad, there's hope. Also, everyone here is very helpful!
Hang in there, and don't hesitate to write! Maybe we can meet at the park sometime and our little guys can play! :)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Sending lots of love to you and Luka. I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis, I do not have experience in it myself, but I know a lot do on this board and will no doubt be of endless support to you.
xx

surgery is not an effective option

I looked at the MRI and know why Dr Kline didn't mention it. Luka has cysts down his entire spinal cord.

I am sorry you have had this diagnosis. You should definitely have a longer talk with Dr Kline about the MRI, possible treatment approaches, her guess on prognosis with different routes of care. It is hard to initially take in, I know. I was in shock with the first cavalier I had diagnosed. It can be hard to know what to ask at the time, but the neuro should take the time to explain the MRI to you.

You will likely see a quick improvement in symptoms with some pain medications like gabapentin. That alone can help give you some breathing space to think about what you will wish to do. There are no right or wrong approaches as long as the goal is pain relief for as long as we can provide it. We all choose many different approaches depending on many different factors.

I am another one who is so sorry that you have had this diagnosis. It's such a shock and difficult to believe at first that your Cavalier has this disease.

And I am another Forum member who's dog has SM. Rebel has curvature of the spine as well, although you would never believe it to watch him move.

Apart from that Rebel is one of the luckier SM dogs in that he did not have any symptoms at all until a few months ago, (he is 8 1/2 yrs old) but then he got really badly, but I would rather not think of that terrible time, because he has been stablised on a low dose of Frusemide, 20 mg twice a day.

I wonder if the 'cysts' you have seen on the CD are in fact syrinxes, i.e. pockets of fluid showing up white on the scan.

Have you looked at the Stone Lion site on the internet. Clare Rusbridge gives some really good explanations of the disease, it's effects and possible treatments. My vet thinks her treatment matrix is marvelous :D

We are all here for you, as the others have said. Keep in touch please.

Hi Flo, sorry to hear about Rebel and glad frusemide has helped.

Sometimes 'cysts' is used as an alternative term for syrinxes but it means the same thing -- confusing for us laypeople trying to understand what is going on!

Back